Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Does anybody out there play a 'Tater-Bug'?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline genemaniac

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 4
Does anybody out there play a 'Tater-Bug'?
« on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »
My mando is an old bowl back from around 1906.  It belonged to my grandfather. who, accordng to family history, used it back in the day to court his future wife.  When I was a kid I remember seeing it hanging around in his garage.  My siblings and I would plunk around on it, but it never really got seriously played.  I never recall ever hearing my grandfather playing it either. 
After my grandfather passed away, my sister got the mando and kept it at her home in California for many years.  In 2009 she sent it to me, citing that I would probably get more use out of it than she would.
As for the mando itself, its an American Conservatory, which was a mid-quality instrument produced by Lyon & Healy out of Chicago at the turn of the 20th century.  (Lyon & Healy are better known for their harps).
The instrument is in excellent shape and is totally playable.  The original strings are still on it. I should replace them because some of the lowers have missing windings.   I have found that I play this mando more and more, and plan to incorporate it into some of my upcoming gigs. I have really found it very enjoyable playing this antique instrument, especially one with a pretty cool family history.

Advertise Here

Offline captthighbiter

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: Does anybody out there play a 'Tater-Bug'?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »
I have had a number of tater bugs given to me over the years, by folks who, like you , have inherited them. While the craftsmanship on these is usually pretty good ( the backs take quite a bit of effort to get right) they all share the same general sound; quiet, thin, with not much projection. 

Offline genemaniac

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
Yep, when I play it at any but the smallest rooms, I have to belly up to a mic to be heard.

Offline genemaniac

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
Finally found a new set of strings for the ol' tater bug.  Got em' on a couple of weeks ago, and what a difference!!!  It is a whole new instrument now, and I find myself picking it up and playing it during practice just as much as I play my violins and guitars.  What a joy! I've  since used it for several public gigs, and it holds its own very well (mic'd, of course).

Offline fiddler542

• Total Badges: 27
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:13:13 AM »
I do, mine is an old Vega Regent made in Boston.  As a fiddler I like the lower string tension that keeps my fingers from turning into hamburger. 
Oops, got distracted, got it out and played a few tunes. 
OK, time to go to bed so I can get up early enough to go skiing.

Howie

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal