Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: octave mandolins  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Lyn

• Total Badges: 16
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 4 Sixth year Anniversary Level 3
octave mandolins
« on: Jul 14, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »
Speak to me of octave mandolins/mandolas depending on geography. I was taken by a beauty in the shop when I bought my mandolin last year but resisted. Now it looks like a case of IA-Syndrome. I want want want. Anyone any ideas on quality of for example the Hobgoblin models - I checked out the handmade OMs and gave myself a heart attack. They are pieces of artwork and well worth every penny, I know,  but I don't have that kind of money.

I don't know of any music shops in the county selling OMs (Norfolk, UK) and I wouldn't risk getting anything on eBay. I'd love the opportunity to go and see a selection, but can't find anywhere remotely near. I don't mind a drive but Cornwall and Scotland are out of the question!

Has anyone any ideas?Whatever I bought I'd want to see that it was properly set up, so that's another consideration.

Hoping someone has a few helpful suggestions - thanks,
Lynne.

Offline catty

• Total Badges: 11
    Level 3 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
Re: octave mandolins
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2010, 02:14:59 AM »
I'm new here as of today, Lyn.  I'm surprised no one has responded to your inquiry.

Generally, the best bang/buck for a decent OM is the Trinity College--imported from China (they sell used for around $400 USD).  I currently own a Freshwater--made in Scotland--which is a very good value also.  Other decent OMs under ~$1K are Petersen, Gypsy.  You could get a starter OM like Hobgoblin, Hora, Johnson, etc., but these are of considerably lesser quality, generally.

Everything you'd like to know about OMs is available on the mandolin cafe.  Notice that the most recent thread is addressing your very question:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?50-CBOM

Offline strings

• Total Badges: 18
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Level 4
Re: octave mandolins
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »
Looked here Lyn ? http://www.moonguitars.co.uk/moonhome.html   Considered by many to be the best quality in the UK and the most reasonably priced. I want one, but im biased, my neighbours son works for jimmy moon so I know hands on the quality of these instruments.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal