Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Chin-Free shoulder rest?  (Read 16079 times)

Offline shimmy

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Linux User Eighth year Anniversary
Chin-Free shoulder rest?
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:27:32 AM »
Hello!

I've been dreaming on playing without using my chin!

I found the NS design Balanced Shoulder-rest system, but it's too bizarre and visible (I can't wear a white shirt playing with it...) and very expensive, also I never heard no feedback about it.

Anyway, are there other brands with ideas? Is the NS thingy indeed the only solution as for now?

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
Re: Chin-Free shoulder rest?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:51:33 PM »
Some people loop a scarf under the tailpiece and around their shoulder.
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline bluesviolin

• give me a 12 bar and turn me loose
  • bluesviolin

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:43:28 PM »
I wonder if this would mute or change the sound of an accoustic to any significant degree? But when I say any significant degree, I find that even regular shoulder rests from one to the other will change the sound. I have one that I like the feel of a bit better but one that sounds better and I lean toward the one that sounds better.
"Striving to attain Mediocrity"

Offline shimmy

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:24:34 AM »
Some people loop a scarf under the tailpiece and around their shoulder.

Sorry about my English, what means 'tailpience'?
Can you elaborate?

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 03:29:18 AM »
On an acoustic violin, the strings attach to the tailpiece (cordier, Saitenhalter, cordal) near the bridge.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:42:43 AM by beeswing »

Offline shimmy

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:33:07 AM »
I found the NS design Balanced Shoulder-rest system, but it's too bizarre and visible (I can't wear a white shirt playing with it...) and very expensive, also I never heard no feedback about it.

Is it reliable? strong enough? adjustable? anyone?

Offline bluesviolin

• give me a 12 bar and turn me loose
  • bluesviolin

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 04:50:16 AM »
I wonder if this would mute or change the sound of an accoustic to any significant degree?

Halloo out there Mr. beeswing sir. Sounds like you have some experience/knowledge of this things. Do you have one? I am by nature resistant to radical change, but they've got me curious. I looked at the vid. Do you have any further opinions?
"Striving to attain Mediocrity"

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
Nope, I have seen somebody try the scarf trick, but she soon went back to the regular way of holding the fiddle. I think one of the members on the Pacific coast has experience with the NS balanced shoulder rest... Mat?

I have tried somebody else's Bon Musica shoulder rest, which can be shaped so it hooks over the shoulder, but not so extremely as the NS rest. That player liked the security of having the instrument planted firmly and immovably on her shoulder. I could live with it, I suppose. I use a Mach One rest on my 16.5" viola, and like the shape of it a lot, but I will play whatever comes within reach. My violin has a smallish velvet-covered pad (Maestro from Shar) which is just right for me. When I play without a shoulder rest, I often put something under my shirt like a rolled-up washcloth to help locate things. That is just one story out of numerous others, but it is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Offline zaivanbuijs

Search Tenth year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
I've experimented with a scarf going under the tailpiece and around the neck shoulder a bit, and tried other things as well last year. I think I went trying out stuff because my left hand thumb was sore one day and I saw something on the forum about a fiddle sling or something like that. I wanted to give it a bit of a rest and went trying things out leading to a setup allowing me to hold the fiddle a bit lower then I normally do, which is nice because you hear it more like how other people hear it, and you hear the other players in a jam better and still be able to play as loud as you like. 

Anyway, it was a lot of hassle, I like just picking the fiddle up and butting it against my neck and playing instead of having to strap it on first, so I went back to just holding it up with my left hand. I looked at the rest in the picture and that to me looks like it'd be very restricting in moving about, I like to be able to move the fiddle about in relation to the rest of me, or move about a bit without the fiddle changing position in relation to my bow arm. I like the freedom of movement without a shoulder rest and how light the fiddle is without a chin rest, and I don't feel a need for one either since the fiddle isn't touching my chin or jaw.

Offline shimmy

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »
I wonder if this would mute or change the sound of an accoustic to any significant degree? But when I say any significant degree, I find that even regular shoulder rests from one to the other will change the sound. I have one that I like the feel of a bit better but one that sounds better and I lean toward the one that sounds better.

Regarding the sound, it's not so significant. I don't care about this part. I use an in bridge piezo pickup, I don't think the sound will be affected anyway; I believe for recordings I will not use it, I will do only for performance.

I looked at the rest in the picture and that to me looks like it'd be very restricting in moving about, I like to be able to move the fiddle about in relation to the rest of me, or move about a bit without the fiddle changing position in relation to my bow arm. I like the freedom of movement without a shoulder rest and how light the fiddle is without a chin rest, and I don't feel a need for one either since the fiddle isn't touching my chin or jaw.

Inteteresting pov.

But I personally don't care because I do want the fiddle to become just another arm of me, I just one to be free with head movement, I don't think it locks down your entire body anyway.
If its price would be thoughtful I would surely buy it, but since it's way too expensive, I wanna hear from users who used it if I am going to become a bitter person about these bux I wasted on it.

Thanks guys for sharing your ideas, and I hope to hear from anyone who used it asap...

Offline soundboot

• Total Badges: 29
    Mobile User Quick Poster Search
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »
I have a happynex www.happynex.com  combined with a Bon Musica shoulder rest with my own extension on the shoulder hook bit. The Happynex goes around the chinrest rather than under the tailpiece as shown on their site. It works perfectly! There is something about the material of the happinex that makes it just right to easily take the violin on and off. My own experiments with scarfs were not so satisfactory.

Offline chrisandcello

• Total Badges: 24
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »
I made my own version of a happynex with 3/4" black knicker elastic. (yes, I'm now commando ;))
It connects at both ends with velcro...so no fancy knots digging in the back
So much cheaper, more discreet and perfectly effective and comfortable.....

Offline shimmy

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
www.happynex.com

I ordered it.
Reasonable price is.

Even tho the NS system looks more promising, it's price is wicked!

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 02:37:15 AM »
I think one of the members on the Pacific coast has experience with the NS balanced shoulder rest... Mat?
I'm using it on an NS WAV and CR5 electric violins... it works well for me. It's nice to be able to play and not worry about holding the violin... and to look straight ahead and left and right while playing. I have played a Mark Wood Viper and the experience is pretty similar.

If they made the violin-side piece available to use the electric balanced rest with an acoustic, I'd probably have one, but FOM/Muco/Bon Musica rests and Teka chinrests work well enough. $315US is a bit rich for something as simple as a shoulder rest... the one for the NS electrics is less than half that.
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline shimmy

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 02:57:55 AM »
$315US is a bit rich for something as simple as a shoulder rest...
It's not a 'bit' rich, it's just totally cruel, I am never gonna buy it for that amount, this is piggy.
Can't wait for new ideas in the market.

I have a happynex www.happynex.com  combined with a Bon Musica shoulder rest with my own extension on the shoulder hook bit. The Happynex goes around the chinrest rather than under the tailpiece as shown on their site. It works perfectly! There is something about the material of the happinex that makes it just right to easily take the violin on and off. My own experiments with scarfs were not so satisfactory.
I watched their video on youtube and it looks a little unsafe.
Won't it breake the tailpiece/strings holder?? Is the chireset safe? I looks like one wrong move and it will get the heck out of the violin.
BTW, if I you notice, there is one string missing in her viola, I am sure she ripped off a few string experiment her thingy.
Also, it will probably tighten the stings with every move, it looks very dangerous to me.
Do you use it?

Offline chrisandcello

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 10:25:58 AM »
Try the knicker elastic threaded under the tail....it offers adequate support without being vice like.

Offline soundboot

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »
I don't put mine under the tailpiece, I put it around the chinrest. Also, I keep mine knotted all the time and just stretch it over the chinrest. If your chinrest is secure enough it seems quite safe. Most of the time my hand is there anyway so I don't feel it's that risky.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 10:04:32 PM »
It's not a 'bit' rich, it's just totally cruel
If you have an orthopedic problem that prevents you from playing the violin any other way (certain neck and upper back injuries I could see) then it's probably fair, even though it isn't marketed as an orthopedic device. I would hope they start selling just the violin holder separately and design some sort of quick-release system from the shoulder bar... then I'd think about getting it for the acoustics.

Even if you're just sitting or standing in front of a music stand, it definitely extends the amount of time you can play or practice without getting discomfort.

Offline MusicalGirevik

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »
The Happy Nex looks interesting!  At $20, it costs less than my Kun shoulder rest.

Oh wait, it's not a shoulder rest.  Doh.  :-[

Offline shimmy

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 12:02:58 AM »
If you have an orthopedic problem...

No. Thanks god I ain't got no orthopedic prob, but I do like (when playing the acoustic), to look at my audience and have my neck and head free to move everywere.

Even if you're just sitting or standing in front of a music stand, it definitely extends the amount of time you can play or practice without getting discomfort.
Do you mean when playing with a normal shoulder-rest? so that the NS SR will solve the problem? well my goal is not the neck pain or the discomfort, but the desire of having my neck and head free to go while the left hand is not the one that has to hold/support the violin.
I think, after 400 years, it's time for violinists to be able to feel nerd-free or geekless, and having to stick their heads leftwards-downwards but just total free head.

Offline Varian

• Total Badges: 26
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 04:36:20 PM »
Honestly, in my opinion, the Happynex looks utterly stupid, and I can't believe that they're marketing this thing. The average person with an ounce of creativity could make one of those for far less than $20... I'd just wait until they come out with better, and cheaper, chin-free shoulder rest technology.

Offline chrisandcello

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
Snob value in the violin world is important to some people for some unimaginable reason...or maybe some just have more disposable income....
Just try some elastic and velcro at 50p uk....it might even be better than what you pay bigger money for
I've used the 3/4" elastic in the past to relieve the muscular monotony of practice...works fine.
Obviously, for performance...image (no holster) is an issue

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »
Now that I see that the Happy Nex requires a shoulder rest, I don't quite get the point of it.

That said, more power to those who feel they benefit from it or a home-made rendition thereof.

Offline soundboot

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 02:02:19 PM »
Some are using the Happinex without a shoulder rest but I use one with it myself. What's the point? Complete freedom! The violin sits in the right place without the chin.
I will say that their video doesn't do it justice and I don't use it that way at all. It would be a real nuisance having somebody tie it up for you each time. I just keep mine in a loop, put it over my shoulder and hook it around my chinrest.
It seems expensive for a piece of cloth but I tried my own version before I came across Happinex. I tried velcro, those straps that click together and all kinds of things with little success but the Happinex has an elastic quality to it which makes it easy to pull on and off. I would compare making your own to making you own guitar strap - sure you can but the right materials are essential. Maybe it is overpriced but it has saved my back! As an added bonus you can keep your head a bit further from the violin and save your hearing.

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »
Some are using the Happinex without a shoulder rest but I use one with it myself. What's the point? Complete freedom! The violin sits in the right place without the chin.
I will say that their video doesn't do it justice and I don't use it that way at all. It would be a real nuisance having somebody tie it up for you each time. I just keep mine in a loop, put it over my shoulder and hook it around my chinrest.
It seems expensive for a piece of cloth but I tried my own version before I came across Happinex. I tried velcro, those straps that click together and all kinds of things with little success but the Happinex has an elastic quality to it which makes it easy to pull on and off. I would compare making your own to making you own guitar strap - sure you can but the right materials are essential. Maybe it is overpriced but it has saved my back! As an added bonus you can keep your head a bit further from the violin and save your hearing.

Sounds cool, soundboot.  I actually don't think the Happy Nex is that expensive at $20 US.  Then again, Europe is in an economic crisis, so I guess Europeans would find $20 to be "tres cher".

I kid, I kid!

Anyway, I'll probably go for the NS Design, for my electric violin.

BTW, in the i-youknowhat apps arena (you and I are the only ones interested in this arena here anyway), I'm now looking at Everyday Looper.

Offline shimmy

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
Now that I see that the Happy Nex requires a shoulder rest, I don't quite get the point of it.

Even a shoulder-rest is required, the point is that you go chin free.
I would compare making your own to making you own guitar strap - sure you can but the right materials are essential.

Good comparison, especially when heard from an experienced user.

Also 20 bux is not that big damage either.

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 09:10:39 PM »
Even a shoulder-rest is required, the point is that you go chin free.

soundboot just said that some people use the Happy Nex without a shoulder rest.

But I do apologize for forgetting that you started this thread looking for a way to play violin without using your chin to hold it.

Offline shimmy

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 09:28:50 PM »
But I do apologize for forgetting that you started this thread looking for a way to play violin without using your chin to hold it.

It's OK. It's always good to hear other people's aspects. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 10:43:07 PM »
Let's copy the Welshmen: check out this crwth player:

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
... and the Australian version of the HappyNex, the FiddleEzy:
http://www.merrylandsmusic.com.au/Merrylandsmusic/Fiddle-Ezy.htm

Edit: and there's the VioStrap!
http://viostrap.com/

Offline chrisandcello

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 11:00:27 PM »
I don't get it...commerce ???....3/4" elastic under the tail...bit of velcro for lump free removable join...no chinrest..no shoulder rest...job done  :-X

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 11:03:34 PM »
I don't get it...commerce ???....3/4" elastic under the tail...bit of velcro for lump free removable join...no chinrest..no shoulder rest...job done  :-X
Do a search on one of the patent sites for "violin support" or "violin holder"... lots of "S'not-so-sure-it's-better" mousetraps out there! ;D

Offline shimmy

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 11:57:53 PM »
Do a search on one of the patent sites for "violin support" or "violin holder"... lots of "S'not-so-sure-it's-better" mousetraps out there! ;D

WOW! madmat, well done! im glad i opened this post now!

Offline Graham Clark

Apple User Mobile User Search
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 12:19:43 AM »
I can replace all that with my left hand and my collarbone.

gah!

gc

Offline shimmy

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 12:28:20 AM »
I can replace all that with my left hand and my collarbone.

But then you can't move your neck clockwise   :P

Offline Graham Clark

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 11:00:10 AM »
But then you can't move your neck clockwise   :P

don't understand....???

Offline shimmy

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »
I meant that with some SRs, you can freely turn your head and your chin is free...

Offline Graham Clark

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 11:52:27 AM »
Oh - I can do that as well... hehehheheeh!

Offline woodwiz

Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 01:46:26 PM »
You mean like this? Tricia doesn't seem to have a problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSupolg2VmI#

To me, a chin free shoulder rest makes about as much sense as a shoulder free chin rest. Of course, I'm not exactly partial to shoulder rests, either.  To me. it's kinda like using crutches when there's nothing wrong with your legs......

Offline Mina the fiddler

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 02:29:47 PM »
I've experimented with various ways to tie various scarfs around my viola and then neck/Shoulders/back....
I've tried the "happynex"-way of doing it and it makes me feel that my shoulder muscles are hindered in a way and i adjust my bowing to that, so it's no good. What i like about the idea of the viostrap is that it is fixed under the far end of the instrument beneath the fingerboard. On the other hand i can't imagine it to feel good to put the full weight of my viola onto my neck! That is suffering already enough without one...

i think the best thing about this discussion is that it inspires me to go off and try to fabricate my own happynex/viostrap combination!

Offline zaivanbuijs

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »
What GC says, hand and neck/collar bone do the trick perfectly. I can turn my head to the left or to the right while playing (talking or singing wouldn't be a problem except for the mind side of it, when I talk while fiddling I usually mess up the tune), and without all the extra's attached a fiddle doesn't weigh much.  My toying with a strap/sling thing was a sort of cross between the happynex and the violin strap (I used nylon stocking, nice and stretchy and cheap and handy to clean rosin off of the strings with).

Offline chrisandcello

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »
Probably, the best thing to do is learn to play with no hands  ???

Offline zaivanbuijs

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »
No, that'd not work, one needs the hands, or at least one.

But I think two is a lot handier :)

Offline shimmy

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 11:54:24 PM »
The problem on playing chin-rest free is when you have to jump position (like from 1st to 5th+)

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 12:16:23 AM »
The problem on playing chin-rest free is when you have to jump position (like from 1st to 5th+)
Oh, going UP is no problem. It's shifting DOWN that causes catastrophes. ;D

The Steinberger system and the Wood Viper support system work well in this regard, though.

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 08:13:01 PM »

I'd love to hear how that sounds

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2010, 08:27:45 PM »
I'd love to hear how that sounds
This site was linked off the Wikipedia page:
http://www.bragod.com/bragodvideo.html

Pretty cool. Really "strapping", to make a terrible pun. ;D

Edit: Not sure what I want to hear thru a AdrenaLinn more, this thing or a pedal steel...

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »
Oh, going UP is no problem. It's shifting DOWN that causes catastrophes. ;D

The Steinberger system and the Wood Viper support system work well in this regard, though.

Having tried the Wood Viper, I can vouch for this.  No problems shifting up or down.

I want to get the Steinberger for my upcoming e-violin because I also play keyboards in our band.  Switching back and forth is much faster - I bet even faster than Eddie Jobson can switch back and forth between keys and conventionally supported violin.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2010, 09:54:36 PM »
I'd love to see what John Jordan could come up with for a hands-free support system for his axes.

His approach to the blank canvas is simultaneously unconventional and elegant.

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »
This site was linked off the Wikipedia page:
http://www.bragod.com/bragodvideo.html

Pretty cool. Really "strapping", to make a terrible pun. ;D

Edit: Not sure what I want to hear thru a AdrenaLinn more, this thing or a pedal steel...

Thanks!  I like the sound - quite eerie.

Offline martyn

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »
ProfessorV does a neat trick with a belt half way through this video at around the 2 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9WUdDoj2Hg&playnext_from=TL&videos=93lyCvQThJ8&feature=grec_index#

Offline Graham Clark

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2010, 08:52:03 PM »
To reply to the original post, try holding the fiddle in your left hand.

gc

Offline Mina the fiddler

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 02:13:28 PM »
@martyn: Yea, but the problem that my shoulder muscles of the bow arm get kind of hemmed in remains.

Offline soundboot

« Reply #53 on: Jun 03, 2010, 03:39:49 AM »
What prof.V does in the video is exactly what i do with the Happinex.

Offline jervs

• Total Badges: 25
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #54 on: Jun 03, 2010, 09:36:38 AM »

Not to be too picky and divert the thread but isn't a woman Madmat?  :o

Back on topic, I find myself in agreement with gc, zaivanbuijs, woodwiz. It's the use of the shoulder rest as a fulcrum that is the basis of chin and neck problems. If you can discipline yourself to use it just as a friction aid and for occasional additional security then it's ok, but many people fall into the habit of permanently clamping down with the chin and then sometimes even hanging the weight of the left arm off the scroll of the violin which greatly exacerbates the problems. If you use your left hand to support the scroll end then there is no need for clamping with the chin apart from for a little security during down shifts perhaps.
This bloke looks pretty relaxed without chin rest or shoulder rest, or straps!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0nW4pEjocM#
Martin

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #55 on: Jun 03, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
Not to be too picky and divert the thread but isn't a woman Madmat?  :o
The Welshpersons? Welshpeople? Well, sh---!

Judging from the secondary sexual characteristics of this specimen, I'd say it's safe to guess that this is a female of the species. But, living in California, it takes an examination to be sure! ;D Thanks for the assist!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled support garment thread.

Offline jervs

« Reply #56 on: Jun 03, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »
But, living in California, it takes an examination to be sure!

Some people have problems in Wales too! There was a classic case in Swansea a few months back where a local drunk tried to snatch a girls handbag. The 'girl' turned out to be a cage fighter in drag! Needless to say the thief got a good going over for his troubles. I wouldn't want to condone violence but it did seem like poetic justice.  See link from 1:20 if interested. Not all nights out in Swansea are like this - just Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays usually!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNGw9mCxCug#ws

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #57 on: Sep 24, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »
I'm using it on an NS WAV and CR5 electric violins... it works well for me. It's nice to be able to play and not worry about holding the violin... and to look straight ahead and left and right while playing.

I just received my EVL violin.  Unfortunately, the local shop doesn't have the NS Balanced Shoulder Rest in stock (special order only). Judging from the picture, the EVL's bout is probably too small.  It probably would facilitate switching between playing keys and violin within the same song or from one song to the next, but I'm sure I could work around that, using a more conventional shoulder rest.  If speed of switching roles become an issue, I could look into a Happy Nex or something like that.

Offline Meggly

• Total Badges: 18
    Sixth year Anniversary Apple User Level 4
« Reply #58 on: Sep 24, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
Not all nights out in Swansea are like this - just Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays usually!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNGw9mCxCug#ws

The only time I've ever been punched was during a night out in Swansea...

I swear it wasn't my fault guv'.  ::)

Offline jervs

« Reply #59 on: Sep 25, 2010, 08:34:33 AM »
Apologies on behalf of my adopted home town! Was it in Wind street? If so that doesn't count. Wind street is a separate state a bit like the Vatican in Rome, except for the fishnet stockings and basques!
MArtin

Offline FiddleMeThis

• “He was a fiddler, and consequently a rogue.” – Jonathan Swift
  • Forum Friend

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #60 on: Sep 29, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »
I'm really glad I found this discussion.  Lot's of good ideas to experiment with.  I've been looking for a solution the last few weeks. Madmat's suggestion to me about the NS balanced support for acoustics looks very promising be at around $300USD too pricey for me.

I started tinkering with an old nylon strap from a camera case and slinging it like the Happynex sling and it seems to be working for me pretty well. I can tell you it's really sweet to be able to play again.  It's been frustrating not being able to for the last month and it will probably be a couple more months before I can get rid of this neck collar.

Cheers,
Ken

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #61 on: Sep 29, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »
It's been frustrating not being able to for the last month and it will probably be a couple more months before I can get rid of this neck collar.
I wonder if it makes sense to rigidly affix the fiddle to the collar... it could work.

Several have remarked that the NS hanging on its own while I'm strumming a uke or a mando looks like I was born with some extra chromosomes or sump'n.

Offline FiddleMeThis

• Forum Friend

« Reply #62 on: Sep 29, 2010, 07:59:51 PM »
I wonder if it makes sense to rigidly affix the fiddle to the collar... it could work.
Some kind of rig like the clamp attachment for a standard fiddle to the NS balanced could probably be adapted to a rigid cervical neck collar but it would be complicated and you probably wouldn't want the additional weight on your neck.  No I think the NS would be the ideal solution because it moves all the weight to your back and shoulders and completely removes any stress from the neck. But again - the big NS draw back is it's way overpriced.
Several have remarked that the NS hanging on its own while I'm strumming a uke or a mando looks like I was born with some extra chromosomes or sump'n.
add a few prosthetic arms and you could be a one man band ;D

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #63 on: Sep 29, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
add a few prosthetic arms and you could be a one man band ;D
Prosthetic? This was discussed in a banjo thread by a cancer patient...

http://www.fiddleforum.com/fiddleforum/index.php?topic=28549.0

Put the lotus blossoms down and you can play a banjo. ;)

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #64 on: Sep 29, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »

The crwth player is Cass Meurig

http://www.cassmeurig.com/

You really wouldn't want to hear too much of it. Cass is the only person I know who can make it sound at all musical. Usually it's very scratchy with no depth to the sound.

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

• Total Badges: 32
    Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #65 on: Sep 30, 2010, 09:04:33 AM »
that instrument looks a lot like the Swedish stråkharpe or Danish strygeharpe -

www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline FiddleMeThis

• Forum Friend

« Reply #66 on: Sep 30, 2010, 11:30:47 AM »
Sean Folsom offers some interesting info on these bowed string instruments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6brp0PTlb4#

Sean is a music historian from the American mid west. A side note, he owns the most fascinating and diverse collection of bagpipes I've ever seen.

Offline shimmy

« Reply #67 on: Oct 30, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »
To reply to the original post, try holding the fiddle in your left hand.

gc

@Graham, the problem is when changing positions; if the left hand is responsible for changing positions, it gets stuck when changing positions. Any tips/links on this aspect will be very appreciated.

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #68 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
@Graham, the problem is when changing positions; if the left hand is responsible for changing positions, it gets stuck when changing positions. Any tips/links on this aspect will be very appreciated.

Graham explains everything here:
http://www.fiddleforum.com/fiddleforum/index.php?topic=34446.0

Offline shimmy

« Reply #69 on: Nov 02, 2011, 02:37:12 AM »
Graham explains everything here:
http://www.fiddleforum.com/fiddleforum/index.php?topic=34446.0

Thank you!!
I think it's better to invest time to practice that rather than investing $350+ on NS should rest which might get addicted to.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal