Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Bow sliding  (Read 7776 times)

Offline andyt_32

• Total Badges: 12
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 3 Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
Bow sliding
« on: Mar 11, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »
Recently, my bow has been sliding all over my strings and is hard to control. Even when I rosin the bow it still does it. I've been playing for a year and a half and although my technique isn't perfect, it's not bad enough for the bow to be doing that as much as it does.

Does anyone know why and what I can do about it?

Many thanks

Offline Mnfele

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
Re: Bow sliding
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:00:05 PM »
I've been playing for a year and a half and although my technique isn't perfect, it's not bad enough for the bow to be doing that as much as it does.

Question, was your bow sliding at all before? If not, think about what you are doing differently. Sometimes we make changes in our playing without even realizing it.

If your bow has always been sliding and you are using the rosin correctly, it is a technique problem. A bit more info would help since there are many right hand  issues that could be involved.   

Offline andyt_32

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
Question, was your bow sliding at all before? If not, think about what you are doing differently. Sometimes we make changes in our playing without even realizing it.

If your bow has always been sliding and you are using the rosin correctly, it is a technique problem. A bit more info would help since there are many right hand  issues that could be involved.   

Thanks for your reply.

The bow hasn't always been sliding - it wasn't prefect but it seems to slide so much now and rosin isn't helping. Could it be the bow needs a re hair?

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
Possibly. Any chance that your shoulder is moving back and forth causing the slide?

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Emma

• Senior Moderator
  • If you can walk, you can dance.

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Quick Poster Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:30:02 PM »
Can you stand by a mirror while you play?  You might be able to figure it out.  Better yet, video yourself; then you can take a more objective view.

Try long slow bows.  Really long, really slow.  Relax the right arm from the shoulder.  Keep elbow lower than the wrist, and let the weight of your hand and bow keep the bow on the strings.  Don't push.  Pull for both up and down bow.  If that sounds odd, think of leading with the front edge of the hand for the up bow and the back edge of the hand for the down bow.

Long, slow bows.

Good luck!
Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.
(Michael Pollan)

Offline andyt_32

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:37:31 PM »
Can you stand by a mirror while you play?  You might be able to figure it out.  Better yet, video yourself; then you can take a more objective view.

Try long slow bows.  Really long, really slow.  Relax the right arm from the shoulder.  Keep elbow lower than the wrist, and let the weight of your hand and bow keep the bow on the strings.  Don't push.  Pull for both up and down bow.  If that sounds odd, think of leading with the front edge of the hand for the up bow and the back edge of the hand for the down bow.

Long, slow bows.

Good luck!

Thank you! You're better than my teacher...

Offline woodwiz

• Total Badges: 24
    Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »
Long slow bows is a  very good suggestion.  So is using a mirror. 

If your bow is square to the strings, and has enough rosin on it to make a sound, it won't slide by itself. The only way it will slide is if you don't have it square to the strings, or if you are putting sideways pressure on it.

Both those exercises help with that.

Offline bwzuk

• Total Badges: 31
    Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »
Beware, too much rosin can make the bow slide as well as not enough, so don't over do it. Also cheap bows (particularly some of the ones that come with beginner fiddle outfits) are really bad at tracking straight.

But technique should be the first thing to check.

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 24
    Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
I've had a very few people with this problem ask for help where the bow wasn't well balanced.  They'd gotten more relaxed and gradually the bow started fighting them.  Cheap clunky sticks.  Might think about that.  Usually it isn't the equipment, but sometimes it is. 

Offline chuck1

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »
Interesting that the bow has just started with this problem.  After starting up again after 4 years off I do find that I have some bow sliding, however, originally the bow sliding got better with each bow upgrade I made.

In my case I am not relaxed and the fiddle/bow seems hard to play.  It is no doubt my technique now...chuck

Offline johnnythirtyfour

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2010, 01:22:46 AM »
"Don't push.  Pull for both up and down bow.  If that sounds odd, think of leading with the front edge of the hand for the up bow and the back edge of the hand for the down bow."

excellent word picture!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Offline sirena

Level 3 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:14:57 AM »
I had this happen to me once in the beginning after doing some pizzicato exercices beacause i was plucking the part of the string where you bow( between fingerboard and bridge), that you're not supposed to touch w/ your fingers. The oils in your skin get onto the strings and prevent the rosin from sticking. Since it was time to change my strings anyway i went ahead and put a new set on and the problem went away.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:57:04 PM by sirena »

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »
A few of the kids around here sometimes let their scrolls droop. Telling them to straighten up and play right doesn't seem to help much, my wife finds, but pointing out how easy that makes it for the bow to drift out over the fingerboard gives them a reason to keep the fiddle up where she likes to see it. Probably low on the list of likely reasons for a sliding bow, but something to think about...
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal