Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Sheet music to ABC  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Erik

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Sheet music to ABC
« on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »
Hej, I have the sheet music on paper and want to make an ABC to share it to others.

Is there a simple conversion chart? I cant find any.

T:Title
X: For Concertina
C:?
M:?
K:KEY signature
The dots....

So what I want is a chart that says, open A string = type this
Open D string = type that

and so on, is there any?

thanks /Erik

Offline Erik

Re: Sheet music to ABC
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »
Is there nowhere a straight forward translation table for sheet music and ABC?
Do I realy have to download other tunes and run them in concertina to get out the parts?

Offline zaivanbuijs

• Total Badges: 27
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »
Hi Erik, writing abc is fairly simple once you get going. Here's a page with an abc tutorial.

http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm#intro

I use abc-explorer these days when typing up tunes as abc's so I can see what I type right away, and when I'm done I can listen to the midi to check if I didn't make any silly mistakes.

Open G is G, then going on up on that string you have A, B, C (notice no comma) D which is also open D which is D then up E F G and A what is also open A. Then on the A string after the open string you have B c d e (which is open e) and on that string you get f g a b and then you can go on but that'd mean leaving first position on the fiddle.

The key in the K: field defines what notes are sharp or flat in that key, when there's an extra sharp you precede that note with a ^
for flats you put _ before the note and for notes that you want natural that'd have a sharp or flat in the key given you use the = before the note

Rests are z

There's the standard note length which is an eight note if you don't define it otherwise up in the header fields.

For more, check the tutorial or I'd be re-typing the whole thing, lol.

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
X:1 (an arbitrary number)
T:Title
M:3/4 (Time signature)
L:1/8 (American note lengths)
K:Key

These are the basics for Concertina.

Offline Erik

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »
Hi Erik, writing abc is fairly simple once you get going. Here's a page with an abc tutorial.

http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm#intro

I use abc-explorer these days when typing up tunes as abc's so I can see what I type right away, and when I'm done I can listen to the midi to check if I didn't make any silly mistakes.

Open G is G, then going on up on that string you have A, B, C (notice no comma) D which is also open D which is D then up E F G and A what is also open A. Then on the A string after the open string you have B c d e (which is open e) and on that string you get f g a b and then you can go on but that'd mean leaving first position on the fiddle.

The key in the K: field defines what notes are sharp or flat in that key, when there's an extra sharp you precede that note with a ^
for flats you put _ before the note and for notes that you want natural that'd have a sharp or flat in the key given you use the = before the note

Rests are z

There's the standard note length which is an eight note if you don't define it otherwise up in the header fields.

For more, check the tutorial or I'd be re-typing the whole thing, lol.

Thanks Inge, and for the time to explane

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal