Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: SKB-444 case - anyone using one?  (Read 2676 times)

Offline EeeJay

• Total Badges: 11
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 3 Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
SKB-444 case - anyone using one?
« on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »
I'm ruminating on getting a hard case... before Mr Darling cranks the VAT up... ::)

After looking round the other brands, such as Hiscox or Gator, I chanced upon the SKB-444... which ticks a lot of boxes... good repository for associated junk... but lightweight... and a chunky look that appeals...

Anyone out there using one? Is it any good?

Anything else of similar spec I've not seen yet?

Anyhow, hope someone can enlighten...

Ed J

Offline pobe

• I can't be bothered to edit my profile...

• Total Badges: 22
    Mobile User Apple User Search
Re: SKB-444 case - anyone using one?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2009, 05:16:12 PM »
I have one and I sort of like it. It is quite sturdy but I'm not sure I'd call it light weight. I've got another one (Arirang superior) that is really light weight which I use with my main fiddle.

I think that the 444's inside is a bit too large, when I use it I need a blanket that sort of goes around the fiddle to avoid it shaking around in there. But I really like the fact that the frog of the bow sits above the accessories pocket rather than above the fiddle - I've seen fiddle tops ruined by loose bows in the case!

Offline EeeJay

• Total Badges: 11
    Level 3 Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Cheers for the advice... :)

It is quite sturdy but I'm not sure I'd call it light weight.

Well... I kind of meant relatively so in this class of case... nearer to the Hiscox at circa 2kg than the Gator oblong at around 3kg...

I think the baggy internal fit might be the fact it's also pitched as a Viola case... like you say, it can be padded out...

I really like the bow accommodation idea.

I've got another one (Arirang superior) that is really light weight which I use with my main fiddle.

Not heard of those... time to start Googling... :)

Cheers,
Ed J

Offline pobe

• I can't be bothered to edit my profile...

• Total Badges: 22
    Mobile User Apple User Search
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »
Another reason to be careful with the SKB-444!

I played for a dance group tonight, and took a walk there. It's starting to get quite cold here now so I decided to use the SKB-444 case instead of my regular Arirang light weight, since the SKB is a bit more resistant to temperature change (at least I think it is...). To my surprise I found that my brand new *ss-kicking bow didn't fit! It was a little bit too long. My old CF bow fits fine though.. So, if you're going to get one, perhaps try it with your bow first...

Too bad, I really like the case and I've been thinking about installing some permanent padding to take care of the spacing problem, but now I don't think it's worth it. Unless I can fix the bow holders in some way...

Offline RSFiddler

• Old Fiddlers can learn new tricks!
    • Right Spirit

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Search
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2011, 04:47:15 AM »
I've got one of these, and found the fit satisfactory for one of my violins. but not for my main fiddle. I've also had the problem mentioned above with one of my bows not fitting. Overall, its a good solid case, if you like the shaped cases, and if your particular violin and bows fit it.

Currently I'm shopping for a new oblong case for the fiddle that won't fit in my SKB.
Mike, RSFiddler

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal