Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Dale Get Well  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator
  • I've been drinking downstream from the herd again.

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
Dale Get Well
« on: Feb 09, 2004, 06:56:23 PM »
I'm not married to the key of A right now.

X:1
T:Yadda Fa La
M:6/8
L:1/8
C:Mark Cordova
R:jig
K:A
Q:1/2=104
(e4e)d|:cBA BAG|cBd fed|

Have Fun.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2004, 04:11:08 PM by Mark Cordova »

Offline Martin

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Re:A jig
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2004, 11:46:18 AM »
T:Yadda Fa La
C:Mark Cordova, Martin Milner
Q:1/2=104
(e4e)d|:cBA BAG|cBd fed|ega Ace|EGA Bde|
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2004, 02:46:07 PM by Martin »

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2004, 03:07:42 PM »
Wow - that was an unexpected direction! The key of A holds then. I'm looking. Ty Martin.

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2004, 05:13:11 PM »
You started me going Martin and I couldn't stop :)
I need help on the chords.

T:Dale Get Well
Q:3/8=132
ed|:cBA BAG|cBd fed|ega Ace|EGA Bde|
cBA cde|cBe def|eae cec|dfd cec:|
|:AcA AGF|BdB GAB|(c~c2)aec|dcA {Bc}BAB|
efe edc|faf def|efg {ab}aec|BcB A3:|

Offline Martin

Re:Dale Get Well
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2004, 02:29:24 PM »
ed|:cBA BAG|cBd fed|ega Ace|EGA Bde|
cBA cde|fde fga|eae cec|1BcB {c}Bcd:|2Bcd BAG|
|:AcA AGF|BdB GAB|(c~c2)aec|dcA {c}BAB|
efe edc|faf def|efg {b}aec|1BcB A2c:|2Bcg a3|

Alternative, Mark?

I changed bar 6, and I didn't like bar 8 at all, it felt like the tune was in a holding pattern  ;). Then I discovered it needed a different note to lead into the C# and the A in the second part. Not gonna mess with the B part, I think that works really well, I just added a triumphal hing A to finish on.

btw, I don't get your double grace notes - do you really play them like that? I'd only ever try to squeeze in one grace note, usually to separate a repeated note.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2004, 04:32:00 PM by Martin »

Offline simon

• Total Badges: 28
    Apple User Search Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2004, 04:03:06 PM »
Grace notes are never notated strictly accurately. If they were, I think what Mark's getting at would be notated more like this (bar 4 of the second part):
dcA B/{c}B/AB

as opposed to:

dcA {Bc}BAB

I think Mark's notation would be conventional in baroque music, where the first grace note comes on the beat, not before it. It seems appropriate here - I don't know if there really are such conventions in traditional music, where notation is largely irrelevant from a performance point of view.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2004, 04:04:07 PM by simon »

Offline Martin

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2004, 04:34:08 PM »

I think Mark's notation would be conventional in baroque music, where the first grace note comes on the beat, not before it. It seems appropriate here - I don't know if there really are such conventions in traditional music, where notation is largely irrelevant from a performance point of view.

Agreed, I rarely see grace notes shown in traditional transcriptions, but if I do they are usually individual.

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2004, 05:01:32 PM »
Your changes are quite fine Martin.

When you find that I am being redundant, as in the last bar of the A part, It's planned that way. The interest comes when you bow the piece section and create a rythmic expression out of it. We don't always have to follow a jovial set of notes to get the tune to sound right. It's a part of the tune that we can take to the audience and present it as a part that mystifies and gets there attention. Many times it turns out to be the listeners favorite part of the tune. The hook if you will. Some times very predictable measures sound correct but they fail to inspire. This is my opinion on the entirety of music.

Take O'Carolan. I don't like most of those tunes. That doesn't mean they are bad tunes. I find it perfectly fine that others like O'Carolan. For "me" they are too sweet. The entire progression is predictable. It's almost as if you know what is coming next even though you may have never heard the piece before. O'Carolan never did put a raw edge into any of his music.

I like the raw edge in music. And by the time I finished putting my bow to those simple redundant notes, they will be a gripping part of the piece.

If you like your modifications enough to make you want to play the piece, then success! If your modifications make others want to play it, then perfect! It's all subjective in the end anyway, isn't it? I consider both versions to be good jigs.

As per my grace note suggestions, Yes I play them often, I add them to the music I play often especially when some part of the tune seems to be getting dull to me. Simon has expressed a truth about the written grace versus the actual sound. He translated my notes into this dcA B/{c}B/AB
I have used that sound before. I'm not as interested in playing an audible grace as I am in repturing that note open a little. Sometimes I play it like this dcA (3B/c/B/AB. That is a triplet that fits into an eighth note. Depends on the type of tune and this and that and the other.

Again, Simon has pointed out that that the notation is irrelevant in much of the Celtic Music. You have no doubt seen my notation of this (B~B2). In truth, I should just note it as ~B3. That would still be a suggestion though. If I left it as B3 and moved forward someone could use the following.
B2B
BB2
BBB
B/B/B2
BcB
BaB
B (3BBB

Ok, enough of that, the point is made.

Great questions Martin! Made me have to think. I have a headache now. ;) . I'll listen to the versions side by side again in a few days to check out which one I like better. I have to drop the stuff in my head first.

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2004, 02:44:41 PM by Mark Cordova »

Offline simon

• Total Badges: 28
    Apple User Search Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2004, 05:06:28 PM »
I think I've seen double grace notes in traditional stuff before, but yeah, a single one is more common. Personally I don't bother to notate ornamentation, perhaps a "~" if I feel the urge. That symbol supposedly means a roll, but as far as I'm concerned it just means to stick in a roll or a cut or triplet or whatever you fancy. If I'm reading a tune in a style I'm familiar with then I'll interpret any grace notes or other written ornaments in the same liberal way.

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2004, 05:36:02 PM »
If I'm reading a tune in a style I'm familiar with then I'll interpret any grace notes or other written ornaments in the same liberal way.

Exactly. That's how it is with the tradition. Thanks for the concise explanation.

Offline Martin

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:08:23 AM »
Your changes are quite fine Martin.

When you find that I am being redundant, as in the last bar of the A part, It's planned that way. The interest comes when you bow the piece section and create a rythmic expression out of it. We don't always have to follow a jovial set of notes to get the tune to sound right. It's a part of the tune that we can take to the audience and present it as a part that mystifies and gets there attention. Many times it turns out to be the listeners favorite part of the tune. The hook if you will. Some times very predictable measures sound correct but they fail to inspire. This is my opinion on the entirety of music.

Take O'Carolan. ...

Yeah, Mark, if I gave it some more tries through maybe I'll be able to create that rythmic interest - my skills are still very much in the feotal stage of development, so I'm limited to the midi and my own rendition  :'(  but I'm learning!

I'll give both versions a try through too. I was a tad nonplussed that having given of my best  ;) for two whole bars I wasn't given an opportunity for further creative input. I feel a swindler having my name given equal billing up for only 1/8th of the tune  ;D, yet I'm pleased that the two bars I did sent your tune off in a new direction. Still, it never bothered Lennon or MacCartney (stop press: just heard that MacCartney is taking Lennon's name off any tunes he had no input on  ::) )

Are we using this forum this to create tunes, or is it the fun of the shared creative process, and what we learn from it, that is important? It's nice to have
a growing tunebook of good tunes, and several I am practising and hope to unleash on the unsuspecting Londoners one day, but it's the creative thread that really interests me. Of course "completed" tunes are never really complete in traditional music, they'll change in the playing with every fiddler anyway.

I'm learning a lot from seeing other people's work, but maybe we could to set some rules, say adding no more than 4 bars at a time unless nobody has shown interest for three days, or something like that? Or particular tunes labelled as "no more than 2 new bars please"? Or no tune is labelled as complete until the co-creators agree?

What we don't want to devolve into of course is a "creation by committee" mode, or we'll end up with every tune being a Ford Focus, so maybe things are fine as they are. I'm just throwing some ideas on the waters to see what floats.

I'm greatly enjoying this ABC forum, as much or more from what I get out of it as what I put into it.

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2004, 02:54:28 PM »
Martin, I think those are great ideas. Here is how we can do it.
Post two bars a day unless someone else has stepped in. If the tune hasn't been touched in three days by anyone but you, post away.

I'll mark a tune complete but I won't put the final version out to the tune book for three days after the last musical modification. When you see a smiley face appear next to the post, It has been added to the tune book. I'm flexible in that anyway.

You're no swindler ;) and I imagine I'd be a bit on the grumbly side if it happend to me. I'll sit on my hands.

Great suggestions.

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2004, 09:36:30 PM »
ed|:"A"cBA BAG|cBd "D"fed|"A"ega Ace|EGA "Bm"Bde|
"A"cBA cde|cBe "D"def|"A"eae cec|"D"dfd "A"cec:|
|:"A"AcA AGF|"Bm"BdB "E"GAB|"A"(c~c2)aec|"D"dcA "Bm"{Bc}BAB|
"A"efe edc|"D"faf def|"E"efg "A"{ab}aec|"Bm"BcB "A"A3:|

Offline dalebygod

• Worlds Greatest Friend To All
  • Fiddle Hell Organiser
  • Hush! I'm thinking about georgie.
    • old'n in the way

• Total Badges: 26
Re: Dale Get Well
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2004, 03:09:00 PM »
I wish i could understand what you're talking about. But as they say you know, old dogs new tricks. I'd really like to hear this when it's complete. You guys are the best!
got a minute? check this out!
www.fiddlehell.com

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2004, 07:19:53 PM »
Tell you what Dale. If I can figure how to upload a midi file into this room, I'll put it up there. Maybe Alan or Mark can allow uploads of midi's They are tiny files and they'd help to let everyone know what kind of music has been created or shared in this section.

Anyhow, The chords on it stink. I should know - I put them there. It doesn't really sound like a "Get Well" tune. I figure you should give it a different name after you hear it. If you take more than 10 seconds thinking on a name, you spent too much time. Hell - Dale's Jig would work fine if you wanted.

Offline dalebygod

• Worlds Greatest Friend To All
  • Fiddle Hell Organiser
  • Hush! I'm thinking about georgie.
    • old'n in the way

• Total Badges: 26
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2004, 12:23:52 AM »
hey guys i'm so honored that you fellars are even thinking about me. Thank you so much, and you call it whatever you chose.
got a minute? check this out!
www.fiddlehell.com

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2004, 08:55:57 PM »
Ok, Mr Madfiddler has allowed us to upload midi's from and for public domain use. That's awesome. I am attaching this tune but it's not much of a get well tune. It's ---
Well-------- To heck with it. New name. Dale Chasin the Girls. By the way - this was not out best effort. Still, it's a good jig.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal