Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Incredibow - Buy at your own risk!!  (Read 28776 times)

Offline blueridgerunner

• Total Badges: 14
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary Level 3 Super Combination
Incredibow - Buy at your own risk!!
« on: Apr 03, 2009, 09:30:26 AM »
After waiting for a week to get an answer to my e-mails Heidi finally wrote to say that she had a bow in stock and could ship it out immediately. Great I said and paid through PayPal right then. Weeks have gone by, no bow, no response. Finally lodged a dispute with PayPal and got an answer right back saying she would send the bow "if I was still interested"  ???. Told her sure, send the bow. Another week. Reached her by phone as e-mails are hardly ever answered. Was told that the bow was all ready to ship and would be sent out the next day. Priority mail takes 2-3 days but still no bow. Now I realize that in the world of violin bows this isn't a lot of money. Nonetheless, I work hard for my money.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2009, 09:12:11 PM by blueridgerunner »

Offline PhiddlePhartz

• Total Badges: 23
    Eighth year Anniversary Search Level 5
Re: Incredibow - Buy at your own risk!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »
I'm sure you know that the founder/creator of the Incredibow and his wife both died some time back.  The children are now trying to keep the business running.  While I do have sympathy for their situation it's really been quite some time since this all happened and from the occasional complaints/reports that pop up on the newsgroup the service doesn't seem to be getting any better.  :(

I did recieve an Incredibow after a considerable wait back at the time all this was happening.  I guess my problem with the situation now is that the ability to place an order and for them to instantly get your money is still in place.  After that it's a rubbish shoot.

My suggestion, if they really are unable to fulfill orders, would be for them to post that on the website and temporarily refrain from taking orders until they can catch up.  It's really bad form to continually accept people's money and then provide an uncertain, far down the road, delivery with little or no communication.

I wish the best for the Incredibow enterprise but people do get nervous at spending money with a company that doesn't communicate or deliver in a timely fashion.

Offline river

• Total Badges: 19
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
i used to have some sympathy for them, but every time i read a post about how someone had to wait weeks and weeks with little or no communication, i get just a little bit more incredulous.  when it's obvious they can't handle orders in a timely fashion, why are they still accepting them?

Offline blueridgerunner

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »
Well, to be fair, the bow did come today.  ;(

Offline benhall.1

• Total Badges: 18
    Windows User Fifth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2009, 11:15:46 PM »
Ummm ... I realise that this may be heresy to some ... but why on Earth would anyone want an Incredibow?

Serious question actually.  I've asked a few people who have them, and never get an answer that I can understand.  They just don't play well, and they look and feel horrible.  I've tried putting a real wood bow into the hands of people who play using Incredibows, and, whilst they seem to prefer their Incredibow, it's blindingly obvious to a listener that the sound is just way better with a proper bow.

So ... um ... what gives, folks?

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2009, 11:18:57 PM »
Ummm ... I realise that this may be heresy to some ... but why on Earth would anyone want an Incredibow?
Some of us (electric-violin sawing) heretics like heretical things.

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition... ;D
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2009, 11:21:11 PM »
Well, to be fair, the bow did come today.  ;(
[Emily Litella]Never Mind.[/Emily Litella] ;D

They're worth waiting for, but not THAT long... :P

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »
Finally lodged a dispute with PayPal and got an answer right back saying she would send the bow "if I was still interested"  ???. Told her sure, send the bow. Another week. Reached her by phone as e-mails are hardly ever answered. Was told that the bow was all ready to ship and would be sent out the next day. ......

File another complaint with Paypal, and this time, get your money back.  When you do, buy the bow through another vendor.  Heidi may have her reasons for not shipping quickly, but there is no need for you to wait this long.  Lots of vendors will be happy to have your business.
sheryl

Offline jenford

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2009, 01:31:32 AM »
I've one of the bows - it's a great bow for outside - for smackin the dog on the head - for not having to worry a bit about.  I hear the new ones draw a better tone. I use mine for outside practice during lunch hour during the nice weather months.  I'd wait a while for one....as long as I had another bow .
And mine is all silvery bling - so it is special LOL!

Offline dogman

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2009, 01:45:23 AM »
I've been thinking of buying one on eBay, but I'm almost afraid of what my teacher might do to me.

She's very traditional, and though her daughter, who is a wonderful violinist, has broken every rule and tried a lot of, er, "modern" ideas, my teacher is not likely to divorce or physically damage her daughter, and I'm not sure she'd hesitate to do one or both of those things to me.

So does anyone have a suggestion about whether a newbie should try one?

(Apologies for hijacking your thread, blueridgerunner, but since you received your Incredibow, I hope maybe you won't mind a small sidetrack. :D)

Offline buddhu

• Total Badges: 19
    Search Linux User Level 4
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2009, 01:55:16 AM »

Serious question actually.  I've asked a few people who have them, and never get an answer that I can understand.  They just don't play well, and they look and feel horrible.  I've tried putting a real wood bow into the hands of people who play using Incredibows, and, whilst they seem to prefer their Incredibow, it's blindingly obvious to a listener that the sound is just way better with a proper bow.

Once you get used to them they're great. My main bow is a carbon fibre conventional, but that broke a few weeks back and I have only just received my replacement. In the meantime I used my Incredibow, and found myself wondering why I don't use it more often.

In fact, with summer coming and a load of outdoor gigs lined up, I reckon I will be using it more. They are weather proof, light and cool.

But if they don't work for you, don't get one.

Dogman: I showed mine to my former teacher a few months back and she loved it - and ordered one. Do you pay your teacher to give you sh*t? If she wants to give you a hard time, let her pay you. Get what you want, man, but try one first - and if Heidi is having problems keeping people up-to-date with the real situation, then perhaps be a little autious about ordering.

Offline benhall.1

« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »
But if they don't work for you, don't get one.

Yeah, I suppose my point was that, as far as I can see - and hear - they don't work for anyone else either, including those who think they do work for them.

Still, if it makes you happy ...

... oh, and Madmat, I play electric violin as well.  Skyinbow - love it to pieces.  And it wasn't the bow that I was accusing of being heretical - I was suggesting that, in this modern era, I myself was maybe being a bit heretical in daring to suggest that the emperor may be a tad under-dressed, at least as far as Incredibows being anything that one should put anywhere near a decent fiddle, whether accoustic or electric.

Phew!

That feels better!

;D

Offline blueridgerunner

« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2009, 12:36:28 PM »
I do have a CF bow in addition to the wooden bows that came with my acoustic and electric violins. I will have to play some with the Incredibow before I can have an opinion.  What I can't figure out is how some bows can cost 6000-8000 dollars. I'll never know I guess. But, if it came with a little blonde fiddle player (ah MS. Nesbitt)...but I digress  ;D

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »
I've tried the Incredbow quite a few times. I was quite surprised at the results - not a great bow, by any standards - but it does the job, at a reasonable price, and presumably is hard wearing because of the materiels of the stick and hair. So, I'd have to say, it should be good value for money, and it's a bit of an innovation, I guess.

I'm not a wood bow purist - I have a lightweight pernambuco and a carbon fibre Coda too, and I use both.

I could play with the Incredibow too, but I think it just looks so, so doggam ugly.

I'd never pay for anything unless it was guaranteed to be in stock "now." I don't care how rare or common it is - I don't take promises from anyone I don't know. They may be well-intentioned and honest, but problems do happen - and I don't want their problems becoming mine.

Jim

Offline benhall.1

« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »
Yep, I agree with that last bit, Jim.  Don't let their problems become yours.  I also agree that one of the most offputting things about Incredibows is how amazingly ugly they are.  But ...

... and here's the thing.  Coda bows play just fine.  I am a bit of a wood bow purist, but even I'll admit that Coda bows work.  But Incredibows just don't.  Even for the people who think they do ...

I'll shut up now.  Who wants to run a sweepstake as to how much I like/dislike Incredibows?   On a scale of, say, 1 to minus 1000  :laugh:

Offline rcc

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2009, 04:55:56 AM »
A newbie should absolutely 100% not not not get an Incredibow.

If you use an Incredibow, you will develop habits that are counter to the habits you'll want to develop if you ever want to get good with a standard bow.  The shape of the bow pretty much guarantees that.

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2009, 10:58:15 PM »
... and here's the thing.  Coda bows play just fine.  I am a bit of a wood bow purist, but even I'll admit that Coda bows work.  But Incredibows just don't.  Even for the people who think they do ...

Good point. The balance point is different, and the whole feel is different too. What makes it good for a lot of players who hold it quite far up the stick (so only ever using 2/3s of it), is that the fingers don't touch the hair (like on a normal bow).

A newbie should absolutely 100% not not not get an Incredibow.

If you use an Incredibow, you will develop habits that are counter to the habits you'll want to develop if you ever want to get good with a standard bow.  The shape of the bow pretty much guarantees that.

I agree 100%. An experienced player can quickly adjust to the difference in balance, shape, etc .. but a newbie simply can't. Pushing things to the limit, you can 'chop' aggressively with a normal bow (wood or CF), to the point where the wood almost strikes the bridge. That simply cannot be done with an Incredibow, as the wood / hair gap is too large.

Jim

Offline benhall.1

« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2009, 06:10:56 AM »
What makes it good for a lot of players who hold it quite far up the stick (so only ever using 2/3s of it), is that the fingers don't touch the hair (like on a normal bow).

Why do people do that though?  It always just looks like affectation to me.  I've heard some fiddlers in this country (the UK) claim that it's more "traditional" to play like that.  But it just isn't.  It certainly isn't traditional to play like that if you're playing Irish music and, since most English music is specifically for outdoor dancing, you wouldn't get the projection you need unless you hold the bow properly.  Can't speak for American stuff, don't play it (except for blues, rock 'n' roll, cajun and a little bit of Don McLean).

Then again, some people say they like their Incredibow because the hair doesn't break.  But what's so good about that?  You wouldn't want that hair to break ??!?  It's horrible, nasty and slimey.  No matter how much rosin you put on it, it's still nasty and slimey.  If I had one, I'd be dying to break the hair on the thing.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »
Then again, some people say they like their Incredibow because the hair doesn't break.  But what's so good about that?  You wouldn't want that hair to break ??!?
I play pretty violently, and with rehairs going in the $45-50USD range, the fewer rehairs I need, the better off my pocketbook is! :)
It's horrible, nasty and slimey.  No matter how much rosin you put on it, it's still nasty and slimey.
Almost without exception, the people who say this have over-rosined the thing... wipe it all off and put 5 strokes of Jade, Clarity or Andrea Vivaldi on it and I betcha it'll be fine.

If you're into the 5+ strings thing, there just isn't anything like the high-tension models out there... nothing!

Offline benhall.1

« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2009, 07:18:55 PM »
Rehairs over here cost me 45 - pounds sterling - what's that now?  $65?  Something like that?  I rehair one or other of my bows every two to three months.  Once I did a gig with a newly rehaired bow, and sent it off the very next day to be rehaired again.

I'd still rather do that than make do with an Incredibow.

I'm not into the 5+ strings thing ... well, not yet, at any rate ... I reckon I could be tempted though, although I think it would be more likely to be with an electric version of one of those.  But that may be because the 5-string accoustics I've seen and heard have been pretty dreadful.

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2009, 08:43:11 PM »
I'm not into the 5+ strings thing ... well, not yet, at any rate ... I reckon I could be tempted though, although I think it would be more likely to be with an electric version of one of those.  But that may be because the 5-string accoustics I've seen and heard have been pretty dreadful.

I play a 5-string exclusively now. I agree, there are some real manky tugboats around, some cornerless, some with geared mandolin pegs, etc - some where the maker did not even put their name on (and likely stole the firewood too :) )  - but there sure are some fine ones around. Check out Michael (woodwiz) on this forum - his 5-strings are phenomenal. I played one at Groton last year. I currently own an electro-acoustic Sonic Classic from Sonic Violins. Lovely instrument - well, I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Jim

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »
I play pretty violently, and with rehairs going in the $45-50USD range, the fewer rehairs I need, the better off my pocketbook is!

Matt, no need to play it so violently! Take it easy ... but you do need to plug it into your amp. :) :)

Jim :)

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »
Matt, no need to play it so violently! Take it easy ... but you do need to plug it into your amp. :) :)
One thing to fiddle while Rome burns, quite another to trigger seismic events...  :(

... even if it is a manky tugboat.

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »
Why do people do that though?  It always just looks like affectation to me.  I've heard some fiddlers in this country (the UK) claim that it's more "traditional" to play like that.

Why? It's easier to balance, and stop stutter, that's all. Very restrictive for lots of types of music. However, many players still get a good sound.

Slow airs and long legato suffer most.

Jim

Offline benhall.1

« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
... right ... I'm off to look up woodwiz ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal