Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: diamond gx  (Read 7374 times)

Offline jenford

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
diamond gx
« on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:37:01 PM »
bought the diamond gx couple of weeks ago and really like it.
Tried a bunch of different bows - in the $700-$1000 range.   There was a lovely wood bow that sounded better - but darn I need a CF bow when I'm out and about with the fiddle.  The Coda handles nicely - little more string noise under the ear than I care for - but on the whole it's a winner.  I did try several copies and I picked the one I liked the best - minimal differences - but differences nonetheless.
And of course I tried some very expensive handmade bows - ah well - perhaps in my next life :laugh:

Best,
Jen

Offline soundboot

• Total Badges: 29
    Mobile User Quick Poster Search
Re: diamond gx
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »
Really happy with mine. Better than my coda classic.

Offline foose4string

• 5 spangled dude

• Total Badges: 27
    Mobile User Search Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:41:54 PM »
You stinker....I want want too(I think)!  I don't know exactly when it will be in the budget, but I want a new bow to match my new fiddle.  Where did you go to try out the sticks?

Offline jenford

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »
went up to Mount Airy Bows
http://www.violinsandbows.us/
and she is open on Saturday afternoon.

Offline foose4string

• 5 spangled dude

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure you've dropped that link on me before.  I'm going to have to make a trip up to that shop once I get serious about bows.  Come to think of it, my current bow needs a rehair.  Hmmmmm..... ;)

What's she getting per rehair?

Offline jenford

« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:03:56 PM »
Yeah - she is the bow person in the city - I'm not sure the going rate - probably on the high side since she is the "bow person".  Certainly worth a trip to the shop - and they have a luthier there on Saturdays!

Offline David M.

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »
Great news on the GX.  Just ordered a SX from Gianna's.  Hope it gets here this week.  I'll try and post a review when I get it and use it for a bit.

Jen, did you try the GX vs the SX and NX?

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows
  • God gave me a fiddle and told me to play...

Search Eighth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2009, 12:23:11 AM »
I don't know if jenford did, but I did, and I'm still dreaming of the GX.

Oh - hm it was about year ago that I tried it.  And I think ??? that maybe one of the other x's came out after I tried the GX.  So, anyways, I tried the two that my luthier had  available a year ago - one of which was the GX - and it's not in my minimalist budget (especially since I have a perfectly serviceable elcheapo) - but - the GX is the one I keep wishing for.
Five Strings are Better than Four!

Granite State Bows:  Worth The Weight!
Fresh Quarried Bows for Players Requiring Rock-Solid Performance
What We Lack in Flexibility We Make Up For in Strength

Offline foose4string

• 5 spangled dude

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »
went up to Mount Airy Bows
http://www.violinsandbows.us/
and she is open on Saturday afternoon.

I drove up yesterday for a rehair and to try out a few bows.  Elizabeth wasn't in, so the rehair will have to wait until she gets back next week(I'm having them ship it back to me).

Well, I couldn't very well go home without a decent bow to practice with....right????
I tried out a few Brazilian made bows in the same price range as the GX.  There was a very nice, light colored bow that caught me ear and was very "buttery" and handled very well.  Actually, it was a few dollars less than the Coda GX.  It was a tough decision but I walked out of the store proud owner of a new GX bow.  The GX offered more dynamic range, was very nimble, controllable, crisp, somewhat crunchy sounding, and yet, had a touch of warmth.  Best of all, it has warranty. 
Didn't have the warmth and character of the wooden bow(which sounded a little stifled in comparsion), but I didn't expect it to.  All in all....great  bow.  I also tried the NX which didn't impress me too much...but then, it's in a bit of a different class.

Offline jenford

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »
Hey - Sam the luthier was there - did u have a chance to try one of his fiddles? Frakin' gorgeous!
 Did u try the Raposo bow?  I really like em - but I was looking for carbon.  Too bad u didn't get to meet Elizabeth - she just did a rehair for me. Congrats on the GX and I'm sure you had fun at the Bow Shop!!  I'm still thinking about that Raposo pernabuco (the sound ahhh the sound)- so it goes :-)

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows
  • God gave me a fiddle and told me to play...

Search Eighth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »
.... (I'm jealous of both of you right now...congratulations on your new bow!)
Five Strings are Better than Four!

Granite State Bows:  Worth The Weight!
Fresh Quarried Bows for Players Requiring Rock-Solid Performance
What We Lack in Flexibility We Make Up For in Strength

Offline Nikolas

• Total Badges: 18
    Seventh year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2009, 05:40:09 AM »
I must admit these new Coda bows are pretty remarkable given the cost.  I absolutely love the Coda Joule I got from Steve!

Offline foose4string

• 5 spangled dude

« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2009, 01:58:24 PM »
Hey - Sam the luthier was there - did u have a chance to try one of his fiddles? Frakin' gorgeous!
 Did u try the Raposo bow?  I really like em - but I was looking for carbon.  Too bad u didn't get to meet Elizabeth - she just did a rehair for me. Congrats on the GX and I'm sure you had fun at the Bow Shop!!  I'm still thinking about that Raposo pernabuco (the sound ahhh the sound)- so it goes :-)

Yep, Sam was minding the shop while was she was gone...family reunion or something. 

I asked to see one of his fiddles right after paying for the bow.  He brought out a very handsome instrument- single piece back with hardly any flame, lightly varnished top.  Very crisp, almost stark, but delicate, lines on the scroll.  Neck was tall and thick, however the instrument was extremely playable and responsive. I commented on the neck thickness, and he said that he purposely leaves material on(an extra mm compared to normal)...it can be tailored to fit if need be.  "It's nearly impossible to put wood back", he explained.  He uses the controversial "sprung" bass bar.  This was my first experience with such, and I must say,  I couldn't find anything objectionable about the sound.  It had a very big yet controlled sound, and when combined with domestic woods, had a great big "fiddle" tone. I liked the instrument.  Sam said he has turned out about 40 fiddles so far, and admits he thoroughly enjoys the process.  He's quick too- about six weeks start to finish.   I didn't ask the price( I still like my fiddle better). ;)

I tried the Raposo.  It has a very nice sound indeed, but didn't disappear in my hand the way I expected it to.
The light colored bow-didn't pay attention to the stamp-probably should have for sake of conversation, was a joy to play.  I wasn't blown away by it, but a very nice bow.  It would have been nice to walk out with both the wooden bow and the GX and be able to call them mine, but the GX stretched the wallet about as far as it could go. The GX is many steps ahead of my braided Glasser, and lived up to the hype.  Only downside is that it lacks the complexity, warmth and character of a wooden bow....I sort of miss that now after trying some decent wooden bows.  But after seeing the tips snap off on some rather fine bows, and knowing how rough and clumsy I can be, I think I made a wise choice.

Getting to the shop was quite an adventure.  Coming from the south through Germantown was a bit unsettling at times, but it wasn't something I haven't experienced in the past.  We found our way out of the city by way of Mt. Airy and Philadephia University.  Much easier going back, save the GPS not accounting for some rather important, "no left turn" signs.   I have a love/hate with the GPS, which leans decidedly to the hate!

Offline apollonike

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2010, 02:12:07 AM »
(especially since I have a perfectly serviceable elcheapo)

What kind of musician are you?

Didn't you get the memo?  You can't be complacent about gear unless it's solidly in the 6 figure range for instruments and 5 for bows.

Sheesh.  Players these days. :(

:o

Offline mswlogo

• Total Badges: 26
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2010, 06:16:07 AM »
I tried the coda's out today and was all exicited. I really didn't like them, just didn't feel right. I went home with a wood bow that cost slightly more than a gx.

Offline bwzuk

• Total Badges: 31
    Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2010, 12:07:46 PM »
I've just got 3 bows on trial, including the GX. I must say the GX is my favourite so far. The balance is great and it pulls a nice full tone. The other two similarly priced wooden bows are good but don't quite match it.

Offline Cableaddict

• Total Badges: 14
    Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Combination
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2010, 09:28:56 PM »
I don't suppose anyone here has compared the Diamond GX to the Arcus M4 or M5?

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2010, 11:44:18 PM »
I tried to make the comparison from memory of the GX, but I just couldn't bring up enough detail in my GX memories.  I was impressed with the Arcus.  Thought about ordering some, but I already have more products than I could keep track of.  The advantage of the Coda line is it's name recognition.  It's really got nice penetration into the market, with justification.  I also know the consistency of the Coda products.  I just saw one box of the Arcus, not enough to tell whether it was really a stable product.  I hate getting something out in the market and then having the specs or quality change in a later batch. 

If business continues to pick up I'll grab a couple of Arcus and do a side by side review.  Get a few players to drop by and give comments.  Until then - anyone done this?  It's a good question.

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2010, 01:22:06 AM »
I don't suppose anyone here has compared the Diamond GX to the Arcus M4 or M5?

Yes. I have owned both the GX and the M4. Both are good bows, up to advanced player level. The Arcus M4 is by far the superior bow, with good pulling power and excellent tone. Very good grip too, more than the GX. The GX will work OK with spicatto, staccato and other off-the-string bowings, but the M4 will out-perform easily and effortlessly. Finally, traditional chopping (which imo is quite an extreme test for any bow) is much grippier, resonant and effective with the M4.

Jim

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2010, 02:01:40 AM »
I went ahead and read through some reviews. Seems the M4 is excellent, with a lighter and livelier feel than the GX, less traditional.  It also seems to be selling for substantially more, unfortunately. 

I'll have to get some in when I next restock carbon.  Seems your endorsement is persuasive.  I'm looking forward to the chance to try them.

That's the problem with testing things at noisy shows - very difficult to really do much serious work!

Offline Cableaddict

« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
Excellent, Stephen.

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Of course, then one has to consider the M4 vs the Joule, for 5 & 6 sting fiddles.

Ughh....

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2010, 12:04:06 AM »
Of course, then one has to consider the M4 vs the Joule, for 5 & 6 sting fiddles.

Ughh....

Ughh to which? The M4 or the Joule? Or did I misunderstand you?

Jim

Offline woodwiz

Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »
Tried a Joule this weekend. Liked them well enough I'm going to try to pick them up to sell with my 5-strings.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2010, 01:00:52 AM »
Ughh to which? The M4 or the Joule? Or did I misunderstand you?
Uggh I think to having to choose between the two. ;)

I have to say, after trying your M4 on the porch I rather fancy it, and then I think about how much one costs. ;D

I'll probably have either a Joule or GX before long, I'm leaning more towards the jewel-Joule for those C strings. It gets more complicated now that there is a Joule for violas. :P
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline Cableaddict

« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
Mat,  are you saying you'd go with the M4, if it cost the same?

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal