Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Bamboo bow ever been made?  (Read 8106 times)

Offline David M.

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Bamboo bow ever been made?
« on: Dec 19, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »
As I was doing a HACK home repair to the head of my pernambuco bow yesterday (and so far today it's holding), I got to talking w/a buddy and wondering about bamboo material for bows.  If you parallel flyfishing rods to bows, the old GOOD ones (and today's most expensive ones) were bamboo and there's also fiberglass and carbon fiber/graphite, just like bows.  But maybe I just haven't seen them or not.  Seems like bamboo may be too heavy.

In the furniture industry, which I'm in, bamboo is being used in alot of ways, even fabrics, for its sustainablilty.

Just thinking, which gets me in trouble sometime.

By the way, I fixed the head of this John Brasil bow with a good seal of good carpenter's wood glue and a good clamp bond.  Hope it holds, at least for a practice bow.  Fixin' to get a CodaBow.  whooohoo!

Offline Graham Clark

• Total Badges: 27
    Apple User Mobile User Search
Re: Bamboo bow ever been made?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:33:52 PM »
Laurence Cocker of Derby  made bows using the "split cane" idea from fishing rod technology

gc

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:22:16 PM »
Bicycles, too.

Split bamboo is "OK" for rods.  Wears me out.  But I never tried a pernambuco rod!

Offline David M.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2008, 01:16:52 AM »
But I never tried a pernambuco rod!

Right!  I never have either.  Honestly, I've never cast a bamboo one.  You a flyfisherman, Steve?  Good area for it, that's for sure.

Saw a bamboo skateboard online the other day.  Interesting.  When I was in Japan I saw building scaffolding made of huge bamboo.  Strong stuff.

(BTW, Steve, I am looking forward to receiving the Coda SX after the new year.).

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:15:27 AM »
The bamboo rods are very sensitive, mine is good for nymphing.  I found I'd get tired casting it for very long, so I tend to cast up, then walk the nymph downstream with a just tight line and a sinking leader, can feel every little thing, especially after I voodooed it. 

I'm wondering how a bamboo / composite rod would work.  Could fill the core of the hexagon with something interesting to make it better.  I don't know how to do that.  But there's a rod maker down the street, I know the principles of making them.  Just what I need, another finicky thing to do!

Offline soundboot

• Total Badges: 29
    Mobile User Quick Poster Search
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:42:11 PM »

Offline Nick2

• Ape of scrape

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »
I know a pro fiddler who uses a bow made from bamboo.  Only looked at it close up once, and it felt very light and well balanced.
Now ear this!

Offline David M.

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »
Sweet!  Steve's gonna start building bamboo/IM7 rods :)

High-stick nymphing.  My best form of drifting through the runs and riffles.  Taken quite a few that way. 

Steve, you tie?  I tie a handful of recipes like Adams, Woolybuggers, pheasanttails, etc.  good stuff.

I'd like to check out a bamboo bow one day.

Offline gwenhyfer

• Total Badges: 11
    Level 3 Fifth year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:02:35 AM »
Afternoon all, fiddle and forum noobie Jen signing in.

Its a kinda funny thing, I was looking into replacing the wrapping on my bow and ended up on a forum for fly fishing rods.  Not only did I get the info I was looking for, I've got me a whole new project (always did want to fly cast - it looks so much more impressive then spinning)  anyway... between looking at bamboo fly rods, and also looking at the Arcus CF bow website, I started getting funny ideas about a bamboo fiddle bow. 

Amazing how a re-wrap project turns into a fly rod and then a fiddle bow... ;-)

Offline Don Stackhouse

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »
Not a fly fisherman myself, about every time I go fishing, I end up de-baiting. However, I suspect that the big thing to watch out for when getting involved with that hobby is the risk of getting hooked.

Offline wangbow

• Total Badges: 9
    Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:10:00 AM »
I'm a bow maker and have made some bamboo cello bows, and a few violin bows, but not as someone think made of a bamboo rod, it's from one species of bamboo in west part of China that have very thick wall. We have tested the stick and find the Speed according to Lucchi meter is around 10000, it's higher than pernambuco, it produce very good sound, but till now the problem is it's too sensitive and very difficult to craft, because it's too stiff in certain direction.
We 've send the bamboo cello bows to our musician and bow maker friends, the sound is very good as they said, but the problem is we still haven't found a way to make this bamboo stick with stable quality. Hope to discuss with someone who are interested in this topic.
The photo is one of the bamboo violin bow made by us several years ago to test, just to show Bamboo bow actually been made...a long time ago.

Offline mslefaye

• Total Badges: 11
    Level 3 Second year Anniversary Level 2
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:44:40 AM »
I'm a bow maker and have made some bamboo cello bows, and a few violin bows, but not as someone think made of a bamboo rod, it's from one species of bamboo in west part of China that have very thick wall. 0
The photo is one of the bamboo violin bow made by us several years ago to test, just to show Bamboo bow actually been made...a long time ago.

Do please keep up making them until you get them perfect. I am interested!

Offline Titch

• Sonic Electro-Acoustic Violins
    • Sonic Violins

• Total Badges: 35
    Apple User Quick Poster Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »
Andrew Bellis makes fine cane bows here in the UK.

http://www.andrewbellis.com

{=/=}===++

www.sonicviolins.co.uk
Electro-Acoustic Violin Systems

Offline machula

• Total Badges: 4
    Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Level 1
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2012, 10:10:58 AM »
My father, a not too unknown cellist, (www.tibordemachula.com) always performed with a bamboo bow.
I have it here, it is very light but even his solo concerts were played with this bow.

Offline Emma

• Senior Moderator
  • If you can walk, you can dance.

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Quick Poster Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
There's an article in Fiddler Magazine, Spring 2012, which is an interview with David Zimmerman, who makes bamboo bows, and sells them for $1000 and up. I do wonder if David Zimmerman is the original poster of this thread. Zimmerman, who lives in Montana, says he made his first bamboo bow around 4 years ago, which is about the time of the original post. Clearly he got his inspiration from fly fishing rods. Anyway, it seems that Zimmerman has achieved his goal of making good bamboo bows.
Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.
(Michael Pollan)

Offline polkat

• Total Badges: 22
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2012, 04:47:44 AM »
It's an odd thing, wood used for bows. We think traditionally of pernambuco as the classic choice for bow making, and to this I would agree. But many woods have be tried (and usually rejected) for bow making. Experimentation is a great thing. As a kid, I used a bow made by my grandfather from local hickory. To this day it was the best bow I ever played. Go figure. Experiment and have fun!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal