Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Comford Shoulder Rests  (Read 2061 times)

Offline MusicalGirevik

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Level 4
Comford Shoulder Rests
« on: Jan 05, 2004, 04:59:20 PM »
Has anybody tried the Comford shoulder rest?  I lost my Kun viola shoulder rest and read about the Comford on the Shar Music website.  It's the latest attempt at a shoulder rest that won't fall off your instrument and is ergonomically designed.  An interesting new twist is that the body of the shoulder rest is a resonating chamber.

Paolo
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2004, 05:00:12 PM by MusicalGirevik »

Offline alwyswinn

• Total Badges: 25
    Apple User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re:Comford Shoulder Rests
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 05:07:23 PM »
Haven't heard of them but i have never had my shoulder rest fall off I didn't realise it was even a problem.  I use a Vivo for both the viola and violin

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2004, 06:00:20 PM »
These are made in China.  Very heavy!!!  The manufacturers contacted me last year to see if we would carry them, but I felt the price tag was prohibitive.  They are also clunky and don't fit well in most cases (you have to have an oblong case to fit them).  Other than that, they are comfortable on the shoulder and also hold onto the instrument well.

I use a Motrya Super Rosewood shoulder rest.  

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2004, 07:32:49 PM »
arsweet,

What do you like about the Motrya?  

I had no major complaints about the Kun.  But my left shoulder gets sore after I've played my viola for more than 30 minutes.  I realize that learning to relax the shoulders is one of many things to work on in overall viola technique, but I'm open to leads for a shoulder rest that will assist in reducing shoulder soreness.

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2004, 06:28:35 PM »
arsweet,

What do you like about the Motrya?  

I had no major complaints about the Kun.  But my left shoulder gets sore after I've played my viola for more than 30 minutes.  I realize that learning to relax the shoulders is one of many things to work on in overall viola technique, but I'm open to leads for a shoulder rest that will assist in reducing shoulder soreness.

I like it because it's lightweight, adjustable, folding feet, fits in my case, stays on the instrument (my Kun was always falling off) and it looks good (I have the Rosewood model).  

I too used to get shoulder problems when playing my viola in concerts, until I switched to a over-the-tailpiece chinrest, which centers my chin on the instrument, reducing strain.  I don't have problems with it any more!

Offline MusicalGirevik

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2004, 08:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the response!  I'll order a Motrya from you soon.  

Also, thanks for the comment on the chin rest.  This corroborates with what I've been finding in my search for info on shoulder rests, violas, and ergonomics.  It seems I've been neglecting the chin rest as part of the equation in reducing strain.  So from you and others, what I gather is that I need a chin rest that sits on the center axis and is height-adjustable.  Looks like Flesch is the only manufacturer of this type of chin rest.  Do you sell those too?  Also, I notice these are available with and without a hump?  Which type do you use?

Paolo
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2004, 08:04:20 PM by MusicalGirevik »

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal