Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Melted Varnish  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Violinfunk

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Level 4
Melted Varnish
« on: Dec 30, 2003, 02:51:08 AM »
Hey, My intrumant was left in the car for about an hour and the varnish melted. I also noticed the rosin had melted on my bow. Does this effect the sound of my instrument?

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 24
    Search Mobile User Windows User
Re:Melted Varnish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2003, 05:49:43 PM »
Generally playing the instrument will tell you if the sound was impacted.  I can't recall seeing rosin melted on a bow!  You might clean it off with xylene or something.  As far as the melted varnish on the violin, solutions depend on what kind of varnish and how bad it is.  It isn't too bad to refinish a violin with trashed finish.  I think we charge $400 for a hand glazed oil varnish shaded finish.  I can't remember off the top of my head!

Steve

Offline Dan888

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: Melted Varnish
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2020, 11:18:01 AM »
Zombie thread:

My violin was up in a cupboard for the last week because we had flood warnings last week and i put anything of value high up. Anyway, after the end of raining season temperatures have soared and I just took my violin out of the case (a hard, hiscox case, very well insulated), and was welcomed to the smell of fresh varnish. I now have varnish damage on the sides, near the purfling and on the back plate.

Sound isn't effected thankfully, and the fact that the varnish, an oil varnish, had a lot of crackling hides the worst of it, but still it goes to show how hot it can get even indoors.

Offline Emma

• Senior Moderator
  • If you can walk, you can dance.

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Quick Poster Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2020, 01:47:10 PM »
Yikes! I had never heard of varnish melting like that. I'm glad the sound is still OK.
Are you thinking of refinishing the violin, or just live with the cosmetic damage?
Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.
(Michael Pollan)

Offline Dan888

« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2020, 10:48:11 PM »
Yikes! I had never heard of varnish melting like that. I'm glad the sound is still OK.
Are you thinking of refinishing the violin, or just live with the cosmetic damage?

Well, the instrument is the first made by the luthier I bought it off, so mistakes were made in the varnishing, a slightly soft undercoat resulting in a lot of crackling and some uneven areas. He has said he'd revarnish it for me if I like but I am currently on the other side of the planet.

Since it is mainly cosmetic I'm just going to leave it as it is for now and just make sure I don't ever leave the fiddle anywhere that warm again.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2020, 05:19:53 AM »
YOu guys scared the hell out of me! After readind this, I remembered that my Chinese violin had been in my trunk for about a month. That's a month in Savannah's sub-tropical heat, pretty much every day over 90 degrees.

I rushed out there, grabbed it, brought it in, opened up the case and...

Nothing. It was perfect.

Geez! Don't DO that! ;D

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Dan888

« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2020, 12:28:44 AM »
YOu guys scared the hell out of me!

I can imagine the sudden dawning of realisation and ensuing dread. What varnish does your Chinese violin have? Mines a pretty new violin with an oil varnish, and the cupboard, near the roof of my apartment (should have though of that!) could well have been one of the hottest parts of the building.

I've been spending a bit of time gradually removing bits of fluff that are now stuck to the varnish,  but, having the instrument out means I've been playing a lot more, which is something.

Anyway, glad I reminded you, who can say what another dat or two might have done?

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2020, 02:51:50 AM »
>>What varnish doe your Chinese violin have?

Shiny.  ;D It's really pretty.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal