Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Floyd Rose Locking nut.  (Read 6254 times)

Offline TheGemDr

• Total Badges: 18
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Level 4
Floyd Rose Locking nut.
« on: Dec 08, 2007, 04:33:11 AM »
I guess anyone with a real instrument is already cringing with despair and disgust. The one thing about my cello that I truly dislike are the tuning pegs, as an ex-fret-head they came as a complete shock. Of course my cheap and cheerful chinese cello needed some expensive replacement parts or I could do what a fret-head with $10 would do.

That was in February of this year.  I had to adjust my pegs yesterday as I ran out of twiddle on my G string fine tuner. That makes some 9 months without having to touch those ***** pegs.

I'm a bit of an animal and butcher but I'm happy about it.

Tony.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: Floyd Rose Locking nut.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2007, 06:23:42 AM »
Du-UUUUU-uuuu-de! No Floyd Rose tailpiece, skull knobs and red vinyl bat stickers? ;D

They make Perfection Pegs for violoncellos, too, y'know... (though that's a lot more expensive and harder to install than the frethead solution.)

Edit: How can you pass up linking the Finnish heavy metal cello band Apocalyptica in a situation like this? ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFW7oTEqKgc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptica
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2007, 06:35:39 AM by madmat »
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline chrisandcello

• Total Badges: 24
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2007, 12:07:34 PM »
Need a heavy metal wig for that instant rehair.... ::)

Offline TheGemDr

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2007, 06:16:35 AM »
Sadly I have neither the ability nor the agility of these kids.

I have only had my cello for a year and I have noticed it can be a cumbersome beast. So I wrote a song about it and played with myself for a few tracks. Musically limited but the lyrics might amuse a cellist.

http://www.thegemdoctor.com/tony/cello/

Tony.

Offline zaivanbuijs

• Total Badges: 27
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:38:44 PM »
Well, I'm not a cellist, and I'm not good at making out lyrics on a first listen, but I really like that song you wrote. Excellent work ;D

Offline scruffyeagle

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Search Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008, 04:20:46 AM »
I guess anyone with a real instrument is already cringing with despair and disgust. The one thing about my cello that I truly dislike are the tuning pegs, as an ex-fret-head they came as a complete shock. Of course my cheap and cheerful chinese cello needed some expensive replacement parts or I could do what a fret-head with $10 would do.
<snipped>
That was in February of this year.  I had to adjust my pegs yesterday as I ran out of twiddle on my G string fine tuner. That makes some 9 months without having to touch those ***** pegs.

I'm a bit of an animal and butcher but I'm happy about it.

Tony.

Hi, Tony!

It sounds like a great solution. Do you know if it had any effect on the sound quality? How did you mount the Floyd Rose clamps onto the instrument? (I can't tell from the photo...) Would what you did work on a violin or viola?

Thanks!

Scruffy

Offline TheGemDr

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:04:46 AM »
Hello Scruffy,

As far as fitting a violin I don't know. The $10.00 EBay ubiquitous locking nut is, of course made for a guitar and is 44 mm - 1 3/4" overall width, screw holes approx 8 mm - 5/16" each side of the centre, the 2nd and 5th string (centre 4 strings) are 22 mm or 7/8" outside measurement.

If these dimensions fit your instrument it'll work. I fitted a piece of oak behind the nut in my pegbox which was glued in place with carpenters yellow glue. The supplied screws struck me as being a little too short so I replaced them with longer ones.

Because of the added block I didn't like the abrupt angle that my C string (fat one) now took, so I looped it around the peg of my A (thin one) and back to the C peg. It seems to work OK. Setting the locking nut at an angle may allow conventional routing. Actually replacing the original nut with the locking one may also allow this.

I intended to remove my original nut and replace it with the Floyd Rose but then realised that setting the height of the new nut exactly, would be far more work than simply fitting it behind the existing nut which was already set for my desired height. I believe a cello has more room in the peg box to allow this. Another thing is the Floyd Rose is essentially flat whereas my cello nut is curved. I have little doubt that I could reshape the Floyd Rose but chose not to.

A benefit that occurred to me but was of no personal concern, was that the pegs can actually be removed once the nut is locked. A cellist that knocks themselves in the head with their pegs or gets their hair caught up might enjoy that freedom, if they can stand the scorn of their fellows with open nuts. I am quite sure that fitting this device will definitely reduce the value of the instrument but as mine had none in the first place I wasn't bothered.

As an aside, since Garage Band was so much fun I fired up IMovie and found some clips of me playing which are totally unrelated and made a video around them so that there is something to watch as you listen to 'Big Fiddle Blues'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE9Ik8xSYGQ

Tony.
Ain't Mac's great!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal