Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Home made 'sausage' style chin rest  (Read 2198 times)

Offline jervs

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
Home made 'sausage' style chin rest
« on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:16:29 PM »
Some while back I mentioned that I'd tried playing an old violin with an unusual chin rest. It consisted of just a narrow strip of ebony clamped on top of the rib and a similar one underneath as a kind of mirror image on the bottom. Someone suggested I should make one as I couldn't find any for sale and I eventually got around to doing it.
I made it from pine for ease of carving (if I didn't like it then I wouldn't have wasted all the time that an ebony one would have taken). After making the top piece only, I decided to try it on the violin. The result is the most comfortable and secure rest I've tried, by a long way. I haven't got a picture but it looks a bit like the one on this fiddle http://www.antonsteck.de/index.php?option=com_xemusicgal&Itemid=76 except a bit more tapered and rounded off. I've been playing without a shoulder rest for a while as I like the feeling of freedom and lightness and I never felt as though I had room for it even though it was on it's lowest setting. I still had problems getting a chin rest under my jaw without feeling that it was in the way. With this style of rest your jaw bone just hooks over it lightly - no need to clamp down on it at all - and it feels so secure and free at the same time. The fiddle sits down on my collar bone and right up against my neck making it easier to reach the end of the finger board - like playing on a slightly smaller size fiddle. I'd tried playing without a chin rest ala Tize but it was just a bit too insecure and I felt I was tensing up trying to keep the thing in place. This has cured all that.
I'd urge anyone who plays without a shoulder rest to try this style. It only took about an hour to make and it's a lot more comfortable than it looks. The fiddle feels so light when you pick it up and you really feel the vibes through your jaw. It also sounds better, quite a bit better in fact. I suspect the pine may need to be replaced eventually for something a bit more hard wearing but for now it's great.
Martin

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
Re: Home made 'sausage' style chin rest
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:12:03 PM »
Interesting kind of rest.  Actually, thanks for that link, Anton's playing is a joy to listen to.  Plus - he's got the Muffat Sonata on there.

Offline jervs

• Total Badges: 25
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
Re: Home made 'sausage' style chin rest
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:41:38 PM »
Yes I just love that bloke's tone. Unfortunately copying his chin rest has not enabled me to play like him. ;D

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal