Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: old Italian mando  (Read 3730 times)

Offline June

• Total Badges: 18
    Badges: (View All)
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 4
old Italian mando
« on: Sep 17, 2007, 12:42:09 AM »
Here I go again.  Still looking for that elusive oldish Italian mandolin that's not all glitzed out and not made in Asia.  Any opinions from you pickers out there would be appreciated on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1930s-Italian-Style-Mandolin-w-case_W0QQitemZ270166261414QQihZ017QQcategoryZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The fact that it's got "repairable cracks" around the "soundboard" should concern me.  If they are on the actual body I'm not really sure they are repairable.  Asked the guy to send me pix of the cracks.

How about this one, it "says" no cracks and the hardware looks in better shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1800s-Neat-Old-Ideal-Mandolin-8-String-Bowl_W0QQitemZ120160206943QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Advertise Here

Offline June

Re: old Italian mando
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2007, 02:03:13 AM »
Nevermind, I snapped out of it and am going to wait til the right one comes along in person.  Anyone ever know that the mandolin was also called the harp guitar?

http://www.harpguitars.net/iconography/icon-american_unid.htm

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2007, 07:21:16 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/1800s-Neat-Old-Ideal-Mandolin-8-String-Bowl_W0QQitemZ120160206943QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Are you sure this is a bowl-back?  I can't tell for sure, but it looks like a flat-back, or semi-rounded to me.  Would that bother you?

Maybe you should take a trip to Italy and look for a mandolin while you're there.  ;)  Short of that, estate sales might be your best bet.  Have you tried craigslist?

Offline June

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2007, 01:33:35 AM »
Thanks Aaron.  That one is gone, and I think you're right about the back.  But I'm still wondering about the other one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1930s-Italian-Style-Mandolin-w-case_W0QQitemZ270166261414QQihZ017QQcategoryZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Got this response back re pix of the cracks:

"Just uploaded a few. There are actually two cracks in the
soundboard, the one i told you about previously, and a smaller
on running directly down the center from the bridge to the
tailpiece. I think both of those cracks were structurally repaired
because they are both sturdy and don't bend. The other crack is
on the top right of the soundhole by the neck. Ths one hasn't
been repaired, but all three could be re-done easily."

I mean, I don't even know if the price is right for such an instrument, seems low enough, and she's pretty sweet aside from the cracks...   :-\  Then there's the hardware, probably needs replacing.  This one also says "partially rounded back" ...

Seems I gotta do more homework, but thanks for the thoughts!  I will go to Italy in a heartbeat!   :-*

Offline June

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2007, 02:37:08 AM »
studying mandolins on the net and youtube used by people who play the Italian style and it seems not to matter so much even the shape... saw a couple of clips where blue grass styles were used to play Italian music and sounded just fine

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2007, 03:09:00 AM »
I find the A-frames a lot easier to hold than the bowlbacks, which keep sliding out of your lap.

The fun thing to do is play and sing "O Sol Mio" in Italian, and then slip in a verse with Elvis' "It's Now or Never" in English. Always gets people laughing. :)
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline June

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2007, 03:36:14 AM »
Is this what you mean by A frame Mat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6PH8zg3d7o

I find the A-frames a lot easier to hold than the bowlbacks, which keep sliding out of your lap.

hmmm, might be a matter of preference, I'd rather spoon a fella with a little girth than skin n' bones   :D

Look how sweet (and talented) these kids are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZk5Edqdy0
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2007, 03:46:28 AM by June »

Offline June

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »
Well, I jumped off the edge and got this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=230170626889

It wasn't an educated buy, and it's not a bowl back, but in good condition, was taken by the look and can't go too wrong for starters (I hope).

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2007, 05:58:53 PM »
Is this what you mean by A frame Mat?
Yes, that one is an electric (magnetic pickup at the end of the fingerboard).

Looks like you got an oval-hole A-body with a flat top & back, like my Surf City Gypsy King (I bought an octave mandolin/Irish bozouki from them too)... complete with a set of d'Addario J75's.

If it's a standard A-size, you can get a double fiddle/mando case for the bling-bling fiddle and mando and arrive at the jam in style... ;D

Offline June

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2007, 12:20:20 AM »

Looks like you got an oval-hole A-body with a flat top & back, like my Surf City Gypsy King (I bought an octave mandolin/Irish bozouki from them too)... complete with a set of d'Addario J75's.

Cool, I looked up the Surf City Gypsy King ~ what's the deal with an "octave" mando???  Is that going to mean the string range is different from the violin?

If it's a standard A-size, you can get a double fiddle/mando case for the bling-bling fiddle and mando and arrive at the jam in style... ;D

I try not to walk in with more pizzaz than I can live up to!  But I really like the dbl case.  Good deal in Ebay too, but will wait til the mando gets here for a measurement.

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2007, 12:49:32 AM »
, like my Surf City Gypsy King
I got one of those the end of last year, still working on making the time to figure out playing it.  Did you find the action a little high?  Or is it just me and my lack of Mando experience?

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2007, 02:13:06 AM »
I got one of those the end of last year, still working on making the time to figure out playing it.  Did you find the action a little high?  Or is it just me and my lack of Mando experience?
I did have to do some filing on the nut to bring the strings down, but it was playable as it came. I should bring the bridge down a little with a file (and it's not compensated...) but I rarely go above 3rd position on that thing so it's probably not necessary.

Going to some D'Addario strings helped the tone a lot, it's definitely got a lot of "ka-PLING" to the sound. It fits in a standard-sized A-frame case (and an F-body case as well). For just plunking around, I like it.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2007, 02:23:28 AM »
Cool, I looked up the Surf City Gypsy King ~ what's the deal with an "octave" mando???  Is that going to mean the string range is different from the violin?
It's tuned an octave below a standard mando, with a longer scale, so it speaks lower. If you pick hard right next to the bridge you get a really neat "twangy" banjo sound. It's fun! The Surf City one is actually fairly short-scale, so the fingering is a lot easier than on the standard 22- 23-inch scale ones. (Where you have to resort to a more cello-like technique with lots of shifting...)

John McGann wrote a VERY nice little method book for it, which is worth getting just to get the CD that comes with it for entertainment listening:
http://www.johnmcgann.com/om.html (there's an MP3 or two on the site)

Edit: Here's Men of Ulster, melody on the left, strummed chords on the right. It's a cool sound!

Right now mine is octave strung (the two lowest courses are tuned in octaves, like a 12-string guitar) and it makes for really beautiful, tinkly-sounding strummed chords. I think it's actually a Croatian/Romanian tamburzita just looking at pictures on the web...
I try not to walk in with more pizzaz than I can live up to!  But I really like the dbl case.  Good deal in Ebay too, but will wait til the mando gets here for a measurement.
The double cases that "musicsupplier" guy has are a great deal, you can't beat $80 for a double violin case or mando/violin case with free shipping... :)

Offline June

« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:21:23 AM »
I know so little about this mando coming I don't even know if it's octave dif or anything ~ mystery's half the fun

...just looking at pictures on the web...The double cases that "musicsupplier" guy has are a great deal, you can't beat $80 for a double violin case or mando/violin case with free shipping... :)

yep  ;D that's the one, 50-75$ cheaper (not counting shipping) for the same brand.

Thanks for the links ~ off to check them out.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal