Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Sigma mandolins by Martin  (Read 17136 times)

Offline ME_ Poppa

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Sigma mandolins by Martin
« on: Aug 04, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »
Hello,

Does anybody have an idea of what the relative worth of a Sigma mandolin would be?  I am looking to buy one for my daughter who has been playing now for a couple of years she is currently using my old, old Harmony that I bought in the mid-70's.

The Sigma that I am looking at costs $200.00 and is advertised as being in excellent condition.

Thanks for your help!

Craig

Offline winterowl

• Total Badges: 18
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 4
Re: Sigma mandolins by Martin
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
It's been a number of years, and I remember little about my Sigma except that I thought it very playable, with a pleasant tone.

Offline jenford

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2007, 05:01:21 AM »
Make sure it's not a laminate top - and it is setup well.
At least decent action - not too high off the fingerboard. A good used Mid-Missouri would be nice. 

Jen

Offline chili

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2007, 04:32:57 AM »
Yes, buyer beware, I bought a mandolin on e-bay for $60.00.  It had a laminate (plywood)top and just has no tone at all.  I'm not sure what to do with it, maybe donate it to the Goodwill.

Chili

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2007, 08:00:07 AM »
http://www.guitarsite.com/database/Guitars/rec/3409/wwwboard/messages/20.shtml

Have a quick look here.

You don't know you're born over there. Here in the UK a $200 (100) is little more than a box on a stick, useful for practice but not much else.

Offline pfiddlepat

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2007, 06:00:38 AM »
I know nothing about the Sigma mandolins, but I know Sigma made some decent guitars...  I didn't want to bring my guitar with me to college, didn't want to worry about it on the plane, or get it broken or stole, so I picked up a mid 80's Sigma Dm-4 for 150 down here in Tucson.

Offline playbadguitar

• Total Badges: 8
    Fourth year Anniversary Combination Level 2
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2009, 01:43:48 AM »
This reply is coming very late but I figure it might be useful to anyone in the future looking for similar information.

I own a consignment shop and build guitars in Northern Mississippi and recently had a Sigma Mandolin SM-6 come through the store and did some research in trying to sell it.

Depending on the model number I would say $200 for an excellent condition Sigma Mandolin is a very good deal.

Sigma Mandolins vary in price.  I have seen them recently from $200-1,000. From what I can tell it comes down to the wood they were made of.  Solid spruce carved instruments, as you may know, retain a higher quality sound over their lifetime then does a wood like, say, maple.

I've seen SM-6 mandolins sold- both online (ebay and dealers) and at vintage retailers- going for around 650-1000, while the Sm-3's go for around $2-400.  I believe the Sm-6's are usually made of spruce and that's one of the main reasons for their price.

I am interested to know more about these instruments as I have been hearing talk of them from players and and seeing more questions about them on these types of forums.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal