Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: MandoBIrd pickup issue  (Read 3393 times)

Offline muttonhead

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
MandoBIrd pickup issue
« on: Jul 19, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »
Hi all -
I just got my MandoBird (electric solid body mandolin) last week and over all I'm quite pleased. The only real issue is that the D string has somewhat lower volume output through the pickup than the G string does. I've tried different strings and adjusting the pickup up and down (which did help with the 'E'). One maybe expects less sustain as one goes from the heavier to lighter strings (G to E) but having the D much lower volume overall than the G and somewhat lower than the A doesn't seem right.
Any thoughts?

Advertise Here

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: MandoBIrd pickup issue
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2007, 07:59:40 PM »
It's basically half a P-Bass pickup, set up as a non-humbucking single coil. The solution would seem to be to get a pickup with individually adjustable polepieces and crank the one for the D string.

I got a Jupiter Creek (Robin Dick in Australia) mini-Tele mando and had similar problems with the same pickup arrangement, and that seemed to work pretty well. I think the pickup I put in is half a DiMarzio Vintage P. I want to get some kind of humbucking pickup for it though, the 60Hz from the current arrangement is pretty annoying.
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline muttonhead

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2007, 08:21:17 PM »
The solution would seem to be to get a pickup with individually adjustable polepieces and crank the one for the D string.
I think the pickup I put in is half a DiMarzio Vintage P. I want to get some kind of humbucking pickup for it though, the 60Hz from the current arrangement is pretty annoying.
Yeah, I was thinking adjustable pole humbuckler too.
I was unaware the Vintage P had adjustable pole pieces. Worth a look.
A strat style humbuckler cut down to four and rewound sounds like the best option. If I go to that much trouble though I'll probably stick in a bridge pickup as well. Could be fun.
What strings did you end up with?

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2007, 09:10:07 PM »
If I go to that much trouble though I'll probably stick in a bridge pickup as well. Could be fun.
I was thinking just leave an entire P-bass pickup wired up as a humbucker, phasing could get weird (short scale length) though.
What strings did you end up with?
LaBellas, with the ball ends for the Ovation mando, .011's on top. Since it's a four-string, it's two sets for the price of one! :)
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline muttonhead

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »
I was thinking just leave an entire P-bass pickup wired up as a humbucker, phasing could get weird (short scale length) though.
Strings: LaBellas, with the ball ends for the Ovation mando, .011's on top. Since it's a four-string, it's two sets for the price of one! :)

I tried a thicker cored D string this weekend. That plus lowering the D and raising the G using the individually adjustable saddles fixed most of the string imbalance issues. Tried a .012 on the E plus lowering, and that got the E closer to proper balance too. Now the tension's a bit high and my fingers are hurting...
I'll look at the LaBellas. Certainly worth a shot. Wonder if they'll be long enough?

Got a used PBass pickup for $5 that looks worth a try. Routing the body top isn't gonna be fun though. May just install a plate like the stratocasters have so it's easier to fuss around. Given the percentage of scale length (even if put right next to each other) that would be covered by attempting to set up the second pickup for humbuckling, I don't think that's likely to sound all that good. Even the smaller% difference between the neck and middle pickups on a Strat doesn't work all that well IMHO. I'm looking to put the second pickup at the same scale percentage as a Les Paul. Maybe with lots of shielding...
I took a Strat humbuckler apart yesterday and I think, shortened and re-wound this would be the ideal pickup.
Very ugly (and expensive) process though.

Offline chili

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2007, 04:40:38 AM »
Steve Ryder makes great pickups for electric mandolins and he does custom work as well.  My Ryder single coil in my mandocaster was a vast improvement over various cobbled together bass pickups I had tryed in the past.

http://sjryder.com/

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal