Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Anyone flown with their mandolin on Ryanair recently?  (Read 1873 times)

Offline johnnie40coats

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
Anyone flown with their mandolin on Ryanair recently?
« on: Jun 23, 2007, 11:38:13 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has recently flown with their mandolin on Ryanair, and if you were allowed carry it on or forced to check it in? I'm heading over to Brighton in a few weeks to collect my Buchanan mando from The Acoustic Music Co. - trying to figure out whether to fly or get the boat/train over. Ryanair folks can be so damn cranky  and I'm envisioning nightmare scenarios of showing up for my return flight and them demanding the mandolin go as luggage.

RTP

Offline Crofty

• Total Badges: 19
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Level 4
Re: Anyone flown with their mandolin on Ryanair recently?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2007, 04:59:28 PM »
Hi Johnnie
Not much help I am afraid,I have flown with some of the other Internal UK operators,BA,Flybe,Easyjet etc and they let me take my mandolin on as cabin luggage.
I might check it in the hold in a hard case,but you hear all these horror stories.
Can,t you phone them up and ask them first,
I have had instruments taken into the cabin by staff and given to me on disembarkation,perhaps they would do that.
I think you will like your Buchanan,but If you are going over to Trevor's shop you might end up coming back with something else when you see his stock.

Crofty 

Offline johnnie40coats

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:53:55 PM »
Hiya Crofty-
I have tried calling Ryanair and keep getting this answer "They'll let you know at the airport...."  It has occured to me that I might be tempted by something else when I'm at Trevor's but seeing as the Buchanan has been put aside with a deposit on it for a few weeks, he might not take kindly to me changing my mind! I've only heard good things about them so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happy with it. I'll also be wildly surprised if I make it to the end of this year in possession of only "one" mandolin - MAS is already setting in! Ok, guess I'll just take the plunge and buy the Ryanair ticket while the price is still cheap.

Johnnie

Offline pfiddlepat

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2007, 11:51:36 PM »
No experience with Ryanair, but I have flown a bunch with my mando.  It is small enough that it can be carried on, fits easily in the overhead bins, and I have never had a problem with it.  On a similar subject, has anyone had experience flying with a guitar?

Offline johnnie40coats

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2007, 10:03:40 PM »
Ok, here's an update on flying with Ryanair - I had no problems at all getting on with the mandolin, it is a tiny bit longer than the dimensions that they are supposedly "strictly adhering to" but no one gave me a second look. And my mando case was far less bulky than many of the little carry on cases that other folks were travelling with. Oh, and Crofty, you were right, I ended up coming home with a totally different mandolin! I went for a used Moon A plus E, tobacco sunburst, one point with a cast tailpiece. This model comes with a Fishman piezo pickup which is a nice bonus. I love it and haven't stopped playing it! Oh, and regarding flying with guitars, I was quite surprised to see not one but THREE guitars travelling as hand luggage on my Ryanair flight over to London! Two in shaped cases and one in a rectangular case. Kind of blew me away really because the last time I was able to travel with a guitar as hand luggage was back in about '86 if I recall correctly!

Johnnie

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal