Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: trip to Clareen Banjos today....  (Read 1501 times)

Offline johnnie40coats

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
trip to Clareen Banjos today....
« on: Jun 29, 2007, 09:48:39 PM »
It actually DIDN'T rain here today, so I decided to take a drive to Clarinbridge, Co. Galway to check out the Clareen Banjos shop/workshop. Talk about a great afternoon! I sat and played banjos (and mandolins) for about 2 hours. Tom Cussen, who's shop it is, is such a nice fella too, took time to answer all kinds of questions from me and just chat. I played some nice vintage banjos - a Maybell, a Slingerland, a Gretsch, a Ludwig, and the one that I liked the most, which was a W.H. (or was it W. M.?) Stahl from 1925. For some reason I just kept going back to that one. Also played a new "Clareen Special" which was very nice. It was great to be able to compare all the different tones each banjo had. Also played some mandolins - a German one, maker unknown, that was very similar to the Buchanan I'm buying, and an old Martin bent top mando. Got two CD's while I was there, a banjo one - "Pick it Up" by Enda Scahill, and a mandolin one "Swinging on a Gate with an Irish Mandolin" by John Colfer. Can't wait to have the cash to upgrade my banjo now!

Johnnie

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal