Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Anyone Using an Incredibow as Their Primary Bow?  (Read 6820 times)

Offline jenford

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
Anyone Using an Incredibow as Their Primary Bow?
« on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:06:50 AM »
Hi All,

Anyone so in love with their Incredibow that they have left the traditional bow for one of these?

Best,
Jen Ford

Advertise Here

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths
    • madfiddler - Electric Violinist

• Total Badges: 44
    Mobile User Level 7 5000 Posts
Re: Anyone Using an Incredibow as Their Primary Bow?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:10:50 AM »
I mix and match. I use my Beta Bow for songs which need lush long slow bows, ny old lightweight Incredibow for very fast songs, and songs I think I may break hair in, and my aururobow realis for everything in between :)

I don't own a wooden bow, but having played GC's bows at FH-UK 06 I know that I really should own a good wooden bow. On an acoustic violin, there's nothing else like it.
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra membership privileges.

Offline feodosia

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »
I took me awhile to get used to it , months actually ... but now it's just about all I use  ....  everything else feels like a brickbat   :-)

I have quite a lump going on my index finger now ...not sure if the lighter bow weight is making me press harder or not ?     

Im thinking about getting me another one , one of dem  purtty  ones  >:D

Offline jervs

• Total Badges: 25
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »
I bought a no-frills incredibow to replace a cheap fibreglass bow that I had difficulty controlling (probably more my fault than the bows but I'm always tempted by new ideas). I found it much superior, after some minor initial probelms with rosin/grip, and used it exclusively for probably 12 months. I believe it helped a lot to teach me how to apply correct finger pressure/arm weight to the bow - you can't rely on the weight of the bow alone with a feather weight IB. It was also much easier to use down near the frog than a standard bow.
At my next birthday I treated myself to a new pernambuco/horehair bow - 80 chinese job. Gradually I've switched to using this almost exclusively. The one thing I never completely got used to with the IB was the difference in feel due to the upward arch - it feels like it's going to buckle under pressure (though never does). Despite this feeling it is probablty the easiest bow to handle out of the three I have.
I still go back to it occsaionally and am always surprised at how good it is. I have no problems switching between the two, as some people have claimed. There is a difference in tone between the IB and the wooden bow - I wouldn't say either is superior, just different. My bow control has improved a lot after using the IB and I find I can now handle even the old fibreglass bow much better (though I only use it occasionally out of curiosity).
Bit of name-dropping here - I once swapped bows with Sille Ilves of Sild (they play some lovely stuff  http://www.sildmusic.com/ if you're interested) as she was curious about my Incredibow. She found it too light for her taste but sounded great with it immediately. Her bow, a fairly weighty wooden one, was a delight to use - totally controllable, seemed to stick to the string and always tracked straight - but I still couldn't play like her!!
Ramble over.

Offline fiddlinfreak32

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 Seventh year Anniversary Super Combination
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2007, 08:17:40 PM »
I haven't touched my old bow (which I used for about 20 years) since getting my IB a few years ago.  I love the light weight of it...I feel like I can play for a lot longer without my arm getting tired, and my triplets are so much better using it.

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2007, 07:39:40 AM »
Bit of name-dropping here - I once swapped bows with Sille Ilves of Sild (they play some lovely stuff  http://www.sildmusic.com/ if you're interested)

Just to add my name drop bit. Met her a couple of times. A lovely fiddler and a lovely lady.

BTW When I get it back from a friend I'll have a brass (gold) effect Incredibow for sale.

Offline jenford

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
Has anyone tried their non-featherweight bows?
Sometimes I like a heavy stick.  (now,no sly comments on that one!)

Best,
Jen Ford

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2007, 01:32:42 AM »
<pricking up my ears>

I have a regular-weight one that I use for fiddle and viola, not so much for viola lately, but that might be more because I keep them in different places. Feodosia tried it out at one of the Groton Fiddle Hells. I guess he still likes his lightweight one better... Jim?

My wife has been using the featherweight one more lately, after not being all that smitten with it at first, but her main acoustic bow is still the nice pernambuco stick made by a fellow not far from here, the one she calls Spot. Something about lime seltzer splashing around at a session, and now there are dark speckles on it.
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline feodosia

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2007, 09:57:53 PM »
Hey Beez

yeah, at the time that I tried your regular weight I-bow, I had two things going against me ...

1st - was that I wasn't even quite used to mine yet because it was a big departure from the standard bows I was used to ..

2nd- at the time I tried yours, the rosin on your bow hadn't quite " sunk in " to the fibers yet ... your bow was slipping on my strings, alot of slick spots...  which Ive come to believe the only way to fix that is too keep bowing and bowing alot to get the rosin the take effect ...the fibers on these I-bows behave differently then horsehair..

I don't know if the bow had anything to do with it  ... or the fact that at times I go on practise binges and play like a fiend ....but Im a better fiddler then I was a year ago . ;)

Wonder if we can use alchohol to clean our fibers too ??

Offline zaivanbuijs

• Total Badges: 27
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2007, 10:17:07 PM »
   I don't know if the bow had anything to do with it  ... or the fact that at times I go on practise binges and play like a fiend ....but Im a better fiddler then I was a year ago . ;)

Wonder if we can use alchohol to clean our fibers too ??

I've had mine since Buxton and I do think it's teaching me some stuff. Not sure if I'll ever like it enough to not want to play with my other bows, but I don't think I'll get rid of the incredibow anytime soon either.

Yes, one can use alcohol to clean the "hair", tried it and it did a great job of getting rid of the currystains. ;)

Offline Nfkfiddler

« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2007, 02:03:57 PM »
I have two standard weights.  Use one or the other all the time depending which 'outfit' I take out with me

Offline downtowndalebrown

• Total Badges: 29
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2007, 11:00:10 PM »
I've used my incredibow exclusively since I got it a year ago. My bandmates still give it a funny look as I haven't broken one hair on it, and I was notorious for going through a bow in a weekend.  I almost miss how cool the breaking hair looks!  Oh well, that's what other people's bows are for (jk).

Another wonderful benefit is that my bow hand barely ever cramps anymore.  Our other fiddle player is strongly considering picking one up just for use at the bars.

Offline muttonhead

• Total Badges: 24
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2007, 07:21:36 PM »
Has anyone tried their non-featherweight bows?
Sometimes I like a heavy stick.  (now,no sly comments on that one!)

Best,
Jen Ford

I have an IB Featherweight AuroraBowRealis that I like pretty well, but months later still have occasional control issues with the light weight and somewhat relaxed tension so I ordered a 'high tension' version, which also weighs a bit more throughout the stick, and it's just about perfect for my uses. Even does well on the 5 string baritone even though I don't play that very often.
I did try adding a little weight to the end of the featherweight bow and that did help, but for me the tension felt too low in relation to the mass. To be fair, I tend to use fairly high tension on my regular bow.

Wonder if we can use alcohol to clean our fibers too ??

Not only does alcohol work well for cleaning, but on my second IB I tried the trick of leaving the hair somewhat damp with alcohol for the first rosining and that worked REALLY well. With the right amount of 'dampness' the Hill Dark went on very throughly, and then a couple re-rosinings later after it dried and it worked better than the earlier bow after ten times the effort/time.

Despite one shipping mishap that they fixed quickly the folks at IB have been GREAT to work with.
Kudos to Ed and crew.

Offline skip

• Today is a good day to Fiddle!

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2007, 07:29:16 PM »
I have the regular weight IB and I love it, haven't tried the featherweight...I kinda have a feeling I wouldn't like it...

Offline TheGemDr

• Total Badges: 18
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2007, 08:13:31 PM »
I haven't broken one hair on it, and I was notorious for going through a bow in a weekend.

I am intrigued. Last night we had a session that was  well lubricated with a large size Wyndham estate bin 555 shiraz. Needless to say things got a little out of hand and we drifted into some raucous metal tunes. I was losing at least a couple of hairs per tune. Now I'm sober and worried, I had way too much fun but I'm not eager to sacrifice my bow in this way.  I guess I'm asking if I need to do something about my technique or buy an incedibow.

Tony.

Offline chaoscat

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2007, 02:34:57 PM »
I have a featherweight Incredibow, and really had no idea how much I was struggling to control it - until I tried (and bought) a Coda Diamond SX this weekend. My playing IMMEDIATELY improved significantly. Shakes and bounces that had plagued me in some tunes disappeared. My tone is smoother and more even now. I might consider buying a regular weight Incredibow in the future as a backup, but the featherweight bow is now probably retired.

Offline downtowndalebrown

• Total Badges: 29
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2007, 02:54:04 AM »
One thing that has plagued me about the incredibow is getting used to the convex curve.  Don't get me wrong; I LOVE my featherweight, but I'm considering getting either my Yamaha composite bow or another of the like rehaired with the Incredibow hair to have the option of switching bows for my purpose.  Sorry for sounding a bit pomp, but I believe that even the slightest change in what you're using can change what you achieve.  Ask any guitar player how particular they are about their picks!

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:33:54 AM »
Tried shooting at targets with mine...works pretty well actually ;)

Offline suamor

• Total Badges: 28
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2007, 06:37:58 PM »
I use the Incredibow as primary now since months, I had featherweight (viola) first, there I often switched with my normal bows. I now have an high-tension version (violin) with normal weight (a bit lighter than my normal viola/violin bow) and I don't look back (except I forget it, but I don't have much trouble in switching).

I play with it on all instruments including my viper (6 string), the high tensions makes it much easier to play on the low strings, though I only use Crystral colophon. I play more classical style than fiddle/baroque style, but with that bow that is all no problem. I plan to get one of these nice-looking incredibaroque bows next year (the weight might be a little lighter, and maybe I choose an adaptable tension, but high tension should suffice).

Reinhard

Offline morning

Level 5 Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2007, 01:56:34 AM »
I ordered and paid for my Incredibow on October 9. That would be a month and 18 days ago. Am I being too MacFiddle ( impatient) thinking it should have arrived by now?

Offline suamor

• Total Badges: 28
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:06:51 AM »
Go to the Incredibow forum and read the latest news from Ed. It is located at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incredibow/message/1041

Offline Fiddlingfrenzy

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »
I left mine in my violin case and my teacher saw it and wasn't impressed by it. ::) But that doesn't mean I won't be using it any more ;)
Its good to have a change now and then!

Offline morning

« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2007, 06:33:41 PM »
About my undelivered Incredibow, I have gone to the page you recommended, Suamor, and now I understand the delay. I guess I can settle down and wait a bit more. Heck, I might not even like it anyway. I know my teacher is going to be pretty skeptical about it. And I am in a stage where my playing is improving very quickly. It's probably just as well, I don't introduce a variable.

Offline martyn

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2007, 06:39:19 PM »
I use the Incredibow as a primary bow, but only on my electric fiddle. It feels like I don't need to impart as much energy to the strings to play them on the electric; I supose it's because the strings don't need to excite the body of the fiddle to create the sound. The incredibow works well on my acoustic, but I think my wood bow beats it for tone production.

Offline fiddlinrev

Level 4 Sixth year Anniversary Level 3
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:05:35 PM »
I bought my first IB about 3 years ago, then traded up to a featherweight Aurora Bowrealis and later got a nice, dressy-looking stardust also in featherweight.  I have a decent wood bow that I've rarely touched since getting my first IB.  Every now and again, I pick it up, play a while and decide, yep, I still hate it.

I've got FMS, and so the weight of the featherweight is a blessing to me.  I still can't fling a wood bow for nearly as long, nor with anywhere near the control I can exert on my IB.  The upward arc is much more comfortable for folks with fibro. For me, the tone I get on my standard violin and either of my electrics is much better than any of my wood bows and the fiberglass bows I had have been relegated to stirring paint, where they actually sound better doing it.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went to the local music shop a couple of years ago and tried every bow they had from US$300 to US$1200 (as if!  but I wanted to say I had tried).  Nothing, not one of them did as well for me as either of my newer IB's.  De gustibus I suppose.

I only had problems with rosin not wanting to stick with my first IB.  I changed to Jade and that seems to work beautifully, first time, every time.  I also just changed to Dominant strings which seem to want a bit more rosin;  no problem, I just reapply a quick touch-up and keep rawkin'.  Oh, my, such an improvement over the Red Labels.  Instant Thomastik fan, here.

(Digressing for just one paragraph: Is anyone using an IB with Thomastik Vision strings?  The specs seem tasty, but before I lay out the bucks, I'd like to hear.  I've got two electrics badly in need of restringing and little cash to spare. Bang:Buck ratio has gotta be high.)

As a side anecdote:  I officiated a wedding a couple of months ago where two very young men were providing the music.  Both of them are excellent violinists, and I complimented their parents.  We got to talking and I went to my car to bring back my fiddle case with the IB's in it.  As they were admiring the shape and weight, I dropped one and the immediate gasp fluttered my lapels.  Not to worry, I said, these are near-indestructible which means great for students, beginners, little kids who need lighter weight and for those who are seriously rough on hair at gigs.  The mom said, "how much did you say they were never mind we're getting a pair of them give me the URL again please", all one phrase like that.  We know who watches the pocketbook there :D

There again, whether you love or despise an IB is strictly to taste.  The kids tried them and  one brother thought it was very cool and wanted one; the other wasn't so impressed, but said he wouldn't mind using one, especially at the end of a long wedding gig where they do prelude, service and reception.

Ed just came out with a new version of high-tension bow I've reallllly got the I-Want's for.  If I'm lucky enough to come up with a new high-tension, I'll post separately.  Since those have a bit more weight, those might be more to your taste.  At the price, even if you don't really like it, you won't have lost much, and might even find someone here ready to adopt it at price.

Offline Ron

• Total Badges: 21
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
Up until about 6 months ago, my only bows were the cheap brazilwood ones that come with the fiddle when you buy it. I decided to try an Incredibow as a possible improvement, and so got the featherweight model. It was a definite step up; it sounded better, less hair noise, less bounce, etc. Plus the light weight made it really agile on the faster stuff.

About 6 weeks ago I tested out a bunch of moderately priced actual pernambuco bows, and wound up buying one for about $600. It's definitely a step up from the IB; the tone is smoother, richer, and deeper. I use it almost all the time now, but still pull out the IB sometimes if I'm trying to go fast; the high tension plus the light weight makes it feel like stiffly sprung sports car on a winding road. Overall, though, the "ride" is better with the pernambuco :)

Ron

Offline Karpind

Level 4 Sixth year Anniversary Level 3
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »
When I said that I was thinking of learning the fiddle, a friend recommended the Incredibow as being 'idiot proof'. 
Yes, I've got some nice so-called friends, haven't I?  :D

I got one and took it, along with my brand new student violin, to my first lesson. 

My teacher took one look at it.  Her face screwed up as though she had swallowed a slice of lemon that had been soaking in a bucket of stale urine.

Yes, she liked it that much!  ;D

She played a few tunes with it and said the balance was all wrong.

'Too bad', says I, 'because it's all I've got and that's what I'll have to use until I can afford something else.'

I'm still using it. 

And now she's got one, too. 

And we all lived happily ever after.   ;D

Offline AlexFields

• Total Badges: 13
    Sixth year Anniversary Super Combination Level 3
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:09:55 AM »
"My bandmates still give it a funny look as I haven't broken one hair on it, and I was notorious for going through a bow in a weekend."

I'm the same way.  Fortunately I am primarily a mandolinist and not a fiddler, because I break like three hairs per solo when I'm really into it.  I just play harder than rubbish, perhaps to make up for how lightly I play on mandolin.  And as best I can remember I have never broken a hair on either of my Incredibows...not that I use them that much, but I was using one pretty frequently for a while back when I couldn't use my wooden bow because I'd broken too much hair off it and had to get it rehaired.

I really need to get a nice wooden bow though, mine is fairly cheap and I need to have two so I'll have something to play while the other is getting rehaired (which is a frequent occurence).  I don't like the Incredibow enough to actually use it on recording or on stage.

That said, I currently have an Incredibow for sale.  Hah.

Offline morning

« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:55:12 PM »
My incredibow arrived yesterday. It's hot pink! I had forgotten that I'd ordered it that way. I think I'm going to like it. I had a lesson just an hour after it came and my teacher used it throughout the lesson. I think he liked it. He wrote down the website and asked if that was the only color.
I'm about to go practice for the first time with it.
The Wilcox's sure understand the adage that presentation is everything. It arrived in a tube of pvc pipe, and emerged wrapped in black silk with an artificial rose attached. Delightful, really.
But, then, you all know that.

Offline Happy Camper

Tenth year Anniversary Apple User Level 5
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:31:45 PM »

I sure do like taking the IB off the stand and just bow with it.  Don't have to crank it up or anything to play with it.

I think it is a good bow.  Some like it and some don't, but that is the way it is with different kinds of vehicles.  What some love - some find something to gripe about it.  Being different and liking different things makes for all kinds of different toys and colors to satisfy all.  Not a bad thing.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal