Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Traveling cases  (Read 1296 times)

Offline kurrym

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
Traveling cases
« on: Jun 11, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
Need some advice!

I'll be traveling to China this summer for a international string workshop. I play violin and was noticing that my case is REALLY heavy...esp with all my music and random objects in it. So I'm now looking for a new, realtively cheap case I can use to go traveling that is light, but durable and has back straps. At first I was mostly looking for one so that I could wear it on my back, but realized that I could just buy two case straps to do that.

Any other advice for traveling with a violin would be greatly appreciated. I've traveled with my violin to places near the equator, and the violin seemed to do well, but I've heard horror stories of strings popping and bows being warped. So I'm not sure if I've just had good luck or what!

Thanks!

Keri

Offline kurrym

• Total Badges: 19
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
Re: Traveling cases
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2007, 04:23:08 PM »
I forgot, another option is to buy a CUSHY backpack that goes around the case.....

Offline rcc

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2007, 11:30:21 PM »
My 2 cents -- Buy the Cushy.  Or a Mooradian.  Or something like that.  Or buy a much better (and unfortunately more expensive) case than you have now.

Why?

First:  cheap, lightweight, good protection.

Pick two.  Getting a new case with all three is impossible.

Second, when you travel is when you're most likely to

- expose the case/instrument to adverse weather, climate  and other enviromental conditions
- knock it about yourself
- have others knock into it
- not be near a good string shop to fix things
- most need the instrument to be functional at all times.

I submit that travelling is when you want *more* protection than normal, not less.

A Cushy or Mooradian adds protection to your existing case (with respect to both impact and thermal insulation) whereas a new case would replace (and likely supply less) protection than your existing case.  And a Cushy/Mooradian will make your existing case more comfortable to use a backpack.

Or you could get a Musafia.  $$$.  But a great case with very good weight considering the protection.

- Ray

Offline midiviolin

• Total Badges: 32
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »
Musafia costs too much money.
anyway get a good plywood case not a polystirol (believe me. I faced a  bad experience in the past :( )
if the case is too heavy 'couse you got lots of other stuff in, just take another bag and put the other stuff there.

BTW if you go to china buy there a case, it will cost you much less :)
good luck!

Offline Joyful noise

• Total Badges: 22
    Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:20:14 AM »
Mooradian.
Its survived nigh on monsoon conditions in Cardiff (Wales!). really comofrtable, no matter how much weight I have in it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal