Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Incredibow - I'm impressed!  (Read 10232 times)

Offline terry1

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
Incredibow - I'm impressed!
« on: May 26, 2007, 05:24:27 AM »
Just received my first bow and this is what I sent Mr. Wilcox at Incredibow.

Mr Wilcox

I just received my  Incredibow in the mail today. I'm not that easily impressed at my age nor am I normally at a loss of words. But after coming.home late in the evening from a good days work. All I can say is WOW! now mind you I haven't even played it yet. But when I saw the way it was well packaged and when I open it up I assumed wrapped in black silk with a gold ribbon and rose. It made me feel as if some one had sent me a present. When I got to lay eyes on my very first bow and the way the light hit it I have to admit I kinda got choked up. After looking at it and the craftsmanship and details. If it plays half as well it looks you will have a customer for life.

Sincerely Terry

Need I say more!   ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 05:18:20 PM by madfiddler »

Offline Panira

• Total Badges: 25
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Mobile User
Re: Incredibow - I'm impressed!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 07:07:43 AM »
hm, and I was always kind of hesitant to try those.... I might have to now...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:18:44 AM by madfiddler »

Offline jenford

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 03:15:40 AM »
I like my incredibow - I've been using it alot lately.

Best,
Jen Ford

Offline terry1

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 04:54:54 AM »
What can I say I was and still am impressed. Its the little things that really set them way apart from other company's. It actually shows they care about what they sell. I work at Home depot and I see how the customer care should be and I'm not just talking word of mouth. They back it up with action! Not a bunch of empty words.

Offline marktheharp

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2007, 08:55:07 AM »
Just received my first bow and this is what I sent Mr. Wilcox at Incredibow.

Need I say more!   ;)

Hi Terry - only problem is, they're so good that unless you need a second one you probably won't need to give him any more custom for a while! It's so rare and great to find a product that's so well-made. We have tons of testimonials from people who put them through all sorts of torture without any adverse effects. I think they're a great purchase - provided of course you like the things in the first place...

Offline fiddlefixer

• Total Badges: 14
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Super Combination
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2007, 10:29:52 PM »
How are these rehaired?  I looked at the website and the hair looks like it has special attachments.  :afro:

Offline morning

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2007, 12:06:22 AM »
It tells you on the site that they don't re-hair. They don't have to. I'm very curious about the incredibow. Oldtimey folks are so traditional. How do they play shuffles and accents?

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2007, 12:28:32 AM »
How are these rehaired?  I looked at the website and the hair looks like it has special attachments.  :afro:
They don't NEED re-hairing, the synthetic hair is very tough, I haven't heard of anyone managing to break any of it! They recently started marketing the hair separately to re-hair traditional bows with. Possibly for the last re-hair...
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline skip

• Today is a good day to Fiddle!

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »
I got an incredibow maybe about a year ago....slowly I've gotten to the point where it's the bow I use about 90% of the time, I love the thing. My "real" bow is a pretty nice one, but it just can't do some of the stuff the IB can. I chop and use a lot of percussive effects in my playing and the thing is amazing for that kinda stuff...

Offline AlexFields

• Total Badges: 13
    Sixth year Anniversary Super Combination Level 3
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:14:17 AM »
"I chop and use a lot of percussive effects in my playing and the thing is amazing for that kinda stuff..."

Really?  I do a LOT of rhythm chopping when I play fiddle, and I have not been able to get the Incredibow to work for this stuff at all.  My lightweight wooden bow is far, far better at it, at least for me.  It's true that you can beat the heck out of an Incredibow without any serious risk though, which isn't so true of a wooden bow...I'm afraid I'm not a very kind bow owner so I worry about my wooden bow.

Offline Andy Reiner

• Total Badges: 26
    Search Apple User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2007, 12:42:38 PM »
It doesn't work for me for chopping either...

Offline muttonhead

• Total Badges: 24
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2008, 07:28:24 PM »
Featherweight IB -> Chop -> Some technique adjustment required
Middleweight High Tension IB -> Chop -> Mmmm mmmm good.

Offline Nick2

• Ape of scrape

• Total Badges: 27
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2008, 11:15:30 PM »
I've had mine about a month now. Pretty pleased with it. It's a very grippy hair when rosined up , and the bow is really light. It gives a combination of aggresiveness and volume and speed which is great for some styles of music. If you are playing classical and looking for subtle/quiet stuff it is a bit of a challenge-needs some adjustment in technique -but I think a good bow and fantastic value for money.
Now ear this!

Offline TheGemDr

• Total Badges: 18
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2008, 04:01:39 AM »
My cello iBow (blue sparkly) is only a couple of weeks old, and I'm getting more thrilled with it daily. My wooden bows seem to require a lot more finesse to get solid notes. I am finding my intonation has improved surprisingly now that I'm not having to concentrate on getting the bow just right.

Tony.

Offline Zetajazz44

• Total Badges: 17
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »
I don't actually have the IncrediBow, but I opted to have my P&H Carbon bow re-haired with IncrediHair...  So far I'm liking it.  It is the best synthetic hair that I've ever used.  I do find that it requires more rosin that standard horse hair...

Typically in the past, I would have to have my bows re-haired every month...I'd simply break all the hair out due to my heavy style of bowing...and style of music played.  I have been using this IncrediHair for about 4 months now and have yet to break one single hair...

Offline muttonhead

• Total Badges: 24
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:58:49 PM »
My cello iBow (blue sparkly) is only a couple of weeks old, and I'm getting more thrilled with it daily. My wooden bows seem to require a lot more finesse to get solid notes. I am finding my intonation has improved surprisingly now that I'm not having to concentrate on getting the bow just right.     Tony. 

I'm finding the same thing using my Viola hair-width 'high-tension' bow on my baritone.

Offline highlandsun

Level 4 Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »
I realize from the other thread that things have ... changed ... over at Incredibow (and that's very sad), but has anyone heard from them recently? It appears that the business is still going on. I just ordered a bow from them yesterday, and emailed about it as well, and haven't gotten any response yet. That's a little disconcerting since PayPal already sent them cash from my bank account.

Offline jervs

• Total Badges: 25
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »
I gather from the discussion forum for incredibow that on top of Ed Wilcox's untimely death, his wife Carolyn has been quite ill. I think she deals with a lot of the emails. From what other people have said about this company I would bet your money is safe and that your bow will arrive in due course, if a little delayed. Seem like a pretty decent bunch of people to me.
See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incredibow/

Offline highlandsun

« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »
Ah, thanks for that pointer. It's obvious they're dealing with a lot of misfortune now. I wish them all the best.

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths
    • madfiddler - Electric Violinist

• Total Badges: 44
    Mobile User Level 7 5000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2008, 02:21:38 PM »
I don't think there is anything to worry about. When Ed's passing, and Carolyn's illness things have slowed down, and the bows are so popular there's bound to be a bit of backlog.
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra membership privileges.

Offline PhiddlePhartz

Eighth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »
I ordered one a little over a month ago.  Went a couple of weeks with no response.  When I e-mailed inquiring about order status Heidi replied after a couple of days and said that Steve would be working on my bow that day and she would let me know when it had shipped.  A couple more weeks and nothing so I sent another inquiring e-mail in the middle of this past week.  Still waiting to hear back on this one . . .

Offline highlandsun

« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »
I wonder if they can just send out some Incredihair, so I could use that on my current bow. That certainly ought to be less labor intensive for them.

Offline PhiddlePhartz

« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »
It's really hard to say as they aren't being all that communicative.  There's been no informative updates either here, or the yahoo-incredibow group, or the company website.  Just people asking the same questions.

Offline highlandsun

« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2008, 10:44:27 AM »
I got an email reply from Heidi tonight, so I'm no longer worried. :)

The bad news is that she told me they're not making Icebows now, because only Ed could make those (and of course, that was my first choice). So I have to pick a color now (I'm thinking polished graphite) and things will move forward.

Offline PhiddlePhartz

« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2008, 03:01:39 AM »
Well, I'm happy  ;D to report that my Incredibow arrived today.  My housemate carried it in from the front gate while I was cooking dinner so I haven't had a chance to play it yet.  I did take a couple of pics while dinner was on the barbie and thought I'd post them.  This is a tradititional weight in the Emerald green.  Very pretty out in the sun.  With my probably inaccurate dangly little postal scale thingy it weighs pretty much the same as my Glasser braided -- about 60 grams.  All in all the order took a few days over a month to recieve.  My thanks, and best wishes, to everyone at Serenity Mountain.  This bow feels pretty darn nice in the hand so far.  :) ;) :)

Oh well, dinner's finished, I gotta get this thing rosined up and play!!   ;D

Offline highlandsun

« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2008, 04:48:56 AM »
That sure looks nice. I decided to just get the polished graphite, I didn't want something so bright and flashy. Heidi said they figure about 2 weeks to get the bow done. I also ordered some IncrediHair, which she says will be shipped out tomorrow.

Offline mandopickr

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 Sixth year Anniversary Level 3
« Reply #26 on: Apr 01, 2008, 05:53:05 AM »
Phiddlephartz,
I hope you're planning to do a comparison between the Glasser and the IB. Please include which rosin as well.
I've been trying to find an excuse to buy an IB, and have always wondered about the sound quality as compared to one of my bows.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #27 on: Apr 01, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »
@mandopickr: welcome! kindly consider stopping by the intro section and giving these guys a chance to abuse you further ;) say hey, good to see you here.

Far as I can tell, the only real way to judge sound quality of a bow is with it riding between the particular instrument and individual bow arm in question. There are a million excuses to buy an Incredibow. One of my favorites is handing it to a violinist, better still a violin teacher, and watching them try to adjust the tension. :D

Of course the good reason one may proclaim publicly is that it's rugged, weatherproof, bla bla bla...

If your style uses a lot of bouncy bow stuff, you may find the IB takes some getting used to. From my limited base of experience, can't say whether that's a real deal-stopper or not.

(None of this should be construed as a deterrent to pfiddlePhartz from posting such a comparison, of course. Curious eyes await... :) )
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline highlandsun

« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2008, 08:45:07 PM »
My IncrediHair arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, the shop I want to use isn't open on weekends, and I'm flying out of town on Monday so I can't get work started on my bows till I get back on Thursday. (And I have Thursday and Friday gigs. Sheesh.) By the time I get my Coda bow rehaired, my Incredibow will probably be done...

Offline PhiddlePhartz

« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:38:37 AM »
(None of this should be construed as a deterrent to pfiddlePhartz from posting such a comparison, of course. Curious eyes await... :) )

Gee thanks, beaSwing . . . I knew there was a reason Johnny Carson kept Ed McMahon around all those years.  ;D

Nevertheless I've had a chance to play the Incredibow and believe I am ready to update the internet forum universe on my HO of it.   ::)

I do like the feel of the bow.  My first couple of strokes brought forth a bit of a bounce - as in hair on string, stick bouncing - but this was easily quelled with a bit of focus on smoothness.  This slightly post-beginner doesn't have any particularly bouncy techniques in everyday use so going smooth is a good thing.  I was practicing shuffle bowing (as seen in Mister Jim's video) and it handled it just fine.  The bow is light and handles well.  Very usable.

Now, do I like it as much as my Glasser Braided?  No.  I don't think it sounds quite as good.  It's subtle, but the GB has a fuller more complex tone (if that's possible with my little student model fiddle) than does the IB.  The IB puts out similar volume but has a, sort of, compressed quality to the sound.  Not bad.  It's balanced throughout the full range, with plenty of sound, just not as rich.

I like the snazzy, flashy Green look of it and it is fun to play.  It will be a most adequate backup bow for when I need new hair or for those times when I must play in the pool.  :P

Offline mandopickr

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 Sixth year Anniversary Level 3
« Reply #30 on: Apr 09, 2008, 04:58:51 AM »
Thanks for the review. Its starting to sound like one can never have too many bows.

Offline highlandsun

« Reply #31 on: Apr 11, 2008, 08:17:36 AM »
I picked up my Coda bow today, rehaired with Incredihair. I spent about two hours playing with it in the park, sitting under a tree, in the sunlight. In seems to me that this hair is pretty stretchy. I had to keep tightening up every 10-20 minutes.

Overall it feels ok but it's definitely looser than I like. I rosined it up with Jade rosin, same as I've been using before. It had pretty good grab but I think it needs more rosin still. Again, after about a half hour of playing it was starting to skate on the E string so I had to rosin up some more.

A couple hours later I played a 2 hour gig with it. It held up fine then, but again, I had to keep tightening up thru the course of the gig, and by the end of the gig I had reached the end of the threads on the screw. I guess I can take it back to VitaDolce and see if they can tighten it up a bit. If it's like this all the time, I'm a bit skeptical about how I'm going to like the Incredibow itself. We'll see....

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #32 on: Apr 12, 2008, 02:19:23 AM »
I don't think there is anything to worry about. When Ed's passing, and Carolyn's illness things have slowed down, and the bows are so popular there's bound to be a bit of backlog.

One thing I asked about a month or so ago.... they are no longer making or selling the micromic.

Too bad.
sheryl

Offline YoMaNaTiOn

Sixth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
They seem hard to play just by looking at them! Could be good in practice though..

Offline olduckhunter

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #34 on: Apr 25, 2008, 01:51:55 AM »
this is my first post in a long time.  i live about 55 miles from where the incredibow is made.  i bought one from mr. ed himself at a fiddle contest in mt. view.  my incredibow is now about 4 years old and i've never broken one "hair" on it.  i'm not a good fiddler but i don't think the sound from it is quite as good as from a good wood bow but it's a lot easier to just pick up the incredibow and go. instead of picking up a wood bow and tightening it up and then go.  i've thought about getting one of the newer ib's that are shaped more like a regular bow. i guess that they are harder to get now. 

old

Offline Nick2

• Ape of scrape

« Reply #35 on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
I'm still using mine as my main bow after 4 months. Every now and then I pick up one of my regular bows and get that comfortable homely feeling of the "normal" shape, but then I fall out with them again as soon as I play something fast and remember how light and deft the IB is.
Strangely, though , those very fast fidgety bowed triplets seem to work best with my heaviest bow. Wierd.
Now ear this!

Offline highlandsun

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »
Ok,, it's been about a month with my rehair. The hair is definitely too loose, even after cranking my Coda bow as far as the screw will go the hair is too slack - there's only about 1/4" gap to the bowstick. I guess I need to take it back to the shop and see if they can tighten it up a bit.

I can't imagine how a permanently-tensioned Incredibow would hold up. I have a feeling that must be why they curve it the other way around, because the hair itself is so stretchy you need to build the stick further away from the hair. With the way things are now, playing loud is pretty much impossible. When you try to dig in to get more sound, the stick is just riding on the strings, which just dampens them.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2008, 01:37:05 PM »
Just a guess here, but was this this your rehairer's first exposure to Incredihair? Horse hair gets wet during the process, and they may be used to giving it a little extra slack to compensate for the shrinkage as it dries.

I guess the good news is that it's not too tight. I imagine it's tougher to loosen the ribbon once it's been tied and trimmed and plugged in.
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline Don Stackhouse

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 12:40:24 AM »
I've tried wetting regular horsehair for combing out during a rehair, but I've found I actually have an easier time, with better, more consistent end results, doing it with the hair left dry.

Offline dlight

• Total Badges: 12
    Level 3 Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »
Just replaced my usual horsehair "beginner's" bow with an Incredibow yesterday afternoon. I absolutely love it; terrific value for the money. Given the price of food and gas these days, that's critical! Too bad that both Ed and Carolyn have passed on this year; all the best to Heidi as she makes every effort to carry on with this wonderful product!

Offline buddhu

Search Linux User Level 4
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 11:19:52 PM »
Ordered an Incredibow today from a UK stockist.

Offline highlandsun

« Reply #41 on: Jun 10, 2008, 12:49:32 AM »
My Incredibow arrived today. I think I ordered the standard weight, but it's much lighter than my Coda bow. And yes, it is incredibly responsive; I'm playing crisp clean bow triplets now with barely even a twitch of my wrist, the difference in effort is night and day. I'm a bit concerned that the effect will wear off over time (i.e., I've been so used to playing a heavier bow that right now I'm just overpowering the lighter bow. But once I get used to the lighter bow, it will all normalize over time. No?)

By the way, more kudos to Heidi for the packing too - the bow arrived in a stout length of PVC pipe, nicely padded. Wrapped in an elegant cloth, very classy.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal