Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: what type of shoulder rest do you use?  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Mia

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
what type of shoulder rest do you use?
« on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:31:03 PM »
i'm still loving my pick up the world pick up (thanks to all of you!) but now i'm having a problem where it seems to pick up the sound of my kun shoulder rest.

it's this semi-awful, creaking sound that occurs everytime i press the the chinrest harder with my chin.  anyone have any new recommendations in terms of a non-creaky shoulder rest? i've used the kun shoulder rest since i started playing at the age of 8, so i'm really not too familiar with any other brands.  :-\

Offline Bob

• Total Badges: 24
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
Re:what type of shoulder rest do you use?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:44:52 PM »
i'm still loving my pick up the world pick up (thanks to all of you!) but now i'm having a problem where it seems to pick up the sound of my kun shoulder rest.

it's this semi-awful, creaking sound that occurs everytime i press the the chinrest harder with my chin.  anyone have any new recommendations in terms of a non-creaky shoulder rest? i've used the kun shoulder rest since i started playing at the age of 8, so i'm really not too familiar with any other brands.  :-\

This is a problem with PVDF based pickups - they have a near flat response from below 1Hz to several MHz - and thus they can pick up everything. The usual solution is to provide bass roll-off in the preamp - and I would think that this is what PUTW have done. From memory however you just got the pickup and used a ProEQII? You may be able to use the EQ on this - but you're more likely to get a good solution with the proper preamp. To make sure I would contact PUTW and tell them what you've told us, ask about the bass roll-off, and see what they say.

Offline Graham Clark

• Total Badges: 27
    Apple User Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:45:58 PM »
well!

First,  DON'T PRESS! You should just have your head relaxed onto the chinrest, leaning onto it rather than pressing into it. Yes, RESTing there Your head is much heavier than that little wooden box, and will hold it pretty well without pressure...

...but also, find exactly where the creak is coming from, and apply oil?

I use the Wolf Forte secundo, but we all have different needs.

graham

Offline Mia

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:59:05 PM »
hmmm graham, now that i think about it, it may be creaking because the shoulder rest isn't high enough and also, not very secure - maybe this is why i'm pressing? (because i don't remember having this problem at all in the past! either that, or after the 3-year break from violin,  my technique has gone all funny on me?) also, it falls off ALL THE TIME, which is particularly troublesome when i perform.

i'm thinking of just changing shoulder rest brands all together, since i seem to remember the kuns always breaking on me in the past.

Offline Alan Kroeger

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Global Grinch

• Total Badges: 32
    Windows User Level 6 Invisible
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2003, 06:00:27 PM »
Ironic the very qualities that make this configuration desirable are what make it difficult to deal with, try the EQ suggestion and cut that low level noise out.
Later
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra editing and avatar privileges.

Offline rcc

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2003, 05:49:29 AM »
For what it's worth ...

I'm currently using a Mach One.  I tried a bunch of different ones, wound up with a Bon Musica because I coudn't find anything else that would fit right, then became a bit unhappy with the Bon Musica because the fit was so precise that if I put on more clothing (like a heavy sweatshirt), it threw things off.  Then I adjusted my playing position/mechanics again and rather than adjust the Bon Musica yet *again*, I tried the Mach One and it felt great and put the violin right where I wanted it.

The wood Mach One won't creak.  I suspect the plastic one won't either.  However the Mach One either will fit your violin or it won't and it turns out that the wooden version is a bit wider than the plastic one so one may fit your violin and the other may not.

Good luck...

- Ray

Offline Nox

Re: what type of shoulder rest do you use?
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2004, 05:18:32 PM »
I didn't want to start yet another thread on shoulder rests or pads...but I got a 'Shoulder Pet' early this week and I think it's the answer for me!  It certainly seems to have solved my problems with the viola...and although I don't need it with the violin, I'm experimenting and finding it comfortable as well...

...definately a worthwhile product!...

http://www.shoulderpet.com/about.htm

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2004, 07:23:41 PM »
NOX: how does one of these things actually help you?  It appears from the pics on the site that it works in tandem with your existing shoulder rest, not replacing it.

I've been lately playing a lot without a shoulder rest.  What's to become of me?

Offline Nox

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2004, 08:54:58 PM »
There are several pictures on the site...at least one shows a violist playing without a rest, and just the pad...it's intended for use either with or without the rest...

...it basically provides for comfortable positioning of your instrument (my viola pushes into my collar bone and bruises...) since it contains a movable filler - which you can adjust - (albeit a tad awkwardly - but not to the point it's irritating - to me at least) - or not...depending on your own preference...

...it's made from sueade (spelling?)...so very comfortable and doesn't slip (unless you bend over of course)...I found it holds it's position quite well...

...in the end...it's just a pad...functions the same as foam or a pillow...only better I think... ;D

Offline dalebygod

• Worlds Greatest Friend To All
  • Fiddle Hell Organiser
  • Hush! I'm thinking about georgie.
    • old'n in the way

• Total Badges: 26
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2004, 01:29:35 AM »
I'd want to try one for awhile before buying one. I have a 'old one' now and as steve P and the others will tell you, it's a piece of ? Might be time for a new one. This one is only about 30 yrs old. Can you believe it? And i bought it in good faith too.  It lasted longer than my ex!
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2004, 01:36:58 AM by dalebygod »
got a minute? check this out!
www.fiddlehell.com

Offline Nox

« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2004, 04:06:03 PM »
...er, how do you try one without buying one? (Have I been missing something all these years?  ;))...

Offline Richard Martin

• Total Badges: 27
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2004, 04:36:44 PM »
I have a kun bravo shoulder rest (well 2 actualy one for each accoustic) and a wolf secondo which goes on the electric - cant recommend the kun bravo highly enough. Only thing is with the bridge electric not having any seams for the kun to grip cant use it on that else I would have 3 of them.

As for trying one without buying them - Anthony Nickolds Violins here always offers a trial on pretty much everything he sells  - only rosin, pegs and tonewoods arent offered that way (grin) burt instruements, bows, shoulder rests, chin rests and so on...

Offline Jack002

Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2004, 05:10:27 PM »

I use a KUN

I figure if you can't hold it up and its moving about, then give it a rest! ;)

Offline Nox

« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2004, 05:44:44 PM »
...well, I knew you could try violins and bows...but this shoulder pad is made by a woman at home...cottage industry...not a larger company...

...it wouldn't have occurred to me to ask to try one...esp. since it's not an expensive item (relatively speaking that is)...

...Jack?  Very punny...;)

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2004, 06:02:27 PM »
Being the worst breed of musicians (irish trad) for accessory manufacturers, I play with neither shoulder nor chin rest, and have found that it makes a significant improvement to the sound of my fiddles. When playing both accoustic in sessions and with my fantastic audio-technica pick-up in gigs, all my instruments sound much fuller, brighter and snappy on rolls, snaps and cuts... it's always worth trying!  ;D

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal