Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: fullerton closeout sale  (Read 6533 times)

Offline chaoscat

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
fullerton closeout sale
« on: Apr 13, 2007, 01:27:07 AM »
I just wanted to let everyone know about something I just recently found out about myself, before everything is gone. I was doing research on mandolins and found a bunch of people on mandolincafe.com raving about the Fullerton mandolins, especially the Gloucester model. It's an F style mandolin you can currently buy at music123.com for $180(with free shipping). (you typically can't touch F styles for less than $500) I ended up buying a Kentucky from a local store, but that's another story (and I already posted about that one)

Anyway, through this thread, people kept saying wonderful things about Fullerton guitars that they were buying as well, for $100 - you heard right folks $100. I thought pshaw, no way, gotta be a bunch of chinese junk. But, I kept seeing more and more people who bought them, and loved them.

So,my son's been talking about getting a left handed guitar. He's left handed, but always played my "normal" handed guitars over the years. So, I talked him into buying one. He bought a Fullerton Parkdale acoustic/electronic left handed guitar and he paid $90 with free shipping I just couldn't stand it if I found  out later I really missed out, so I bought the Fullerton Auditorium Pro guitar for $180 with free shipping.

His guitar came today and my jaw is on the ground. This thing is beautiful. No nicks, dings, defects, bad joints, excess glue, etc. The finish is lovely and it has a very nice sound to it. It has a solid spruce top and Mahogany back n sides. The electronics even work. It's hard to say anything about the action, as I just can't play that wrong handed thing. But, my Auditorium ought to be here by Saturday and we will see what's what then.

Here's the deal, as I understand it. Music123.com has been bought out by the Guitar Store. The Fullerton's were their "made in China" House brand. They are being liquidated, everything Fullerton is going and going dirt cheap.  I've already kicked myself for missing the 12 strings, they apparently sold out first.

So, if you're looking for a decent, very cheap guitar or mandolin, or a very nice gift, you might want to give these a look. Go to mandolincafe.com or ezfolk.com and search Fullerton if you want to see what people are saying about them.

Advertise Here

Offline chaoscat

Re: fullerton closeout sale
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »
OK, the Pro Auditorium came yesterday. Visually, it's very clean. The only defect I could find is a slight discoloration where the neck meets the body - and this is reaching to say the least. This is a very compact guitar. I was really expecting something larger, I mean they call it the Auditorium? Out of the box, it was pretty much a box o' bees. It had an unplayable fret buzz on the low E. The action was set very low. I pulled off the junk strings that came with it, put on some DR's, shimmed up the saddle and went back at it. The setup still needs work, but at least now I can play it. I've never owned a guitar this small, but this one just nestles down in my lap under my arm like my springer spaniel. It plays like a little dream. My fingers just seem to fly over the thing. I had a hard time putting it down last night. The sound is nothing to write home about. It's a nice sound, just somewhat muted to my ear. As someone whose  used to banging bigger boxes, this just seems very quiet. But, it's loud enough for me to play and hear in a quiet room, and if I really want/need more noise I can always add a pickup. I would have to say that while this is not a "wonderful" instrument, it is definitely a nice one. I'm already getting attached to it and would have a hard time giving it up. I can only vouch for the 2 Fullerton's that we got, but I have to say it's probably a good thing I didn't find out about this sale earlier, before they'd sold out of some of them. My wife already says I suffer from TDMG syndrome ( too d*** many guitars) I've already tried to snag one of the 12 strings off ebay. lol

Offline fiddleandstrum

• Total Badges: 27
    Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2007, 10:32:10 AM »
Wasn't it Ralph McTell that once said....  "If a man knows how many guitars he's got, he hasn't got enough"  :)

Offline ApK

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 02:49:13 AM »
I grabbed one of the $49 Nottingham mandolins.  I'm very pleased.  A distinct improvement over my $29 Rogue, which I've passed on to my brother-in-law.
I am already overloaded on cheap guitars, so I didn't spring for one of those...gotta save for my Martin.

Offline chaoscat

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:05:23 PM »
Congrats on the new aquisition. The mandolins seem to be pretty much wiped out now. They only thing I see left is the Pennington F style. You can pick that up for $90 now. The Gloucester model that everyone was raving about are all gone. I struggled with that decision, but I just bought a new Kentucky KM 172 (which I love), so couldn't justify the purchase.

Have you tried some of the Breedlove guitars Mo has? I played one a month or so back and was impressed with it.

Offline ApK

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 06:34:44 PM »
I think it was the Blueridges that I tried at Mo's but can't really recall.  So far, nothing I've tried has disuaded me from the Martin of my dreams.  The HD-28 is what is on my lottery wish list, but even the DX-1 has that Martin low-end that I just really like over anything else I've tried.  What I REALLY need to do is practice fiddle more!  When are we going to get together for a jam?
Oh speaking of jamming and multiple instruments, just in case you or anyone else is in the area, you might want to keep an eye on this thread over on the AGM forum:
http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=005978

ApK

Offline chaoscat

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 05:02:41 PM »
Hey ApK, I shot you a PM. Just thought I'd let you know, because I never think to look over there myself. lol

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal