Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Bam Hi-Tech  (Read 2307 times)

Offline impromptuandy

• Total Badges: 16
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 4 Seventh year Anniversary Level 3
Bam Hi-Tech
« on: Dec 01, 2006, 12:39:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a a hi-tech BAM case?

I'm tempted by the contoured model and wondered if anyone who has one can list all the bad points.

Also, has anyone seen a BAM Cabin case for taking onto planes - apparently they're smaller than the official carry-on guidelines (leaving out the bow). I do a lot of flying so might be an investment. I know a few people who haven't been allowed to carry string instruments on (all from Stansted, London)

Thanks

Offline fiddly diddly

• Total Badges: 29
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Mobile User
Re: Bam Hi-Tech
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2006, 06:18:51 PM »
I have the bam artisto and its a brill case  :laugh:

Offline silverback2

• Total Badges: 17
    Level 4 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:56:26 PM »
My teacher has a Bam case (that allows for a bow(s)) and loves it.  Super light and strong and he caries it on the plane.  I haven't had any problems with a standard sized no-name case on four flights (United, Delta, Korean Air). 

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:15:11 PM »
Nor have I in frequent flights up and down the US west coast on several different airlines, and last Summer on Air Canada to Nova Scotia, but I suspect the issues with flying out of London may be different; I know that last Summer after the terror scare many musicans weren't allowed to carry on instruments flying in and out of Heathrow, specifically.

I wonder if even if you fly with a case that fits the carry-on dimensions, you're totally safe from the whims of the gate staff and TSA (or its British equivalent).  My strategy has been to travel with a good suspension case which would hopefully cushion the instrument from "normal" banging around if I ever had to gate-check it (thankfully I've never had to test this), but also take out a rider on my home insurance that covers the violin, bows and case for full replacement value, just in case!   But I'd also be interested in any opinions on the BAM--Is that the BAM Trekking? http://www.bamcases.com/string_instrument_cases/violin_cases/index.php?l=en&p=7-Steve

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:01:26 AM »
By the way, a poster on another violin site I frequent pointed out that there's probably NO case that fits all airline's carry-on restrictions and thus ensures you'll always be able to carry on your fiddle!

Here's a link that gives carry-on policies for many US airlines as of mid-2004:  http://www.thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/airlinecarryonluggageallowances.htm (not international, but I'm assuming they'll be similar).  A full-sized violin is 23-1/2" so you probably need about 25" length minimum.  Note that there are only a couple airlines on the list that allow this length; most allow only around 22".  BUT airlines generally make exceptions for musical instruments. [I was a little worried about the last flight I took to Los Angeles, which was on a small jet--a Bombardier I think.  Staff were asking people with any bags that couldn't fit under their seat to check them at the gate.  I ignored that and took my fiddle onboard and it turned out that the issue was that the overhead bins were just very narrow--not a problem for my fiddle case, and since so many people had to check their big "carry-on" suitcases, there was plenty of room for the fiddle even though the flight was full!]

Offline impromptuandy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2006, 01:04:29 PM »
http://www.finecases.com/browse/bam/bam-3191.html

They are considerably smaller than a normal case.

I've had problems with ryanair and easyjet - both budget airlines in the UK - but always managed to talk my way on, but after the bomb scare many musicians were stranded and had to ship their instruments by sea/land.

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:30:28 PM »
Nice!  Looks like it would provide a fair amount of protection even if you had to gate-check the fiddle!  Thanks for the link; I didn't find that on BAM's own site.

Offline impromptuandy

« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2006, 09:33:26 AM »
No, Bam seem to be a bit lax, they haven't added the viola contoured case that came out about 2 years ago.

I think the idea is you pack a bow in a bow case in your luggage. It makes sense that a bow is less likely to be affected by the temperature differences in the hold.

Offline chifiddler

• Total Badges: 24
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2006, 06:56:08 PM »
I have the standard silver BAM case and the double violin BAM case and they are great for traveling. The silver case has backpack straps, so it is good for those long airport walks and the double case still fits in the overhead.

I have flown all over the States since 9/11/01 and have never had to check my fiddles, so don't worry about that! I generally take the instrument(s) and another smaller bag that fits under the seat in front of me so I don't take up too much overhead space anyway!!  :)

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal