Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Official Rosin Topic  (Read 7726 times)

Offline violin_kid

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
Official Rosin Topic
« on: Nov 19, 2006, 10:12:40 AM »
Hi, I couldn't find a topic where rosins were explained real well so i decided to make this one.
Tell me your favourite rosin and why you like it. I will update this thread with all the brands and a description of them shortly.

Rhys
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2006, 01:57:52 PM by madfiddler »

Offline sandoval

Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
Re: Official Rosin Topic
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2006, 03:58:57 AM »
I like motrya gold becalse of the big, clear, smooth and focused tone.  The only rosin I know of that comes close is tartini solo. 

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2006, 05:01:37 PM »
Knilling dark.  I like it because it came free with my fiddle and is sticky.

Clarity hypoallergenic.  Clear.  Don't like it because it does not grip very well.  LIke it because it doesn't make me sneeze.  Probably give it away at some point.

Offline fiddleandstrum

• Total Badges: 27
    Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2006, 08:40:10 PM »
Tartini Solo - got it because it was recommended with the Incredibow - now use it on my Coda aswell - seems to work for me,.

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2006, 11:47:25 PM »
I'm using the "old" Tartini Silkier Solo.  Nice smooth rosin, not too grabby and seems to work really well in all seasons here.  Very nice for the sort of music I play; classically-influenced Scottish fiddle.

Offline frodopogo

Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2006, 04:13:41 AM »
Hill Dark is my current favorite,
as it was back in the '70s when I got started.
I find it is somehow grabby and smooth at the same time.
Grabby as far as producing lots of tone,
smooth as far as the feel for my bowing arm.
I liked the Knilling light that came with my fiddle pretty well,
but it came into contact with the plastic cover of my Knilling pitchpipe,
and got softened by some reaction with it, and has not been the same since.
I sometimes roughen up the surface of a rosin block with an emery board,
and that seems to help.
I bought a block of Sherman's, but I'm not liking it as well as the Hill.

Michael

Offline Emg

• Total Badges: 18
    Seventh year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2006, 12:24:08 PM »
I have NO idea what rosin I'm using.   I just bought a new cake of some medium colored stuff that at first I was impressed with how well it seemed to grip the strings...but as I was playing I noticed the bow starting to slip.  I'm thinking it's finicky stuff that perhaps does better with less rather than more...  dunno !

I'm new to all of this so I havn't yet learned the pluses or minuses of rosins and their many different varieties.  Not to mention, I think my bow needs a rehair.  It's an old sartory and I'm a little hesitant to bring it just anywhere...I wouldn't want it to "disappear" on me...

I'll be interested to read all your posts and start learning about rosins.  I'm at a point in my playing where I can start focusing on stuff like that instead of just worrying about where my fingers and arms are and proper bowing and all....lol.....dang !...that all too elusive vibrato !!!    :D

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2006, 02:56:25 PM »
Fiddler's Green Rosin - 1/4 the price of Tartini (old or new), just as grippy.  I used G. Bernadel for 13 years, Tartini for 4 and switched to FGR two years ago.  It works equally well on my CG fiddler's bow as my 300 year old pernambuco bow.  Great for classical, bluegrass and Celtic playing.

Offline bwzuk

• Total Badges: 31
    Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »
I had real trouble with Tartini rosin. I don't know if I had a bad batch or not but I never really got a great sound, and it was really easy to get the bow completely gunked up with the stuff. I tried it with all of my bows and wasn't happy with how it sounded on any of them. This doesn't seem to match with other people's experience so I guess I was just unlucky. I've now moved on to Hill's Dark, which takes much longer to rosin a bow with but seems much more consistent.

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2006, 11:27:56 PM »
I had real trouble with Tartini rosin. I don't know if I had a bad batch or not but I never really got a great sound, and it was really easy to get the bow completely gunked up with the stuff. I tried it with all of my bows and wasn't happy with how it sounded on any of them. This doesn't seem to match with other people's experience so I guess I was just unlucky. I've now moved on to Hill's Dark, which takes much longer to rosin a bow with but seems much more consistent.

Could you have been applying too much rosin?  Tartini does have a tendency to "gunk up" if you overdo it.  In my experience it works best when applied lightly, just a few strokes across the cake.  Also Tartini doesn't do well when applied on top of other rosin; I wonder if it could have been reacting badly with whatever you had on previously. 

Offline bwzuk

• Total Badges: 31
    Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:23:54 PM »
It wasn't down to mixing as I tried it on a new bow. The gunking may have been down to putting too much of the stuff on. I'm pretty careful when rosining up, particularly a new bow and I always take it slowly and try the bow regularly to make sure I don't over apply. The trouble was I never got a good tone with the stuff. I'd read much about this wonder rosin on the web, how people could rosin up a bow from scratch with a few swipes and how it would grab strings effortlessly. I never experienced this, infact it had a detrimental effect on my playing as I'd end up applying too much pressure on the bow just to get some sound out of the strings. Maybe there was just something with my playing style or maybe it was just a bad batch (as someone said on another thread, Rosin is a natural product and prone to variation). In the end though I really couldn't be bothered to analyse it futher so I just swapped to Hill for a hassle free rosin.

I may give Fiddlers Green a go though.

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows
  • God gave me a fiddle and told me to play...

• Total Badges: 29
    Search Eighth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2006, 11:55:13 PM »
I got a block of Paganini rosin when I first started.  I've been pretty happy with it, most of the time.  The green stuff is pretty good, but I actually like my Paganini block a little better. (sorry Adam!)  However they both seem to vary with the weather (very variable here in New England). 

Just recently I tried someone's dark rosin and liked it a lot, on a day when my own rosins weren't doing their job.  I may get a block of the dark stuff to use on days when these two won't working right. 
Five Strings are Better than Four!

Granite State Bows:  Worth The Weight!
Fresh Quarried Bows for Players Requiring Rock-Solid Performance
What We Lack in Flexibility We Make Up For in Strength

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2006, 04:01:29 PM »
huh my posts on this topic were all deleted.

I'll try again

I've been playing since I was 4 years old and I'm 44 now.  The first 20 years or so I didn't care much about my rosin or the bow hair.  Whatever old crusty chunk of sticky stuff I had in the case was fine as long as it made the bow stick.

The older you get the more you care about minute details.  I think I started caring about it when I was consulting for Stamell Stringed Instruments back in the early 90s.  Before that, I had been using Gustav Bernadel not because the rosin was particularly great (it's not), but because I liked the little blue sued pouch with the gold writing.  It kept the rosin dust out of my case and was soft in my hand.  Pretty silly, eh?  So while at Stamell, I started trying out the different rosins to see which I liked best on which bow and I came up with a formula that I use today:

Bows I use for Celtic music - Fiddler's Green (RDM)
Bows I use for Bluegrass - Tartini Solo (old formula - I think the new formula is not as good)
Bows I use for Classical - Tartini Symphony (old formula)

When I run out of Tartini (in the year 2020?), I will probably switch to Hill Dark unless something better comes along

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows

« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2006, 02:40:08 AM »
So I got myself my chunk of dark stuff -- Hill Dark.  Wow I really do like this stuff much better than anything else so far!  I think I'm a convert...

(Although... I don't like the little foam wrapper very much.  Thinking of pulling it off, & getting a different, nicer piece of cloth to stick to the back of it ;) ...

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2006, 07:04:35 PM »
So I got myself my chunk of dark stuff -- Hill Dark.  Wow I really do like this stuff much better than anything else so far!  I think I'm a convert...

(Although... I don't like the little foam wrapper very much.  Thinking of pulling it off, & getting a different, nicer piece of cloth to stick to the back of it ;) ...

The foam breaks down over time and turns into sticky goo!  When that happened to me, when I still had most of the cake left, I just replaced it by hot-gluing on a scrap of felt I had laying around.  Hill used to use felt for the wrapper but I suppose they switched to save a few pennies...

Offline museyroom

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 Seventh year Anniversary Level 3
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2006, 09:42:22 AM »
I've never been happy with my rosin (can't even remember what it is - something dark!) - it seems to be VERY sensitive the atmospheric conditions, so that some days the bow won't stick for love nor money.

On order is some Salchow dark - don't know if anyone's tried it?? Word on the street is it's a premium rosin chosen by professionals - which sounds a bit like marketing hype but never mind. Also might try Dominant rosin - any thoughts??

Offline quinnt01

• I can't be bothered to edit my profile...

Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2006, 01:35:33 AM »
All rosins are affected by temperature, and all but the Clarity series from Supersensitive are affected by humidity.  Rosin can absorb so much moisture from the air that it will foam when heated.

There is no such thing as better rosins, only differnet rosins, and what works for one musician may not work for another.  And you're right that there's a lot of marketing hype.  Rosins are hard to distinguish from one another so manufacturers go to great lengths to put them in various decorative boxes, add precious metal fillers, etc. to make them seem special.  You can't go by price either.  The price of neat rosin has about doubled over the last year to roughly 80 cents/lb so the cost of the rosin in a cake is very small.  The packaging and product positioning strategy determine the price.

Offline transport

• Total Badges: 24
    Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2006, 04:20:58 AM »
Thats my type of post Quinnt ^^

I worked for twenty years working in a test lab "objectively" testing stuff, and after a short stint at my job the first thing you learn't to ignore was the brand name LOL. These days its even more critical as there is so much "rebadging" goes on.

Anyway a short while ago I bought a Sojung EV outfit, just because I wanted to see what it was like and it went for a ridiculous price on Ebay LOL. Funny thing is The standard little plastic container type rosin I got in the outfit really works well for me, I have tried many rosins and none have impressed me so far like the rosin I got with that EV. Its not branded at all so I doubt I could by it on its own.

I think in the end it comes down to rosins suit the occasion .... violin/bow/player/playing style/weather etc. But biggest thing in that little chain is me ie. I will probably get tired of the sound/feel etc. of that rosin in a few months time and use another predominantly. But hey that may be the weather influencing the selection more too.

Another funny note on the marketing thing .... Looking at the bottom of my Sojung violin is a sticker.....

I know its not the world's best violin, and the consumer's perception seems to indicate that, but hey manufacturer's should have more confidence in their product than that!! LOL I could well have paid the price I paid for the whole outfit, just for the rosin! ... if it was packaged differently!!!

Offline biovioz

Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2006, 06:31:17 AM »
im still in search of a rosin i like, i mite go for the Hill Dark next sinse iv heard nice stuff of it, but the rosin im using now:

Pirastro Evah Oliv

dark rosin, ment to be sticker, i dunno, this rosin is like.....ARR, ever sinse i used it (i bought it to match with my evah strings) it has jsut poisened my bow, im gettin a new one beause my bow can like no longer make a nice sound, its all scratchy and loves to produce eww sounds, but then my bow is old so i dunno which its the culprit, but i havent had a nice experience with em.

before the pirastro i used OTTO gold rosin, i cant really remember my impressions on it but i guess it made an alright tone, pretty clear and smooth.

Offline Joyful noise

Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2006, 08:28:16 AM »
Pirastro olive....just lovely stuff   :)
...and I can use if on my baroque bow and violin too which is great! Best all rounder I have ever used. Hubbie uses the cello version on his bass viol too.

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows

« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2006, 07:26:37 AM »
The foam breaks down over time and turns into sticky goo!  When that happened to me, when I still had most of the cake left, I just replaced it by hot-gluing on a scrap of felt I had laying around.  Hill used to use felt for the wrapper but I suppose they switched to save a few pennies...

Thank you for the suggestion!  I pulled off the foam and replaced it with a nice piece of flannel.  I took the little elastic from the foam and attached that too.  Much nicer looking!

But... now I'm not quite happy with any rosin now.  :/  I think there's a weather-change thing going on.  The Hill Dark is getting a rather scratchy sound I don't like a whole lot.  On the other hand, I like it's grabby-ness.  I tried to change back to my previous rosin, and it didn't seem to have enough hold.  I can play faster with the dark stuff. 

Well not sure just what I want to do rosin-wise right now.  I suspect that eventually I may settle on some combination of different rosins at different seasons.  (We do have significant weather variations here in New England!)

Offline rcc

Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2007, 01:58:06 AM »
Tartini Symphony.

I was using the Liebenzeller Gold III but the Tartini worked better (fewer E string squeaks).

It grips very nicely without being too grippy.

I apply the Tartini *very* sparingly.  A few slow swipes every now and then.  At a fiddle camp, I may use it once a day, twice if I'm feeling anxious.  Otherwise, once every 1/2 a dozen practice sessions or so.

Note that the Tartini does ok mixed with Liebenzeller Gold III.

- Ray

Offline Matt1898

• Total Badges: 23
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:21:40 AM »
Tartini Silkier Solo. Love the stuff. Seems to work well with the helicors and my old french fiddle. Real smooth, real mellow tone. Really like it for more "contest"' style playing.

Offline foose4string

• 5 spangled dude

• Total Badges: 27
    Mobile User Search Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »
Hill dark works.  Been using for it years.  Good rosin for the price.

Offline biovioz

Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2007, 03:50:55 AM »
been using the pirasto goldflex.

a nice big sound but not much stick..and i think the big sound dies like.......20 mins after it is applied.....maybe my bow is still a little new but so far its ok.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal