Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: folkjam.org - the international jam session sharing community  (Read 5384 times)

Offline folkjamfiddler

• Total Badges: 17
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
http://www.folkjam.org started in September of 2006 with an entirely new approach to sharing the details of area jam sessions on the web.  Rather than making you sift through posts from Scotland, Germany and New York to find a jam in San Diego CA, folkjam does the sifting for you.  You tell folkjam where you are, and folkjam does a geographic search in your area for jam sessions.  It shows you the jams on an interactive map, as well as in calendars and lists arranged by musical style and instruments.  We do our best to make it quick and easy to see how far away jams are and to find out when they are happening.

While a large number of posts on the site have come from the United States, that is simply because the US is where most of our early contributors came from.  Sign up today and contribute your favorite jam session, festival or acoustic music workshop/camp.

I will apologize to our UK users as one feature is missing for you.  Google's map API does not allow us to geocode (that is map addresses to a latitude/longitude) in the UK.  We are working to bring on other sources of data to make jam submission and searching smoother in the UK.  You can pick your location off of a map (http://www.folkjam.org/your/location?use_lat_lon_map=true) instead of typing in a postcode or town name.

Swing by and check us out.

Scott McLewin
Chief Fiddling Officer
www.folkjam.org
]www.folkjam.org[/url]

Offline fiddlinglassblower

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
Re: folkjam.org - the international jam session sharing community
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
Sounds like a great idea.  I couldn't get the site to come up though, for some reason.   ???

Offline Katandthefiddle

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »
Our area is big on jams. ilisted our monthly open mic and have already had a call about it.  Great resource!

Kathy :)

Offline fiddlinglassblower

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:16:14 PM »
OK, restarted computer (it was running a bit slow), and the site came up now.  Looks great.  Nice resource.  I know of several off the bat in my area that could be added. 

Offline folkjamfiddler

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:07:32 PM »
To fiddlinglassblower: the problem was us between your two visits, not your computer.  We were attacked hard last night (as we sites often are) and this time didn't make it through without our service going off-line.  I wrote a bit more on it here: http://www.folkjam.org/node/2547.  We came back on line at 9:45am US Central time, which is GMT-6, about 20 minutes after your first post of not being able to see the site.

Kathy: I love to hear that you have a new musician in your open mic on account of folkjam.org.  That makes my day each time I hear it.  And I'm hearing it more frequently now.  I love it.
]www.folkjam.org[/url]

Offline woodwiz

Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2006, 01:14:02 AM »
I think you had a great idea, and have done an outstanding job of executing the idea.  I think most of the jams in Kansas City were on your site within about six weeks of your being on line.  The web site works great.

Congratualtions, and thanks!

Offline folkjamfiddler

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:35:59 AM »
Thanks woodwiz, I appreciate that.  Shawn and I both appreciate the feedback.  The response to this site we've been laboring on for roughly a year now on evenings and weekends has just been so rewarding.  It nearly makes it ok to have skipped so many hours of practice on fiddle tunes.

If you see my mug at HABOT, the Sunday Lawrence fiddle and pot-luck or the Lizor jam introduce yourself.  My mug is here: http://www.folkjam.org/about.  I'll let you work out whether I'm the guy holding the guitar or the one holding the fiddle.  :)  I'm on baby-watch right now (wife and I are due with daughter #2 on Dec 29th) so I'm out of the jam circle for another month or two. 

We are now working on features to help people get jams organized in the first place, I hope those are also well received when we get them live on the site.

If any of you have suggestions for the site or see plain out problem please do report them to us in our support forum on folkjam.org (http://www.folkjam.org/forum/26).  It's just the two of us working on it and every little bit of help is appreciated.

Scott
]www.folkjam.org[/url]

Offline woodwiz

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2006, 01:38:35 PM »
Wel, no wonder the KC jams were al covered so quick!  And I was wondering how the literature ended up in the shop (I work at KC Strings.) 

Great job, nonetheless.  The web site is great - very well designed; the work was worth it.

I haven't been hitting too many jams the last few months due to time pressures, but that's got to change soon, before I melt down.  HABOT's one of my favorite venues.  I don't go to the Lawrence jams- the political atmosphere is not comfortable for me, although I've known Steve Mason for years, and Tricia Spencer is the only teacher I have ever gone to for lessons.

I can't get into the web site right now to look for your pic, but if you're a fiddler in KC, I probably know you by sight.  I'll be sure to say hello next time I run into you.  If you'd like, I can PM you my phone number and next time you're down near KC Strings I can give you a tour.  Or just stop by the store and ask for Michael in the shop.  I'm just finishing up work on the new conservatory, and it's looking great.  Six soundproof teaching rooms and a recital hall.

Offline folkjamfiddler

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:32:34 PM »
I dropped off the info cards.  I figure I found my community orchestra connection through KC Strings and others probably came in looking for folk music, so why not? 

I'll certainly look you up.  I'm due into KC Strings pretty much any day now.  I've had my eye on one of your violins for a while and I'm ready, I think, to take it home.  I'm also looking for a 1/32nd size for my two year old assuming Anton will agree to what I'm looking for on the trade-up value of the instrument as she moves up in sizes.  I thought you did 100% on all instruments that you make, not just the full size ones.

On the site, we have a mystery problem, which I'm not happy about.  Our hosting provider's admin is on it again today with stronger tools.  Something outside of our code is causing the server itself to spin out of control and lock up the site.  Because we are just two guys running the thing and not a company with a 24x7 operations staff we don't see problems when they happen in the wee hours of the night.  We may need to take it offline for a little while to rebulid the server, which again I'm not happy about.

This is why we are still 'beta'.  Working out the kinks...

Scott
]www.folkjam.org[/url]

Offline folkjamfiddler

« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:40:07 PM »
We are back.  We had a hardware failure last night that took out the motherboard and several other components of the server that runs folkjam.org.   It took our provider's admin most of the day to diagnose which parts were broken and to build a server out of working bits. 

My apologies to those of you who attempted to visit from the fiddleforum today. 

Scott
]www.folkjam.org[/url]

Offline woodwiz

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2006, 01:48:53 AM »
Sorry about the bugs, but the site is really great.  A few wobbles are to be expected.

I mentioned your site to a couple of the guys in the retail shop, and they know you.  Should have guessed you'd already be a customer, even though we have some pretty good competition in town.

Don't be shy about playing every violin in the shop until you find just "the one".  I was working there several months before I got into a conversation with Anton about just what I was ideally looking for.  He went to a cupboard and pulled out a half dozen violins that met my description, and I ended up picking up one that I am absolutely in love with.  I don't know what price range you are looking at, but if you want to PM me a day before you come down, I'll bring my fiddle for you to check out. 

I look forward to meeting you , either at the shop or at Habot.  Congratulations again on the great site!

Offline folkjamfiddler

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:43:16 PM »
Since I still see referrals to folkjam.org from this thread I thought I'd post an update.  The hardware issues we had in December have not come back and we've been running stable ever since.  We even had the blessing of a 12 fold increase in traffic for a week while the MandolinCafe had us as their lead story on the front page, sending thousands of mandolin players our way.  Overall our regular traffic levels have double in the last three months.

In December we had about 130 registered users and just shy of 200 contributions.  We presently have over 400 registered users (a bunch from the fiddleforum, thanks for joining us too!) and over 300 contributed jams, festivals and camps/workshops from nine countries.  Granted, in many countries there is exactly one post as the bulk of our listings are in North America, but it does demonstrate to us that it was worth making the site functional around the world.

We love the stories we get of new folks showing up at jams they have never been to and never knew about until somebody in their area shared the session on http://www.folkjam.org.  Any acoustic style is welcome.  I'm looking forward to somebody posting the details of an Indian or Middle Eastern session somewhere that I can get to.  Those are styles I'd like exposure to beyond my lightly used books and CDs.

I certainly am pleased every time I wander into a jam here in Kansas City and eventually meet somebody who is there because of the connection we facilitated - it was good meeting you on Saturday Michael.  I hope you become a regular at what is my favorite KC area session.

Scott
]www.folkjam.org[/url]

Offline folkjamfiddler

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2007, 03:03:50 AM »
Folks still visit from this thread, so I figured another update would be appropriate.

In the late spring we introduced groups (http://www.folkjam.org/groups) to the site to help you coordinate and/or organize jam sessions.  Groups show up on area maps along with other events, they contain group-member-only event listings and a file upload area for tunes.

Happy fiddling.

Scott
]www.folkjam.org[/url]

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal