Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Wine Glasses!?!  (Read 2589 times)

Offline pfiddlepat

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Wine Glasses!?!
« on: Jul 01, 2006, 12:32:52 AM »
I dont really know if this is the place to post this, but it's not a violin, viola, cello, or bass, but it is an instrument, so I guess it goes here.  My brother and i have been fooling around with wine glasses recently.  If you get your finger wet and rub it on the top edge of the glass, the sides will vibrate and it will give off a spookie whistling, flute-like tone, which you can sustain as long as you want to just by rubbing your finger.  Fun.  We found that you can fill them with various amounts of water to change the tone/note that it makes.  Fun.  So, after a trip to the store (for more wine glasses) and an hour or so with my tuner, we now have a full octave, from C up to a higher C.  Fun.  Has anybody else tried this?  We wrote a couple of cool little tunes which use the wine glass, and its lots of fun.  If anybody needs something to do, give it a try.  Lots of Fun.

Offline natnot

• Cupboard Dweller
  • Mini Bree!
    • Natnot's homepage

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
Re: Wine Glasses!?!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2006, 12:42:44 AM »
I went to see a performance by the Elysian Quartet a few weeks back, and in one piece (George Crumb's Black Angels), they actually played the wine glasses with their bows. They had different sized ones to produce different notes, no water though.

Your post has reignited my interest: I just realised that I have a couple of wine glasses in my room, so I decided to try bowing them. It really does work! I think I'll continue the experiment another time though, because it's late...

Offline caballus

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2006, 02:05:44 AM »
If you like that sound, your next project might be to build a theremin and learn to play it. I know I've always wanted to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2006, 02:21:03 AM »
Benjamin Franklin really took this to it's full fruition, and is credited with discovering it. In fact, he used to enjoy placing the glass under the table on his seat when at fancy dinners and make the sounds, while everyone wondered where it was coming from.

IIRC Mozart actually read about Franklin discovering this, and wrote a piece of music for tuned glasses, or music to accompany them. I can't remember the name of it, though I KNOW for a fact that it's NOT the piece he named: "Leck mich am Arsch recht fein schön sauber". ;D

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2006, 03:25:13 AM »
One must make sure when starting this to fill the glasses all completely full of wine and then drink them down to the desired level.  If you drink too much, just refill and start again. ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2006, 11:13:27 AM by awildman2384 »

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2006, 03:35:17 AM »
Your post has reignited my interest: I just realised that I have a couple of wine glasses in my room, so I decided to try bowing them. It really does work! I think I'll continue the experiment another time though, because it's late...
The "Jim Bow" hand bows that are used for playing the hammered dulcimer work really well and it is really an ethereal sound.
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2006, 03:39:11 AM »
If you like that sound, your next project might be to build a theremin and learn to play it. I know I've always wanted to.
I built a PAiA Theremax from one of their kits, and it is really a fun thing to have around the house... I put a small amplifier based on an LM380N power amp IC and a small car stereo speaker in the case. Piped through a little echo, it's a good thing for those Halloween sound effects.
http://www.paia.com/theremax.htm

John Simonton (the founder of PAiA Electronics) died late last year, I hope the people in charge can keep the company going... they have some interesting kits you would not find anywhere else...
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2006, 10:59:23 PM »
Here's a guy playing Fur Elise on wine glasses.  Pretty cool! 

Offline apollonike

Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2006, 08:24:03 PM »
One must make sure when starting this to fill the glasses all completely full of wine and then drink them down to the desired level.  If you drink too much, just refill and start again. ;)

Hehe.  Did that at a party once.  Also did it with beer bottles(blowing across them).

We built a full 88 key keyboard with beer bottles at a housewarming party.  Good times.

Offline feodosia

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2006, 02:15:19 AM »
Ive been playing the jug lately ...  s'pose I could fill that with some wine too    :D

Offline caballus

Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2006, 04:18:33 AM »
Ive been playing the jug lately ...  s'pose I could fill that with some wine too    :D

...or moonshine...

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal