Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Anyone use fractional size bow?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Elisha

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
Anyone use fractional size bow?
« on: Jun 30, 2006, 09:02:05 PM »
I can't remember where I heard that some fiddlers use a fractional size bow. I'm wondering if this is what I need. I'm not comfortable playing unless I hold my bow about a third of the way up the stick. Or maybe this has more to do with weight and/or balance. I'm sure a higher quality bow would probably be a lot easier to play with. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Elisha

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
Re: Anyone use fractional size bow?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2006, 09:14:33 PM »
My bow's verrrry slightly shorter than most full sized bows, but I think that's because it's a cheapo thing, as much as I love it. I think it's more to do with comfort and balance though, where you hold the bow. When I get my hands on a smaller bow I still hold it in the same place as I do my 'full' sized bow, because if I hold it 'properly' it's a) uncomfortable and b) limits some of my techniques. I find that having the bit of weight behind my hand, i.e. down to the frog, gives my trebles & triplets a bit more dig... you can probably see in my avatar where I hold my bow. And, as much as it makes some players cringe, it's a demon effective bow hold for me!

I guess it might just be like finding a bow normally though - maybe you could go along to a shop and try out some different sized bows?

Offline caballus

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
Re: Anyone use fractional size bow?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2006, 02:10:08 AM »
Maybe you just have a subconscious desire to play baroque style. :)

I have friends who do and they hold their bow further up. I like it as well, honestly.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal