Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Case that doesn't stand up  (Read 1866 times)

Offline martyn

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
Case that doesn't stand up
« on: May 29, 2006, 06:50:57 PM »
This really annoys me, every time I take my fiddle out of it's case the case falls over backwards. I have a large rectangular case and usually place it on a chair when I play my fiddle, that way the back of the chair supports the case and it stays upright. I decided it was because I had so much stuff in the external compartment on the lid. So I took all the sheet music out, put my tuner in the accessory space, put my pen and note pad in my briefcase, now the lid has no extra weight in it once the bows have been removed. It still falls over backwards  ???.  Anyone got any ideas, lead weight attached to the handle perhaps  :-\

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
Re: Case that doesn't stand up
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:04:43 PM »
Hey, mine does that, too!  I also thought it was because of all the music in the outside pocket.  Usually I practice near the kitchen table with my case on the corner of the table. I hook the carrying strap around the corner of the table to keep it from tipping over.

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:33:36 PM »
lead weight attached to the handle perhaps

... is a bit messy...you wanna get some 1/4" steel plates cut to fit, for extra weight, plus an under-the-case electromagnet and power supply just to be on the safe side (do of course cover the plates with velvet to prevent damage to the fiddle.... ;D

OK the serious bit now - I have both a standard and a rectangular case, and I've done this with the standard shape one. The case hinges are normally pretty flimsy and not designed to open 180 degrees. I've taken the
little restraining straps off the lid, and fitted heavier hinges that do turn through a wide angle - in other
words the case opens out fully and the lid almost touches the surface. Still needs to handled with care, but to me it's safer than having the case rolling over when you take the fiddle out. I would guess that the top qualty cases (whatever shape) would have better design on weight distribution.

Jim

Offline transport

• Total Badges: 24
    Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 07:36:08 AM »
Maybe its the placement of the little bumper feet thingies??

Offline Richard

• Senior Moderator
  • work 2 live, then play a violin for fun <><

• Total Badges: 31
    Level 6 Windows User Search
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 09:37:02 AM »
Mine does this too. It didnt used to, but I do have a lot of stuff in the top pocket that wasnt there before. Annoying sometimes but I just lean it against something.
Become a Forum Friend and get up to
60% in DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus extra for

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 06:19:36 PM »
Mine only does it when there is too much music in the back, and then I've only noticed it on a soft surface like the the bed.  It may be the placement of the feet or maybe you need to get more heavy stuff for the storage compartments?  :D

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 06:23:29 PM »
My case is THE worst case in the world. I'd had it a month before it started to fall apart. It opens right back so when you're trying to get fiddle out/put fiddle away in crowded pubs you inevitably knock over precious allocomohol. The feety things came off quickly enough, the bits that you attach the straps onto ripped off after a couple of months. Drives me mad, I'm trying desparately to find a shop that stocks Hiscox flight cases with the covers (I have no means for ordering online). Custy's in Ennis said they'd get me one in, but I'm leaving on Thursday morning so I've no time for heading up to them.

If you're considering a rectangular JTL fiddle case, don't do it. ::)

Offline Fairview Fiddler

• Total Badges: 24
    Nineth year Anniversary Quick Poster Windows User
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 10:19:13 PM »
Martyn, you need my revolutionary exterior case suspension system. This allows the case to be remotely operated to bounce up and down ala low-rider fashion and prevents those annoying tip-overs. I can convert your case for only $6,995. Think of all the girls you can impress with a jumping case. Comes with flashing lights & flame decals included.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal