Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Strings for hollow-body OE40?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Eric C.

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
Strings for hollow-body OE40?
« on: May 16, 2006, 08:08:33 PM »
Picked me up a Washburn OE40.    It shore is pretty.      I'm fairly sure the strings are rubbish.

Is there some specific knowledge I should know about hollow-body strings, or are they just plain ol' electric guitar strings?

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: Strings for hollow-body OE40?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 08:28:33 PM »
Picked me up a Washburn OE40.    It shore is pretty.      I'm fairly sure the strings are rubbish.

Is there some specific knowledge I should know about hollow-body strings, or are they just plain ol' electric guitar strings?
If you're going for a rockabilly/jazzy tone, plain ol' roundwound electric guitar strings are fine. The country guys go for flatwounds so they don't squeak when you slide. Bronze wound acoustic guitar strings put too much tension on the neck.

On archtops I find that heavier strings (.010+) sound better than the weenie strings you'd use on a solid body.
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline Eric C.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 02:29:55 AM »
"Tens"  (.010 ?) are pretty much the standard on solid bodies, correct?  ('Cuz I already got a set of those to slap on.)

I need to mess w/it anyway, as the action is really high right now and I think somehow the bridge is jammed.  I could take that opportunity to put on new strings-- the ones on it seem really heavy.  OTOH, I don't know what I'm doing anyway, except populating that empty corner of the living room.  Still, it wasn't that expensive and it sure is fun.

Offline ApK

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:20:45 PM »
I use .009s on my solid body electric.  They're called super lights or something, but I believe that's a pretty standard gauge to use.  Let me know how like the OE40 after you change the strings.  I'm considering one myself.

Offline Eric C.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »
Will do.  Maybe I'll slap these .010s on the OE40 and see how it goes--  OTOH, I'd hate to waste a set of strings..........

So far, I like the solid body when I'm standing up, and the OE40 when I'm sitting down.  >;^)

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal