Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Radical Movement for Rebetiko Dechiotification and Bouzouki Detetrachordization  (Read 2155 times)

Offline djangobole

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5

Offline woodwiz

• Total Badges: 24
    Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
I'm with them, all the way.  My introduction to trichordal Greek music was in the late 1960's, when I was 17 or  18.  I had flown from Kansas City to Athens (via San Francisco and Paris on an airline pass - a story in its own right) and the next day I bought an overnight ticket for deck passsage on a boat to Crete. I figured it would be nice and warm on the Mediterranean  on a summer night. WRONG! As it says in the song, "I shivered the whole night through." The Greeks all had sense enough to bring coats and blankets - all I had were summer clothes. 

About an hour into the trip, a man pulls out this three-stringed fiddle, puts it on his knee, and starts wailing away.  I later found out it's called a lyra.  I was just blown away by his playing.  Here I was, a dumb American kid, raised  on three-chord rock and roll, where Chuck Berry and the Everly Brothers were cutting edge, and this guy is in the zone, rocking out, playing rhythms and modalities the likes of which I had never heard before!  The guy played almost all night, with no other accompaniment, but he didn't need any.  His tunes danced in my head.  Writing about it now, 40 years later, I can still hear the music and feel the cold wind.  It was a rare experience, obviously unforgettable.

The "tetrachordal" greek music you hear on records and in the tavernas in Athens is absolutely insipid compared to what I heard that night, so I feel I have an idea of what they are so passionate about.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
The St John's Greek Festival is next week, so I'm expecting endless variations of the bozouki music Mikis Theodorakis wrote for "Zorba the Greek". ;)

http://www.go-stjohns.org/Festival/Festival.asp
(And plenty of pastichio and dolmathes to eat... )
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline Pete Hartley

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary
I'm playing in a Greek restaurant in Wolverhampton tonight , but then I sold my sole to the devil along time ago!

Pete

Update been postponed for a couple of weeks!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 10:00:42 AM by fiddlin Pete »

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

The "tetrachordal" greek music you hear on records and in the tavernas in Athens is absolutely insipid compared to what I heard that night, so I feel I have an idea of what they are so passionate about.
What they seem to be saying is that Irish "bozoukis" should not be called bozoukis at all. ;)

I'm OK with "octave mandolin", but I suppose one size does not fit all. :)

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
What they seem to be saying is that Irish "bozoukis" should not be called bozoukis at all. ;)

Ah now that's harsh! C'mon so, we call them "Irish bouzoukis", we lay no claims to them as Greek bouzoukis, tetrachordo or trichordo! It's only furthering the instrument - Greek bouzoukis would never catch on really in our tradition... just not practical for us traddies! There's a reason Donal Lunny made the changes for us ;) Alec Finn's really the only bouzouki player of any note in Ireland who still plays the Greek bouzouki... although Joe Foley's are pretty enough to be the 'real thing'!

Why would you call it an octave mandolin, when it's not a mandolin at all? And what do you do then for a guitar-shaped bouzouki?!

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

I think most people are getting the joke (at least the ones that have visited the site!) but for those who have not, a revealing excerpt:

WHO ARE WE ?

We are :

1. a powerful and dangerous lobby of Rebetiko fundamentalists

2. a bit dadaistic

3. not very numerous :)

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

Why would you call it an octave mandolin, when it's not a mandolin at all?
Cuz thats' what Fender calls 'em? ;)

And what do you do then for a guitar-shaped bouzouki?!
There, we tread upon some squishy peat bogs indeed! ;D

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

I'm playing in a Greek restaurant in Wolverhampton tonight , but then I sold my sole to the devil along time ago!
So has this guy (notice tetrachordo!):

... or I forgot to turn "red eye reduction" on. I forget which.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal