Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Tearing my hair out  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Martin

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Tearing my hair out
« on: Sep 25, 2003, 01:46:27 PM »
I almost never never break a bowhair while playing, but often get them caught in the stupid catch that holds the bow when removing it from the case - often the bow has moved a little in transit & that catches the hairs.

Am I alone in thinking a better sort of catch could be made - or is there one out there and I just need to find it?

On a cheap case I've lent away the frog end of the bow was secured by a velcro-ed loop. Apart from catching the hairs in the velcor hooks, this seemed safer than the catches.

Offline Jack002

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
Re:Tearing my hair out
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2003, 03:06:34 PM »
Martin, if you have the kind of bow catches I think you do, then they're little rectangular wings that turn, right? Like in this pic:

If so, then what I do to keep the hair from getting messed up in there is to use a rubber band to hold it in there. What I do is put the bow in there (and put another one in too if I'm carrying two) and then put a rubber band over the twist thing, and stretch it to the other side and put it on that one too. I don't always turn the catch to hold it, and that way the bow seems to stay put better too.

I have a better case I also use that has some nice spring loaded holders that hold the frog. Nicer than these lil "twist wing" deals.

Jack

Offline Martin

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2003, 04:06:12 PM »
Hi Jack,

thanks, I'll try the elastic band trick, and keep a look out for the other sort of catch.

btw, is that a left handed fiddle? I've seen a right handed player with that sort of rest too.

My current chinrest is one of the big ones, a Flesch, that sits directly above the tailpiece.  Most comfy so far.

Offline Jack002

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2003, 02:50:56 PM »
Martin, yes, thats a lefty, I just borrowed it for the pic. Hey, I tried a fiddle with that center rest on Pilgrums over the fiddle hell convention, it was nice! I liked it.

Jack

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal