Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Best bridge for my fiddle?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline sillyfiddler

Best bridge for my fiddle?
« on: Sep 24, 2003, 03:57:46 AM »
Hi Folks

Just got myself a lovely Jean-Baptiste Colin fiddle and I'd like to replace the old bridge with a nice new one.  What do you recommend as the best kind of bridges to look at?  I play Scottish/Irish folk and this fiddle has a beautiful sound - I just feel it could possibly be improved with some TLC.

Cheers,
SillyFiddler

Offline alwyswinn

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Apple User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re:Best bridge for my fiddle?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2003, 07:39:03 PM »
If your current bridge is working I would leave it.  Before replacing the bridge I would consider new strings or a trip to a luthier to have a look at the bridge and fiddle in general a new bridge may make a change to your fiddle but it may not be a good one unless properly fitted.  Some will tell you different but unless you have changed a bridge before you should let a trained luthier do this as there is a lot to it besides the obvious fitting.  I use a mirecourt bridge which works well.  Good luck

Offline Bob

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
Re:Best bridge for my fiddle?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2003, 10:47:22 PM »
By the time a luthier finishes the job you'd never know what 'brand' the bridge is anyway. Bridges come in grades and choosing between one brand and another is usually fairly pointless. Agree entirely with Rob above - get a pro opnion.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal