Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Simple tune  (Read 1931 times)

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
Simple tune
« on: Apr 21, 2006, 08:12:56 PM »
I don't know what triggered this, but after practice yesterday I started improvising.  Out came a rudimentary form of the rudimentary tune below.  I know it is simple, but I am pretty impressed that I was able to play something that sounded like music.  Also indicates to me that I am finally starting to pick up some chord progressions.  I wrote it as a hornpipe, but I play it more like a slow air since I can't play fast yet.  If anyone has comments or suggestions, I welcome them.

X:1
T:Unnamed
M:4/4
R:Hornpipe
K:G
|:DGB2 BAGA|GEDE DB,D2|GAB2 BAGA|GEDE DB,A,2|
|DGB2 BAGA|GEDE DB,D2|GBde dBAB|(3ABAG2 GFG2:|
|:Bde2 edBd|BAGA GEG2|Bde2 efgf|gede dBA2|
|GAB2 BAGA|GEDE DB,D2|GBd2 dBAB|(3ABAG2 GFG2:|

Aaron

Offline martyn

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
Re: Simple tune
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2006, 08:19:02 PM »
Great tune Aaron. You gotta think of a name for it though, it can't go into my abc collection with no name now, can it......  ;)

Offline awildman2384

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2006, 08:29:40 PM »
Thanks, Martyn.

Can't think of anything else, so i'll name it after my son.

X:1
T:Bryce's Tune
M:4/4
R:Barndance
K:G
|:DGB2 BAGA|GEDE DB,D2|GAB2 BAGA|GEDE DB,A,2|
|DGB2 BAGA|GEDE DB,D2|GBde dBAB|(3ABAG2 GFG2:|
|:Bde2 edBd|BAGA GEG2|Bde2 efgf|gede dBA2|
|GAB2 BAGA|GEDE DB,D2|GBd2 dBAB|(3ABAG2 GFG2:|

Aaron
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 09:57:21 PM by awildman2384 »

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2006, 11:51:18 PM »
Aaron that's a great tune, well done. But for me when I play it, it doesn't sit as a hornpipe, more as a kinda northern fling/barndance or highland perhaps. That doesn't change the melody at all - I just automatically found snaps appearing in the rhythm... add in a few triplets as variations and it's a genuine barndance. Nice one whatever!

Offline awildman2384

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2006, 01:31:19 AM »
I just automatically found snaps appearing in the rhythm... add in a few triplets as variations and it's a genuine barndance.

Tize, could you clarify what you mean by snaps?  Not sure what that means.  And what are the differences in those types of tunes?  None of the learning material I have mentions either barndances or highlands.  I'm guessing they fall somewhere between hornpipes and reels as far as swing and accented beats? And any suggestions about cds or online audio clips so I can hear examples?  I am a sponge for information right now, especially Irish music.

I definitely agree about the triplets.  I can hear "gaps" in the tune that call for triplets.  I'll add them later when my abilities improve.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2006, 02:58:01 AM »
Tize may mean something else, but for me a snap is a Scot-sounding thing, 16th followed by dotted 8th (semiquaver, then dotted quaver) and it would go in some places where your abc shows even 8ths.

I'm in an instrument-free zone just now, but I'd like to give the tune a noodling when I get home...
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2006, 11:04:28 AM »
Yup Beeswing described it just about right. They're characteristic of Scottish playing but also Donegal and other Ulster fiddle styles. As soon as my flat-mate wakes up from her hangover-induced coma I'll do you a quick recording of what I mean!

For online resources, try thesession.org for loads of tunes which are easy to search through. I don't really know where you might find clips though. Try Simon's website for a bit of classy northern fiddling (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon_bacon/ - he'll correct me if I'm wrong!). In terms of learning Irish fiddling I think it's good to start off listening to all styles of trad playing (you know there are about a million regional styles right? ;)). But players who I'd recommend in particular for their technique are Martin Hayes (who plays in the East Clare style which is very steady and the ornamentation's what we call 'open', so it's easy to learn from), Siobhan Peoples (Donegal & Clare), Kevin Burke (Sligo, but steadier than most Sligo music!) also Jesse Smith's solo album might be good to listen too, he's got a lot of technique but not so much that it crowds the music. Gearoid O hAllmhurain & Patrick Ourceau have a lovely concertina and fiddle album of Clare and East Galway tunes, which is nice and steady and easy to learn from. Also people like James Kelly and the Kane sisters have great tunes and nice styles. Just listen to as much stuff as you can is the best advice I can give you really!

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2006, 11:51:58 AM »
Ok so I just did a quick recording of how I hear that tune; hope it's not too far removed from what you imagined! Please bear with the playing; I literally just picked up the fiddle (without doing my stretches and warm-ups, my lecturers'd end me!) and played from the ABC on the page... I'll get round to learning it properly sometime and do you a decent recording of it ;) http://www.wadtc.co.uk/bryces.MP3

Offline awildman2384

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2006, 12:56:24 AM »
Tize, now you've depressed me.  I won't be able to play like that for years!  All kidding aside, though, I think you played the tune pretty close to what I imagined. I didn't hear it quite as lively and light, though.  But that is probably because my playing is not so smooth.  I seem to labor over each bowstroke and finger placement.  I'm sure I'll get better soon, though.

Thanks for the direction with the fiddlers, too.  I've got a couple of Irish cd's, but the playing is WAY too fast to learn technique.

I've picked out probably a couple hundred tunes form thesession.org and jc's. I've probably learned 10 or 15 Irish tunes(maybe more?).  Can't learn ornamentation or regional styles from ABC, tho. That is a few months away. Right now I'm trying to improve the basics (playing in tune!)and sight-reading.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2006, 03:45:06 AM »
Clives:
Your touch has really improved now that you're taking proper lessons! ;D Your tone has a lighter, more lively color to it. It has a more delicate yet complex tone.

Or... Maybe you just got a better mic! ;D

Nice stuff!

..Sarah
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2006, 04:21:46 PM »
Sarah, I'd say it's as much to do with the fact that I've been playing those few extra months and spending ridiculous amounts of time working insanely hard on my playing, rather than the fact that I now have an hour's lesson a week - my teacher hasn't touched my playing technically (don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all, because that's perfect for me, she understands completely what I want from my lessons). I've been here about 7 months now and, whilst my playing wouldn't be the same had I stayed at home, I would still have progressed, just in different areas. You can make huge advances in playing in 7 months, lessons or no lessons. Thanks tho.

And I didn't get a better mic - just worked out that if I stay further away from it it's a less harsh tone that comes off it, and then just boost the signal once it's recorded.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »
As I suspected, it's the "spending ridiculous amounts of time working insanely hard" more than anything else. Sadly, one's Dalek-building skills may suffer from neglect in the meantime.
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »
Yeah, there's been a sad lack of dalek building since I've been here... there just isn't the time, the raw materials are the capacity for it in Luimnigh. Still, one must make sacrifices for one's art, musn't one? ;D

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal