Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: 'Viol' violin cleaner  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
'Viol' violin cleaner
« on: Mar 15, 2006, 12:32:45 AM »
I'm just after getting some of this stuff - my fiddle teacher uses it, and she got the legends up at Custy's to order a whole load down for us trad students. I got a bottle of it and gave my fiddle a clean today. It turns out the thing's actually made of nice looking wood and has varnish and everything! It's deadly stuff, it shifted muck that I didn't even know was on there (I thought that was just the colour of my fiddle from when I got it!). I'd definitely recommend it. A fairly small bottle of it was 10euro, but I gave my fiddle a really thorough clean with it and there'd hardly been a few drops out of it so it'll last a long time, even for me.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: 'Viol' violin cleaner
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2006, 12:38:56 AM »
Gawd, she finally dusted her fiddle, folks. Alert the media!

;D

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2006, 12:40:28 AM »
Hush yourself! I dusted it often enough... ask anyone who's actually looked at the thing - none of the rosin was caked on, it got cleaned at least once every couple of weeks. Jesus Joe, you think mine's bad you should see some of the old lads' fiddles around here ;) There're 70 year olds playing 200 year old fiddles that probably haven't been cleaned since their grandfathers got hold of 'em!

Offline Mnfele

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2006, 01:07:53 PM »
There are pros and cons about cleaner but I used some ,sparingly, on my violin a few years ago. Since then I have only touched up the troublesome area under the strings. It works for me. I think some people get into trouble with it when they use too much. As you said just a few drops are needed.

Offline Fairview Fiddler

• Total Badges: 24
    Nineth year Anniversary Quick Poster Windows User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2006, 06:16:17 PM »
Good article in this month's Strings magazine about using cleaners. The general impression I got from reading the article is not to use a cleaner and if you do, be careful not to get any of the cleaner into cracks as silicone may enter the crack and make repairs more difficult.
They suggest cleaning the fiddle nightly with a clean cotton cloth. If you love your fiddle, this seems a natural thing to do. If I can rub my dog everynight I can do the same for the fiddle.

Offline Mnfele

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:16:18 PM »
I keep two clothes in my case. One is for removing rosin from the violin and bow which I do EVERY time I play. The other cloth is for wiping down the body of my violin which I do occasionally. Even with this care I get a "film" on the body under the strings that I remove with cleaner about every two - three years.
Age of the instrument and previous care may have something to with how "dirty" the instrument is. The type of varnish may also be a factor. I don't see where a newer violin that has been cared for would need the cleaner but it is an option for some.

Offline Nfkfiddler

Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2006, 03:39:39 PM »
Rightly or wrongly I was advised to use only Beare's cleaner and only then if I had too.
A literal spit and polish serves well.   There is an enzyme in saliva that's useful.  Joe knows all the technical details...................

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2006, 03:46:46 PM »
Ptyalin. It's the enzyme that breaks down starches, which the body has trouble digesting, so the process starts in the mouth.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal