Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: My new Guitar-shaped Bouzouki  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
My new Guitar-shaped Bouzouki
« on: Feb 01, 2006, 07:58:57 PM »
I just got my guitar-shaped zouk from Dave White (www.defaoiteguitars.com) today, and it's GORGEOUS! I went down to see him last September and we discussed aspects like size, neck width and depth, fret size and width etc. He then set about making the instrument to my specs. He had it finished a while ago but I only just managed to get down to pick it up today.

It has a gorgeous tone already, a lovely compromise between the mellow guitar and tinny bouzouki sounds. The action is quite low, on my request, but it's his first 'zouk with an adjustable neck, so that if I want to change it at any point, it doesn't require a full neck reset. It also has a K&K Sound Systems pick-up built into it.

I'm really happy with it all together, he's done an absolutely fantastic job. I can highly recommend him. I have an amazing bouzouki player staying with me at the moment, and he won't give it back to me since I let him try it out, he's fallen in love with it! Here's a couple of pics:

Offline feodosia

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
Re: My new Guitar-shaped Bouzouki
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:24:28 PM »
Wow Tize, that's great !
That's a pretty instrument you've got there !! ... It's great to have a instrument you've helped design...like I helped my pipemaker make my bagpipes..Wish I had money to finance my other instrument ideas, ha ...

Well, you've confirmed my suspicions .. Ive always felt the bouzouki has like a 12-string guitar sound to it .... 

I used to have to play in a group where a guy had a similar instrument , 8 strings + guitar body, but I think he just had it in a ukulele tuning

At least your boukouki has a fiddle tuning to it, so it won't mess up your fiddle-brain  :)
( the way a 5-string banjo does )
 good luck with it !!
 ;)

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:46:26 PM »
Tiim O'Brien has played on a guitar-shaped zouk for years.  Very cool

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »
Feo - I actually play 'zouk and mandolin in DGAD tuning, so it's a cross between fiddle and DADGAD guitar. It means that it's still pretty easy to get the tunes out of it, but provides a better basis for accompaniment both separately and combined with melody :)

Offline martyn

• Someone with 5 blobs

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2006, 03:44:47 PM »
Nice looking instrument, Tize. How does it sound? (Hint, hint.....  goes off to look in the Recordings and Reviews section)

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2006, 04:24:56 PM »
It has a great sound Martyn. My 'mic' here is so very bad that it doesn't get any definition in the sound at all, so I'll wait until I find a decent mic, or alternatively something I can plug straight into (the pick-up produces a very natural sound) to do you a recording of it.

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator
  • I've been drinking downstream from the herd again.

• Total Badges: 25
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2006, 04:28:17 PM »
Tize, Now that you have this brand new zouk - I want to offer my services as a string tester. Send the Zouk and about 150 sets of strings. I will tell you how long each string lasts and how good it sounds. At the same time, I will test the durability of your new zouk.

If you act now, I'll even provide the comments people make from performances and sessions. I'll even record it on several CD's.

All of this is totally free except for postage and handling. You can't beat that bargain. Best of all - when I die, I'll have my son continue in my footsteps and complete the instrument test.  

Congratulations on your new zouk! That is really cool!

Offline rudi

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2006, 06:49:37 PM »
Ive never seen one like this. It looks great. What wood are the back & sides made from? Love to hear it.

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:04:37 AM »
The top is European Spruce and the back and sides are East Indian Rosewood. It's so pretty isn't it!

Dave's brilliant in terms of what he gives you with your instruments as well. Mine was an absolutely brilliant price and included the strings, a hiscox flight case, a cleaning cloth, and a CD-Rom with looooads of pictures of the zouk through the various stages of building, which is fascinating and lovely to have, and also a handbook giving a full spec (e.g. woods, scale elngth, soundhole, max rim depth, fingerboard, binding, etc etc) and then a care and maintenance guide. They also have a warranty covering any problems due to defective workmanship (can't forsee any though!) which lasts "as long as he/she owns it in my lifetime" :)

Offline rudi

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »
Rosewoods make a superb soundbox. As a young man, I tried out a number of guitars at the Fylde workshop in Kirkham (Its moved since) Maples had a lush subtle sound, but only responded best to soft playing. The rosewoods were clear & bright & responded well to harder picking. Easy choice;- I bought one.

Your guarantee is good too. Dave obviously has confidence in (& commitment to) his work. And yes, it looks beautiful! Enjoy. 

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal