Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Fiddling around  (Read 3668 times)

Offline jamir

• Grand dreams die everyday. Please don't kill yours

• Total Badges: 16
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 4 Eighth year Anniversary Super Combination
Fiddling around
« on: Jan 26, 2006, 02:49:46 PM »
Hello,

I have now at last got my "Blue burst barcus berry"  violin which is absolutely gorgeous .
I have found a teacher in the middle east ( quite a feat ) but she only teaches classical.

anyone have Patchabell by Cannon or Phantom of the Opera sheet music for me., The only two pieces of classical I can bare to listen to and learn . I am a folky through and through give me the Chieftains or Furies any day.

Thanks

Ja'mir

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
Re: Fiddling around
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2006, 04:07:50 PM »
Phantom of the Opera is under copyright protection so I will be surprised if you find it online.  Regarding the Canon in D by Pachelbel, if you google "pachelbel canon sheet music" you'll find a bunch of links to scores; I didn't look through to see if there were any arrangements specifically for violin though. -Steve

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »
By "Phantom of the Opera" and "Classical," are you referring to Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor"?

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline jamir

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2006, 06:47:44 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... not quite sure
Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor"? ...... doesn't mean much to a pleebian like me I'm afraid. ???

But thanks for the tips, I'll do another few searches and see what I can come up with.

Ja'mir

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »
Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor...otherwise known as the "scary Halloween organ piece."    :D

Offline jamir

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2006, 08:05:05 PM »
Thank you....... I learn something new every day.  :)

It sounds really bad or sad, but I was bought up on trad irish music, not a classical recording in my collection except for Pachabell which I adore. , and I have passed this on to my kids too. Sad hey !!!! but it is never too late to learn.

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2006, 05:31:34 AM »
By "Phantom of the Opera" and "Classical," are you referring to Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor"?

..Joe

I just assumed jamir meant the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical...

Jamir, if you like Irish you might want to listen to some of the baroque composers, like Vivaldi, Corelli, Handel and Bach to name a few of my favorites.  Handel, especially, composed a number of pieces that wouldn't sound out of place in an Irish session (De Dannaan recorded at least one of them:  The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba).-Steve

Offline Yvonne

Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:08:47 AM »
Well, Turlough O'Carolan was alive during the Classical period and many of his tunes are considered Irish traditional now.

http://www.oldmusicproject.com/oneils1.html

Offline jamir

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:22:50 AM »
I did mean the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical...as it is great to listen to and IO know a lot of the pieces. but it is very interesting finding out about all the others.
May be I will get some culture  after all, my husband is thrilled as he loves classical.

The main objective here is to play trad Irish music. My teacher is excellent and plays and teaches classical, she also sings opera. . So I thought this would give me a good start on the violin, rather than teaching myself with lots of bad habits.
She does want me to  play pieces I can understand and enjoy though , so asked me to bring in a couple of pieces that I know. Basically Patchabell Cannon in D or Cavatina is my limit ............. as I am an irish ballad singer , song writer and guitarist, this is a challenge.
I love medieval and renaissence music, I love the songs from Lord of the Rings and have you heard the Brobdingnagian Bards. I love their instrumentals.

So finding some sheet music that I can work on where I recognise the tune to start with is essential for me

Ja'mir

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:53:42 AM »
Ah. Sorry for the confusion. It's just that I would never consider anything from that little squirt Lloyd-Weber "Classical," which is why I thought you meant the Bach piece, which for some unknown reason been associated with Phantom for many, many years.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2006, 12:48:05 PM »
Jamir, you might be interested to know that the lead soloist in Lord of the Rings is a trad flautist/whistle player called Alan Doherty, from Dublin. Nice guy, plays with a great band called Grada. So you can be trad and sound brilliant in 'classical' pieces ;)

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2006, 04:40:17 PM »
Well, Turlough O'Carolan was alive during the Classical period and many of his tunes are considered Irish traditional now.

http://www.oldmusicproject.com/oneils1.html

To be picky and pedantic (and probably off-topic, sorry), he was active during the late Baroque period, not the Classical period [Baroque: ~1600-1750; Classical: ~1780-1830], and was apparently familiar with a number of the baroque composers' works, in addition to his mastery of the Irish harping tradition.  The story is that he wrote "O'Carolan's Concerto" after a challenge by Geminiani or one of the other Italian composers who passed through Dublin to compose something in the formal style.  But unlike the "educated" composers, he didn't write anything down, it was all an aural/oral tradition, and I think all we have from him is melody lines and don't know how his stuff was actually arranged or played. -Steve

Offline Yvonne

Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:22:53 PM »
You're right, Steve. My bad. O'Carolan lived during the Baroque period. Still he is classified as a composer of Classical Music.

Offline Jugband

• Total Badges: 9
    Second year Anniversary Search One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
 But unlike the "educated" composers, he didn't write anything down, it was all an aural/oral tradition, and I think all we have from him is melody lines and don't know how his stuff was actually arranged or played. -Steve

O'Carolan, being blind but wonderful, picked up a Patron, who hired a scribe to follow him around everywhere he went and notate his work.

He always wore a shirt with eight buttons, and each representing a note. He showed the scribe what to write by touching the buttons.

Carolan apprenticed as an accountant, but went blind from smallpox in his late teens.  Realizing that blind accountants weren't in high demand, he started learning to play the Irish Harp.

Though Irish Fiddle is saturated with O'Carolan tunes, they were all written for the harp, because the fiddle was unknown in Ireland during that period.

When Rome withdrew from Britain, the main instrument was the Lyre, and lap-harps based on it.  The violin hadn't been invented yet. 

Since there was no trade between Britain and Italy after the Romans left, violins existed for over 200 years before the instrument finally found it's way to Ireland.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal