Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Guitar  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Nicolas

• Total Badges: 26
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Guitar
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:58:14 PM »
Hello to y'all pickers,

I've been playing on my classical Ibanez Cimar(30y old) for 3 years now. I like it very much indeed, but somehow it doesn't really suit the more folky music I play. I'm thus looking for a steelstring.

What could you recommend? I've been looking into Simon and Patrick lately, played two three (one 12 string  ;D). They seemed as good as the much more expensive martins and takamines...dunno.

Clear, simple finish please.

Thank you very much,

Nicolas

Offline ApK

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
Re: Guitar
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2006, 02:50:56 AM »
The Godin brands (Simon and Patrick, Seagull, etc) are all the rage over at the forums on acousticguitar.com.  You can't as a question about any brand without someone recommending a Seagull instead.

I've played an S&P and a Seagull recently for a bit, and they certainly do seem like good values, but I still want a Martin!

Other acoustics that get good chatter in that price range are Yamaha (what I have) and Blueridge, and Cort.  Also, there are several good Martins and Taylors for just a bit more, if a Martin or Taylor is really what you yearn for.

On the REAL low end, if money is the major hurdle, we have all had some remarkably good experiences with the dirt cheap Rogue guitars from Musician's Friend, but they are not in the same class as any of the others.

ApK

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 24
    Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2006, 03:14:34 AM »
Blueridge.  Bean Blossom (the solid wood ones).  Johnson has the new line, Carolina??? Something like that.  Need to watch that the setup is good on any of these.  If you want, I can get you whatever you want in those lines. 

Steve

Offline Nicolas

• Total Badges: 26
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »
Got a Simon and Patrick yesterday.

Action is good, good craftmanship all around and sound is the best I could find for the price range. I like playing it.

Also took up a few blueridges, takamines and yams, but the sound was a bit more brittle on those. And played a two high-end martins: AWESOME, but I play too badly to buy such guitars. 

Simon and partick was the cheapest (there were sales and it was 35% off) and the best to me.

Oh also tried a Landola. Great guitar, but it was second hand and suffered a bit from bad care. Lots of dents and scratches. It sounded nice, but was too expensive for such a beat up guitar.

Bah, I'm off practicing that dadgad stuff  ;D

Offline PeterG

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2006, 01:55:16 PM »
The Godin lines (S&P, Seagull, Norman) are the best value for money and the S & P come surprisingly close to the Martin sound, in my unbiased humble Canadian opinion.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal