Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: I just got a guitar!  (Read 6641 times)

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows
  • God gave me a fiddle and told me to play...

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Search Eighth year Anniversary Windows User
I just got a guitar!
« on: Jan 04, 2006, 05:33:41 AM »
 ;D Yay, I just got a guitar - wonderful cheap ebay very cheap thing -
 it came today!  ;D

(...now I just have to figure out how to play it...)

Five Strings are Better than Four!

Granite State Bows:  Worth The Weight!
Fresh Quarried Bows for Players Requiring Rock-Solid Performance
What We Lack in Flexibility We Make Up For in Strength

Advertise Here

Offline PeterG

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: I just got a guitar!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2006, 04:32:06 PM »

Thats easy. Press down strings onto the long thin thingy so they hit the little metal thingys. Hold pick in other hand and brush against one or several of the strings in such a way that it makes pleasant sounds. Nothing to it, really.
      Seriously, if I had to pick 2 musical instruments to take to a desert island it would be the fiddle and guitar. Gongrats on your new acquisition and enjoy.

Offline rudi

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »
Im sure you will find a few chords soon enough. Hope you enjoy it!

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2006, 12:31:44 PM »
Seriously, if I had to pick 2 musical instruments to take to a desert island it would be the fiddle and guitar. Gongrats on your new acquisition and enjoy.

strangely enough I totally agree with you.

Offline Krugwaffle

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
One thing for sure, the calluses you built playing fiddle will seem like minor things compared to the ones you'll get from guitar.  After 40 years on the guitar I got a big laugh when I would read on these fiddle forums of how the student's fingers hurt from pressing the strings.  Work the pedals on one of these dreadnaughts for a while, or better yet, play a few months on a 12 string - and keep the tone clean!  You'll take the calluses to a whole new level.

I hope your transistion from fiddle to guitar will be as easy and as much fun as my transition was from guitar to fiddle.  Yeah, I know the third string is tuned wrong, and it's an octave lower than the notation but you'll get used to it... in a few years... or so.

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2006, 07:15:12 PM »
Yay!  Fun!

I have a guitar and my goal was always to play some of our Kindergarten songs so I could play while my class sang the songs.  But the violin is a harsh mistress and won't let me go and have time with another.  So, the guitar sits in my closet, unplayed. 

I was able to noodle my way through Ode to Joy on it, though! 

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2006, 09:40:56 PM »
Agreed.  I used to be pretty good on guitar but since about 2000, only pick mine up occasionally since fiddle commands all my available music-making time.  I thought that my calluses had held up pretty well but last time I played my electric I ended up with a blister on my ring finger from bending strings.  Jen, I hope your guitar has decent action.  I still remember the Summer during my high school years when I learned to play, putting in about 3-4 hours a day on a crummy old Silvertone with high action.  I don't think my fingers actually ever bled but it was definitely painful there for a while!

Offline transport

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2006, 02:12:47 PM »
;D Yay, I just got a guitar - wonderful cheap ebay very cheap thing -
 it came today!  ;D

I bought one of these cheapo ones for my son to try guitar with, he's never played anything before so I wasn't prepared to spend much at this stage:

Looks really odd doesn't it :o  :o  ;D ;D

... but anyway I liked the way it was built ie. bolt on removeable neck, resin back/body shell, vilion style tailpeice etc. So I decided to get one and put a carved top on it just for fun.

This is what I did to my son's:

And I've just about finished mine now:

Only thing is I don't really want to re-learn guitar after so many years of not playing  one (and playing banjo since and now violin), the fingerbord feels so huge after banjo and now violin LOL 
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2006, 03:56:50 PM by transport »

Offline jessboo

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2006, 03:59:44 AM »
nice looking job transport. how does it sound?

Offline transport

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2006, 03:38:16 PM »
They are described as a "Bluegrass" guitar in the advertisement. not that I know what that would mean anyway ( or whether it would have been appropriate to place a "style description" on it other than to say it was cheap ;D ).

As they come, to be honest they have a hint of a "banjo twang" to them but with the arch top they become less so, and are deeper of tone and mellower. Sorry I haven't picked up a guitar for years so I don't know any sound terms for guitar.

Maybe when my son ( or heaven spare us....  me ) gets to play something audible I can post an mp3. Probably should have done a before and after mp3 when I think of it, I just did it all as a bit of a fun-fill-in-holiday-time waster project so I didn't get real conscienscious and document anything, just chiselled planed and sanded my fingers off for a week  ;D

Offline feodosia

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:43:25 PM »
   Hey, Can't be all bad ....it's got F-holes !

;D   ;D    ;D

Offline transport

« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2006, 12:16:08 PM »
   Hey, Can't be all bad ....it's got F-holes !

;D   ;D    ;D

;D ;D

Yes the F-holes possibly played a part in influencing my purchase of the original one LOL

But wasn't sure about the use of 3 full...stops ( periods ) on the top  ???  :o :o :o  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Eric C.

Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2006, 02:36:03 AM »
Shoot, I really wanted to see that carved top, but no picture appears. <8^(

Offline transport

« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2006, 11:56:12 AM »
Old thread I know but:

I just finished another of these guitary things with a WRC carved top. Took me ages to find a quartersawn piece, with straight grain and no knots, at the hardware this time.

But its done and is already very nicely toned after only being strung up for 12 hours:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/transport/violin/Dscf4224.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/transport/violin/Dscf4268.jpg

Put a piezo transducer in there too.

Charged my son's girlfriend $10AU for the job .....

yes I know its cheap, but I had to take into account:

1. Anything to sell my son he may be "appearance challenged" as I am
2. I may be paid back in grandchildren some day.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline transport

« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2006, 11:59:02 AM »
Ohhh gee!!!!!! ..... I'm "brainily challenged" too

sorry :embarassed:

Offline chrisandcello

Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2006, 06:30:13 PM »
Nice one transport!.....

Offline chrisandcello

« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2006, 06:31:29 PM »
Have you tried popping a soundpost in it yet?

Offline transport

« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2006, 07:36:35 PM »
Have you tried popping a soundpost in it yet?

;D ;D No no no .... its a guitar  ;D ;D ;D

just because its got f-holes doesn't mean its a bowed instrument. ;D

Actually its kinda built a bit like a violin with that tailpiece. It makes the insides a lot easier, the back of the instrument takes all of the string tension so it only needs what looks like 2 bass bars, one under each foot of the bridge. So the vertical vibrations of a plucked string go straight into vibrating the top. Thats kinda why I like doing the archtop thing to these cheapo guitars, that and the bolt on neck makes it a snack to modify.

Offline chrisandcello

« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2006, 08:57:09 PM »
I have read of people adding soundposts to guitars with tailpieces....adds to the projection as far as I can work out....maybe sustain too?
Being into blow/hum and tap tones at the moment makes me wonder about the interesting possibilities of tuning the blow tone....to the neck resonance maybe? for better projection?..or to the hum tone for more resonance??.....bigger holes = lower tone...smaller holes= higher tone. As you cut your own there is scope to make the fs as you like and port them  :o...bit like you would an engine intake.... You can experiment a little by masking off bits of the f-hole to lower the tone to match the hum or neck tap tone...... :-\....but that would probably take away the fun element maybe ;)
Nice one though transport.....how do you find the time for your creations?

Offline chad

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »
Fiddlejen:

Q: What's the difference between a savings bond and a guitar player?
A: The savings bond will eventually mature and earn money...

;)

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows

« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2006, 03:36:33 AM »
Mine doesn't look anything like that.  ;)  Coming up on a year I've had it.  I went to the trouble of getting one really good lesson, and also a "teach yourself guitar" DVD & book.  Plus the Lessons on the FOW website seemed really helpful, I went through some of them one day.   

But even so, I can count on both hands the number of times I've attempted to work with it since I got it

It's not that I don't want to practice.  The problem is just that time spent learning to play a cheap guitar is music time not spent practicing fiddle... 

(...maybe if my guitar had f-holes & a soundpost, maybe then I could convince myself to invest the time...)

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2006, 10:42:02 PM »
"...time spent learning to play a cheap guitar is music time not spent practicing fiddle..."

Yes, sometimes you have to make those decisions.  I used to play a lot of guitar, plus mando, banjo and a couple others in addition to fiddle, but realized that I could either be mediocre at a bunch of instruments, or have a chance at being a really good fiddler, so pretty much gave up everything else.  There's just not enough time to do it all! -Steve

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2006, 11:15:48 PM »
"...time spent learning to play a cheap guitar is music time not spent practicing fiddle..."

Yes, sometimes you have to make those decisions.  I used to play a lot of guitar, plus mando, banjo and a couple others in addition to fiddle, but realized that I could either be mediocre at a bunch of instruments, or have a chance at being a really good fiddler, so pretty much gave up everything else.

That reads like an interview with the late, great Michael "fiddleboy" McCanless (Hank III) I read recently:
http://tvcasualty.com/articles/a_mccan.html
TV: Do you play any other instruments?

MM: No, not really. Again, that goes back to my parents. They instilled in me the idea that if you play a lot of different instruments you'll end up splitting your talent and attention between them, and end up being "okay" at a lot of different things. On the other hand, if you pick just one thing and put all you've got into that one thing, then you'll have the chance to excel and be as good as you can possibly be at that one thing. (Not that playing violin / fiddle is all I know, but as far as instrumental work goes, that's my one thing.)

There's just not enough time to do it all! -Steve
Quick, somebody tell Mark O'Connor! ;)
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline chili

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2006, 02:28:26 AM »
I play alot of instruments from fair to poorly but find I like the experience of trying new things too compelling to resist.  Right now in my music room are: 2 Acoustic violins, fender mandocaster, 2 electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, a tenor guitar, several ukes, a baritone uke, 2 mandolins, 2 banjos, an electric bass, many percussion instruments, harmonicas,  a 4 string electric violin, a 6 string electric violin and a midi keyboard.

I now lust after a lap steel guitar, a saxophone, a dobro type guitar, an accordion, a viola and an electric cello. ( a harp would be incredible..)

My problem in older age is trying to remember chord fingering for all these instruments alas.

Chili

Offline David M.

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:05:24 PM »
There's just not enough time to do it all! -Steve
Quick, somebody tell Mark O'Connor!

...or Aubrey Haynie, or Skaggs, or Mike Marshall, or...

Offline ChristinasDream

• Total Badges: 18
    Seventh year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:35:46 AM »

That reads like an interview with the late, great Michael "fiddleboy" McCanless (Hank III) I read recently:
http://tvcasualty.com/articles/a_mccan.html
TV: Do you play any other instruments?

MM: No, not really. Again, that goes back to my parents. They instilled in me the idea that if you play a lot of different instruments you'll end up splitting your talent and attention between them, and end up being "okay" at a lot of different things. On the other hand, if you pick just one thing and put all you've got into that one thing, then you'll have the chance to excel and be as good as you can possibly be at that one thing. (Not that playing violin / fiddle is all I know, but as far as instrumental work goes, that's my one thing.)
Quick, somebody tell Mark O'Connor! ;)

I'm going to be honest and say I don't really agree with that; there's been plenty of musicians that play several instruments very well. If you got the will and time, you can master anything.

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2006, 10:30:25 PM »
To an extent I agree, but I want to point out that all of the musicians mentioned so far learned their instruments as children, and were playing at high levels on multiple instruments by the time they were teenagers!  That's not really the situation I was thinking of.  I don't discount the power of hard work and single-mindedness but I think that it may be more effective when you're young! -Steve
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2006, 05:04:23 PM by Steve_W »

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows

« Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2007, 05:15:54 AM »
Two days ago, had some waiting-time to fill, so I wandered into a music store. 
Only one fiddle in the place so I ignored it. 

Nice fella running the place very kindly answered all my questions about... electric basses!
Hooked up the most beautiful one for me to try. 

I have been, now & then, toying with the idea of getting a cheap beginner's complete bass set. 
But, wondering if I Really want one, or if I just think I do.  (I mean, I've never even touched one before!)

YEAH, I want one. 

Unfortuantely, now I want the one I can't afford!!  (Plus even if I could afford it, I'm not willing to spend more money on a non-fiddle instrument than I've ever spent on either of my fiddles!)

:(

The really nice thing about that particular bass.... it was a 5-string.  :D  And the extra string was an extra-low string!  wWwoOoomMMmmm....  I really want one of these things...   

Seems these things are normally tuned in fourths.  I wonder if you could change the tuning, tune it in fifths so it would be more sensible to play?

Offline woodwiz

Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: Apr 19, 2007, 05:26:20 AM »
Upright basses are tuned in fourths, too.  I think it might be because of the reaches involved. 

Offline transport

« Reply #29 on: Apr 19, 2007, 06:48:52 AM »
You can get fretless electric basses they would be easy to tune in fifths  .... but you'd still be at the mercy of the "finger reach" problem outlined above.

I doubt you'd get a fretless at a beginner bass price though :(

but ... if you bought a beginner 5 string electric bass, and an angle grinder, it'd still be lots cheaper than buying a fretless bass.  ;D ;D

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #30 on: Apr 19, 2007, 10:16:16 AM »
Seems these things are normally tuned in fourths.  I wonder if you could change the tuning, tune it in fifths so it would be more sensible to play?
The way to do this is on one of those Ashbory basses with the silicone strings, since it has a scale length of 19", the reaches involved are no worse than a banjo, Irish bozouki or octave mandolin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashbory_bass

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows

« Reply #31 on: Apr 19, 2007, 12:51:27 PM »

Ashbory basses with the silicone strings, since it has a scale length of 19",

Hey, that's not even too very expensive!  ...hmmm.....

But then I start thinking........I wonder, they compared the scale length to a violin..............
wonder if a curved bridge could go on one of those??   ;D 8)
wonder if those strings would work with a bow?? 8)  ;D 8) ??

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #32 on: Apr 19, 2007, 02:05:28 PM »
You'd have to bow with an excruciatingly accurate touch, or else get a sound way beyond deranged cow. Because those strings are so short, they are really soft.
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #33 on: Apr 19, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »
But then I start thinking...
If I had bothered to "think", I'd have never gotten one, and that would be truly regrettable. ;D
If you can build a new bridge with a pickup in it, go for it. The bridge IS the pickup in this thing.
Sadly, no... there isn't enough tension in the strings for a bow to work. I have given some thought to building a "Gizmotron" style device to give a bowed effect, but it would be hard to get it to work well. An eBow won't work because the strings are plastic and pretty much unaffected by magnetic fields. :(

Offline transport

« Reply #34 on: Apr 19, 2007, 02:45:23 PM »
Hey that Ashbory thing is fretless isn't it?

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #35 on: Apr 20, 2007, 06:28:19 AM »
Hey that Ashbory thing is fretless isn't it?
Indeed it is, the things that look like "frets" are actually just markers... and not all that accurate. You have to listen while you're playing...

Offline zaivanbuijs

• Total Badges: 27
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #36 on: Jun 27, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »
Hey, that's not even too very expensive!  ...hmmm.....

But then I start thinking........I wonder, they compared the scale length to a violin..............

Hehe, I came across what you need in Buxton, it was just 3 strings though, but it was a bass fiddle. Really fun to play ;D

Offline fiddlejen

• Granite State Bows

« Reply #37 on: Jun 27, 2007, 10:50:19 PM »
Oooohhh... 

what are the strings?  How is it tuned?

What's it called, is there a website for it?

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal