Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: How to choose a good shoulder rest?  (Read 6804 times)

stone

How to choose a good shoulder rest?
« on: Jan 03, 2006, 01:18:32 AM »
My teachers recommended Kun Oringial should rest. But I found it not all that great: It falls off my violin very easily and it makes my shoulder bone uncomfortable. I don't know whether it is just me or it is a common problem (I vaguely remember someone actually added stripes from a used tire to stabilize the shoulder rest?).

In any event, even with all the issues, how does one choose the right or a good shoulder rest?

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
Re: How to choose a good shoulder rest?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2006, 01:34:57 AM »
Whatever works for you is the best one.  I've used KUN for years.  I also really like Mach One.

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 01:44:46 AM »
By trial and error.  If you're lucky you can find a shop with a good selection, that will let you return a rest that you don't like, but I find it generally takes me a while to know if a style will suit me or not.  Kun rests are pretty versatile (part of the reason so many people use them); are you sure you have it adjusted correctly for your physique?  Regarding the "falling off" problem, I've had problems with this as well on my main fiddle; Kun Originals tend to collapse on me, apparently because the lower bout of my violin is a width that's between the adjustment points (and I probably tend to grip the fiddle tighter than necessary when nervous, which doesn't help).  I've recently switched to a Kun Voce which basically has infinite width adjustment, as well as more stable feet that grip the sides of the fiddle better, and this has solved that problem (although I don't like the curve of the Voce quite as much as the Kun Original, and it's quite expensive--around $60). 

Offline Alan Kroeger

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Global Grinch

• Total Badges: 32
    Windows User Level 6 Invisible
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 01:58:33 AM »
Does the Kun lack any adjustment I use an expensive unit and have used some cheapies. The cheapies have legs made of metal all you have to do is to bend them in to create some additional tension which should make the rest stay in place better. You can't do that with the Kun too? try a cheapie unit like the Resonans $8 bucks they stay in place for me?

Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra editing and avatar privileges.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:12:41 AM »
Adam imports a nice shoulder rest made of Rosewood that I like very much. I think it was like $17.00, so it's not expensive and it makes the violin feel quite stable on my shoulder. I like it better than my Kun.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

stone

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:22:18 AM »
Thanks a lot for the recommendations, guys. The Kun voce looks appealing and it is made of carbon fiber, which is supposed to be long-lasting?  If it lasts "forever", it might be worth it the high price.  I also noticed that some chinrests were made of wood.  Wouldn't it be stiff then (that was my first thought)?  The Kun shoulder rest has some sponge-like material. 

Offline apollonike

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:11:38 AM »
I have a maple mach one, and the stiffness doesn't bother me at all.

Just try different shoulder rests, until you find one you like.  Although if it's collapsing, it's probably a tension issue as much as a shoulder rest.

Offline buttermuffin4

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:40:25 AM »
I hate my current shoulder rest, it digs into my shoulder, it falls off my violin, even when I have my violin clamped between my shoulder and chin it falls off! >:( It's so frustrating. I'm waiting for it to break so I can get a new one.  8)

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:49:32 AM »
Thanks a lot for the recommendations, guys. The Kun voce looks appealing and it is made of carbon fiber, which is supposed to be long-lasting?  If it lasts "forever", it might be worth it the high price.  I also noticed that some chinrests were made of wood.  Wouldn't it be stiff then (that was my first thought)?  The Kun shoulder rest has some sponge-like material. 

I like the Voce but suspect it's overkill.  I bought it because it was the most adjustable Kun-type rest I could find, and it solved my problem (the high price was worth it to me to protect the back of my expensive violin from the dings it was getting when the Kun Classic collapsed).  I would say that if there's an advantage to using carbon fiber it's stiffness (which means it's less likely to flex and come off the fiddle) combined with light weight (which I suspect is less likely to have an effect on tone).  The Voce, like all Kun rests, I think, has a layer of closed-cell foam padding on it--which I assume will eventually be the first thing to wear out!  I hope it's replaceable!

I used a Resonans for a number of years.  They're not height-adjustable like the Kuns but if you can find a size that works (I think they come in 3 different heights) it might be another good choice. 

stone

« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:03:39 AM »
Sandra, What shoulder rest are you using?

The Voce, like all Kun rests, I think, has a layer of closed-cell foam padding on it--which I assume will eventually be the first thing to wear out!  I hope it's replaceable!

Thanks, Steve.

I bought my Kun Classic 3/4 shoulder rest in 2000 and used it for about 1 year. One year is probably not long enough to wear the closed-cell foam out, but I noticed the foam is actually getting hardened.  :o  At least it is harder/more densed than my Kun Classic 4/4, which was bought earlier last year. The foam is still quite supple.

If they don't have a replacement, then it is gonna be quite expensive since the Voce costs aobut $60...  :'(

Offline woodwiz

Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2006, 06:25:02 AM »
Are you sure you even need one?  I have a fairly short neck, and get along better without one.  I don't grip the violin at all tightly anywhere; it just sort of floats, but is very stable nonetheless, and shifting is no problem.  I've compared the sound, with and without, and with a very light grip, there isn't much difference, although there is a little bit.

When it's very hot, I'll fold a large handkerchief or bandanna and slide it under my shirt front to make a pad. Back in the day, people just used a piece of sponge for a shoulder rest.

Offline Pipers Wine Fiddler

• Total Badges: 25
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:22:51 AM »
Hi,

I had the same problem with the standard plastic Kun shoulder rest that it fell off. In Buxton, Jeff (swarbrules) showed me the Kun Bravo, which is basically the same design as the standard Kun but made of much more stabil maple wood. I am using that one now and I am very happy with it. Certainly a little bit more expensive than the standard one but good value for money ... and it looks cool!

sorry Holger, image removed as it was trying to install some kind of certificate on everyones machine

I already wondered why my machine would aks me toa ccept a certificate any time I came back here to this thread. Sorry, didn't plan to spread out any virusses or whatever by linking to that picture. Holger

Regards

Holger
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2006, 09:45:50 AM by Pipers Wine Fiddler »

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:28:33 AM »
I now use a Mach1. Very light and Peter Mach has developed a pad which, while it looks like a rhino with acne, sticks like **** on a blanket. He sent me a trial version so, I don't know if it is in production yet.

Offline diddle

Level 5 Invisible Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:32:47 AM »
Well... I'm only a beginner... So, what do I know?  I used a towell, at first... Then I discovered a simple invention...  A pad stuffed with stuff, in a soft velvet pouch, which hooks and unhooks in order to place it round yer chin rest, then underneath...to fit on your shoulder...  (Which probably makes no sense to you all, but it works for me...)

(It's a home-made device...)
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006, 08:43:05 AM by diddle »

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:58:19 PM »
Hi,

I had the same problem with the standard plastic Kun shoulder rest that it fell off. In Buxton, Jeff (swarbrules) showed me the Kun Bravo, which is basically the same design as the standard Kun but made of much more stabil maple wood. I am using that one now and I am very happy with it. Certainly a little bit more expensive than the standard one but good value for money ... and it looks cool!

Regards

Holger

That looks cool, but check out the coolness factor of the Voce:

I think they're trying to appeal to the "Fast and Furious" crowd 8)   Note that it has continuous width adjustment, compared to the fixed adjustment points on other Kun rests; also check out those feet.  They're wider and wrap around the edge of the fiddle better, plus the legs fold to allow for easier storage.

Stone, I'm sure the foam is replaceable one way or another!  Based on my experience with other Kun rests I don't expect to have to do so for some time.  On my oldest Kun Standard (more than 10 years old, but not used regularly for all that time) the foam is still pliable but has abraded in places.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006, 11:36:38 PM by madfiddler »

Offline buttermuffin4

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2006, 04:25:55 AM »
Sandra, What shoulder rest are you using?
It's a Viva or something among those lines.

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2006, 03:55:41 PM »
It's a Viva or something among those lines.

Knilling Viva or Viva La Musica?  I use a Knilling Viva on one of my other fiddles and find it very comfortable; I'd recommend it over the plastic Kun rests.  It's similar in concept to Kun Classic but more adjustable (they have a lateral adjustment system that gives more positioning choices than a standard Kun), and the feet grip the edge of the fiddle better than the standard Kun feet (but not as good as the Voce's).

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2006, 04:26:18 PM »
Let's go totally Latin

viva voce.

stone

« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:50:23 PM »
Quote from: woodwiz
Are you sure you even need one?

Hi woodwiz,

I would tend to think I have a short neck and most likely I don't even need one. But my violin teacher recommended that I buy Kun original (classic?).  Apparently, he thought I needed one. However, he assembled a 3/4 violin + 1/2 bow + 3/4 shoulder rest for me; so I am not sure whether he's got a size issue about me.  I was the only adult student he ever admitted at that time. :-)

Now I use a 4/4 violin + 4/4 bow (from time to time 3/4 bow, but not 1/2 any more) + 4/4 shoulder rest.  After school starts, I will show my teacher what I've got and see what she/he is going to say.

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »
I used to have a Kun, but it drove me crazy and fell off all the time.  It seemed to raise the violin too high for me, but then I'm a short person.  Then for a while I had a Playonair.  It was OK until it got punctured somehow and wouldn't hold air.  Then I went to a corduroy-covered foam pad and that seems to fit me perfectly.  I still have it although I've had to replace the elastic bands.

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2006, 12:51:27 AM »
...although I've had to replace the elastic bands.

The expense never ends with a fiddle :D

Offline dermod

Search Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »
The answer to your question, how to choose a shoulder rest, is explained on this link. http://violinmasterclass.com/stance_qt.php?video=stance_shoulder&sctn=Shoulder%20and%20Chin%20Rest   The brand to go for is Viva.  The rubber clamp will never damage your violin.

Offline Joyful noise

Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:53:32 PM »
Kun classic....have had two, first from age 16 to now and this one since June!
Just works finefor me...(despite researching to get "something different this time..."!)

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »
...although I've had to replace the elastic bands.

The expense never ends with a fiddle

LOL, swabby.  Between the elastic bands and the new Tourte mute, I'm gonna break the bank.   ;)

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:28:42 AM »
LOL, swabby.  Between the elastic bands and the new Tourte mute, I'm gonna break the bank.   ;)
Naw, just turn the piggy upside down and shake it, it should let go enough change that way!

I learned with a sponge and a padded corduroy thing like ConcertA has gotten, now Kun Classic has ended up as my choice for a rest, my teacher uses none at all, though I think he uses a little under shirt cheat pad if he is playing a lot.  As noted above, all very individual.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal