Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: my tourte bow..  (Read 7852 times)

Offline fiddle chick

• Total Badges: 26
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
my tourte bow..
« on: Dec 06, 2005, 03:24:38 AM »
I was doing some research about bows.
I have found I have a signature 'tourte' bow. I cannot find much info about it, just stamped 'tourte' not Francis, or anything else. Unfortunatly this is my gigging bow and has been dropped, thrown, spun,and many other things.

I only stumbled across this whilst trying to do a write up for a few 3/4 size bows I have to sell, they are non-signature.

This bow is quite nice to use, not outstanding, needs rehairing, and probably alot of care. ihave done niether. Oops.
Can anyone enlighten me about  my 'Tourte'?

Advertise Here

Offline woodwiz

• Total Badges: 24
    Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
Re: my tourte bow..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2005, 03:38:57 AM »
For about a hundred years, vendors like Carl Fischer, Tonk Brothers, Wm Lewis, etc sold bows modeled after those of famous makers.  They were simply stamped "Tourte", "Tubbs", "Bausch", "Didelot", etc.  I have a silver mounted bow from Fischer stamped "Tubbs".  It's a pretty good bow; I'm trying to find out who might have actally made it.  I suspect it might have been Franz Winkler.

Like violins with a Strad label, bows like ours are pretty common.  Strong odds are that it's nothing special, but it might be worth having it looked at by someone more knowledgeable when you have the opportunity. Meanwhile, if you like it, play it, and take care of it.  I've had this Tubbs model for years, and I'm just now starting to grow into it in terms of my ability. I didn't like it much at first, but as my technique improves, so does the bow.  Funny how that happens.......

Offline fiddle chick

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: my tourte bow..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005, 02:20:49 AM »
I do understand that 'tourte' is
 more than likely a trade mark, manufacturing under the rights of such and such....I did find info. to suggest  that early 'tourtes' did not have a signature, hence the rarity of them.Obviously, in a strange way a sign of authentisity, that can or cannot be proved!!

I dont think it is a lack of my ability to  appreciate the quality, but possibly more of many factors...as you suggest .......may be I shall go back to grass routes and consider;;stringes I use , etc and basic set-up.
Thanks for your responce....

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal