Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Ethics of selling the last of the Tartini Rosin - what's your opinion?  (Read 8420 times)

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
I'm all for ethical business lads, but, errrrrr, this is rosin we're talking about! It's only one make of rosin, not the whole of the shtuff that's running out. Or am I just not getting it? Must be a trad player thing ;)

Aaah, you know everyone here's a bunch of "gear-heads," always looking for an edge by trying different things!  It's easier than practicing... :) -Steve

Offline marktheharp

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Could be something in that - perhaps the rosins don't actually make any difference, but all these exotic rosins just contain stuff that you inhale when you play, and it makes you think you're playing better...which would also explain why manufacturers are so secretive about their formulations?

I think we should be told. I'm all for any product that means I don't have to practice (beer works for me).

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
I think we should be told. I'm all for any product that means I don't have to practice (beer works for me).

that's why you should use my bow hair :)  we soak it in a solution that makes you sound like Mark O'Connor! :) :)

Offline WildFiddler

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
that's why you should use my bow hair :)  we soak it in a solution that makes you sound like Mark O'Connor! :) :)
  So that's why I've been *dreaming* I sound good - the fumes from your beta bow hairs are making me delusional!  ;D

Offline foose4string

• 5 spangled dude

• Total Badges: 27
    Mobile User Search Tenth year Anniversary
Laced rosin, beer soaked hair....next thing you know, you guys are going to replace the silver wrap with hemp :D
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2005, 09:44:05 PM by foose4string »

Offline marktheharp

Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Smokin' idea!

Offline quinnt01

• I can't be bothered to edit my profile...

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Search
Rosin can also be cleaned with mineral spirits which is much less harmful to instrument varnish than alcohols.

With regard to mixing, rosin on a bow and hair breaks up into very small particles so when differnet rosins are used, about all you are doing is interspersing fine particles of differnet rosins which are all very similar chemically.  I would guess the final effect is proportional to the amounts and properties of the rosins used.

The rosins do not really mix in the sense of becoming a solution.  If you were to melt the rosins and blend them in the fluid state they would solidify into one compatible, homogeneous material and be truly mixed.

- Tom

Offline WildFiddler

This thread inspired me to clean all the rosin off my bows. So I did so. I blew excess rosin off with compressed air, then cleaned with alcohol. No problem with the alcohol. I was carefull and did'nt touch the wood.

Anyway, I have 4 cakes of un-used Tartini, which I applied to my bows. My bows have never sounded better, nor bit into the strings as nice. Is it the Tartini or the cleaning of excessive rosin?   If it is the Tartini, I'll have to break all ethics and stock-pile this stuff!   :laugh:

Offline postingtoomuch

Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
bummer, now you only have 3 cakes that you can sell for top dollars in 50 years ;)

wait a minute, is it unethical for you to keep 4 when you need one?  share!

Offline WildFiddler

bummer, now you only have 3 cakes that you can sell for top dollars in 50 years ;)

wait a minute, is it unethical for you to keep 4 when you need one?  share!
  sorry, no Tartini for you ...  I'm saving my ethics for important issues ...hmm, I'm thinking ...  ???   What's an important ethic?   Do unto others ...  hmm, what if I don't treat  myself good, do I still do unto others as I do unto myself?    ???    ;D     How about, is it ethical for me to think good happy thoughts, and to think good happy thoughts about others? Is that ethical?  ;D    The diffler is in a silly mood ...

Offline postingtoomuch

Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
in the spirit of the upcoming holiday seaon, your feeble plea is accepted. i only have one small cake, you have 4 large one?  life is real fair.. :laugh:

Offline WildFiddler

in the spirit of the upcoming holiday seaon, your feeble plea is accepted. i only have one small cake, you have 4 large one?  life is real fair.. :laugh:
  MyMotherLaidYearsOfGuiltTripsOnMeSoYourGuiltTripA ttempHasNoHopeAsItsNothingComparedToMomsGuiltTrip pingMrPostingTooMuchCallMePostingLongSentencesFid dleMan    :P    Whew!    :P How long a sentence can you make about Tartini Rosin Ethics?

Offline Steve_W

With regard to mixing, rosin on a bow and hair breaks up into very small particles so when differnet rosins are used, about all you are doing is interspersing fine particles of differnet rosins which are all very similar chemically.  I would guess the final effect is proportional to the amounts and properties of the rosins used.

The rosins do not really mix in the sense of becoming a solution.  If you were to melt the rosins and blend them in the fluid state they would solidify into one compatible, homogeneous material and be truly mixed.

- Tom

I agree however I've heard it claimed that the friction of the bow against the string actually melts the rosin and provides some of the grip; if true there actually could be some mixing going on (I think this is unlikely since I've never noticed any warming of my horsehair with use but I'm not used to dealing in microscopic sizes so could be wrong).

BTW I was still able to find Tartini rosin in my local shop today, although they do seem to be starting to run low.  I just got a full-sized cake of Soloist to supplement my mini.  At any rate supplies have not yet totally dried up so WildFiddler, I think there's no need to feel guilty about your hoard! ;D -Steve

Offline WildFiddler

BTW I was still able to find Tartini rosin in my local shop today, although they do seem to be starting to run low.  I just got a full-sized cake of Soloist to supplement my mini.  At any rate supplies have not yet totally dried up so WildFiddler, I think there's no need to feel guilty about your hoard! ;D -Steve
  Whew! :P  Thanks Steve, I feel better. I better start hoarding ...  ;D 

I do like this rosin. BTW, i was reading an interview with Carol Cooke, violist for Mark O'Connor - she really likes the Tartini - says it's real smooth.   

Any idea of shelf life for rosin?   What's the oldest rosin cake someone has?

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
Any idea of shelf life for rosin?   What's the oldest rosin cake someone has?
I have read and been told that it goes "dry" and is not as good after a year or so.

My oldest cake is 26 years old and has been retired.

Offline Steve_W

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I had a cake of Hill Dark that I calculate to have been 25 years old and when I replaced it with a new cake I didn't notice any difference in performance (OTOH I have a cake of AB that is around 20 years old and it seems significantly harder than when first purchased).  I've been wondering what it is that "goes bad" with rosin.  If it's oxidation it should be possible to seal extra cakes in a container with a non-oxygen atmosphere to extend the life.  If it's a water reaction (either losing or absorbing moisture) that also can be controlled.  If it's some sort of chemical reaction in the rosin itself I don't see a way to defeat the "shelf life" problem.  However I take heart from the story that Tartini rosin was reformulated from a cake of rosin found in an old violin case dating to Tartini's time that was still usable!   :)

Offline quinnt01

• I can't be bothered to edit my profile...

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Search
The reaction is oxidation, not hydrolysis.

The bit about deformulating a 250 year old cake of rosin is marketing hype. 

Offline Steve_W

The bit about deformulating a 250 year old cake of rosin is marketing hype. 

Oh, do you think? ;)  Well, oxidation shouldn't be too hard to deal with.  Time to start stockpiling Tartini! -Steve

Offline Lllizard

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
from Wildfiddler
Tartini Rosin - it's just a good rosin amongst others. A $20 cake of rosin. There are lots of other awesome rosin's to buy.   The market will simply look elsewhere, when it's gone.
So... what are the names of these other rosins -- only those not going out of business, please.  :)

Offline WildFiddler

from WildfiddlerSo... what are the names of these other rosins -- only those not going out of business, please.  :)
  Moytra Gold, Jade and Liebenzeller Metall-Kolophonium Gold (whew, that's a mouth-full  ;D).  

Offline rcc

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
I've had good luck with the Liebenzeller Gold.  And the new Dominant rosin seemed good as well.  But I like the Tartini Symphony better than either of them.

- Ray

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal