Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Old bow  (Read 1007 times)

Offline woodwiz

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
Old bow
« on: Dec 01, 2005, 10:09:16 PM »
I have an old, well used silver mounted bow that I am learning to appreciate more and more.  When I got it years ago, it was so worn that the name was almost rubbed off, most of the silver was gone from the wire wrap, the leather wrap was worn throughto the wood, and the wood itself had dips worn into it from use.  I figured that for anyone to use it that much, it must be pretty good, so I hung onto it.

The stamp on the player side says ** C FISCHER N Y **, and the other side has a stamp that says TUBBS.  I bought the bow with an 18th Century Viennese violin that I have long since sold. My understanding was that it came dfrom the estate of a college music professor.  The two stars is generally understood to indicate premium quality, I understand, but I'm beginning to wonder just what I've got here.

Does anybody have any information on who made Fischer's bows during the 20's and 30's. or know of any resources where I could get more info?  I have Erhart & Atchley's books - Earsel atchley was a friend mentor of sorts to me - but haven't found much that helps. I've contacted Fischer Co., but they just sell sheet music now and I doubt they can be much help.  I can Email pics if it helps.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal