Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Negri cases  (Read 8176 times)

Offline Don Stackhouse

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
Re: Negri cases
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2005, 06:58:18 PM »
I think I just had a heart attack.

Actually, when parked the trunk probably stays cooler than the inside of the car. It's when the car is parked that the heat builds up, and in that situation the interior of the car heats up the quickest. It's an insulated box with glass windows, which is in effect a solar collector. The trunk has no windows, so although it does get hot, it probably does not get quite as hot, nor as quickly, in most cases.

When the car is moving, the ventilation system keeps th einterior of the car cool, but there's also airflow past the trunk helping keep it near ambient.

That said, neither the interior of the car nor the trunk are likely to be good places for a musical instrument if the car is parked for mor than a few minutes. Based on some tests Burt Rutan did when developing his "VariEze" fiberglass homebuilt airplane design back in the '70's, a painted surface with an isulated cavity behind it, in the hot summer sun on a clear, still day, the temperature can get quite frightening. The dark colors were the worst. The surface temp of the black sample he tested was the worst, at about 180 degrees F. That's hot enough to cause burns, and certainly hot enough to soften the glue that holds your fiddle together.

While it's probably a bit on the conservative side, a good policy to follow might be:

"If it's not someplace you would leave a baby, you probably shouldn't leave your fiddle there, either."

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2005, 05:35:56 PM »
One thing you guys that have to leave your fiddles in the car, or transport them outdoors in heat or cold might consider is a good insulated case cover.  I live in an area that can get quite warm in the Summer and when I take my good fiddle out I use a Mooradian insulated cover with backpack straps [this one: http://www.mooradian.com/prod03.htm].  It provides good protection and extra insulation for my case (a Weber) and a big pocket for extra stuff that I need to carry to gigs.  The backpack straps are comfortable as well; there have been times that I've forgotten it was on my back!  I agree with Don's policy of not leaving your fiddle anywhere you wouldn't leave a baby but I feel much more comfortable leaving the fiddle in the trunk of my car for short periods when it has the case cover on. -Steve

stone

« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2005, 08:40:56 PM »
EDITED.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 03:11:00 AM by stone »

Offline guta

• Total Badges: 19
    Eighth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2005, 07:54:51 AM »
> The backpack straps are comfortable as well;

Thanks a lot for the link, Steve.  I love the packpack style; I once left behind my violin in a train in Munich when I rushed to get off after I awoke up just in time for my station...

[Thank godness! A German lady returned my violin to the shop I got it from. Happy ending.  :) ]

Ms. Stone - I think I'm having a heart attack.

P.S. Fritz Kreisler once did that with a Strad ....   He got it back too!!!

Offline apollonike

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:57:26 AM »
I don't know how they do that.

I mean, I always go to the back seat of my car to get my viola, out of habit...even when I don't have it with me.

stone

« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:49:49 AM »
EDITED.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 03:11:13 AM by stone »

stone

« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:50:59 AM »
EDITED.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 03:11:26 AM by stone »

Offline rcc

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:47:21 AM »
I don't like the backpack straps because the straps just aren't comfortable.

What works well for me is slinging the violin case vertically behind by back or by my side.

I looked all over for a violin case strap that would do this comfortably and wound up going with a luggage shoulder strap instead that has a *very* comfortable shoulder pad.  I figure if the thing is rated for a big heavy duffle bag, it ought to be fine with a < 10 lb. violin case.

- Ray

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:43:37 PM »
The advantage to backpack straps over a sling is that weight is more evenly distributed, so that your shoulders and back don't get as tired carrying the weight.  When I'm travelling to gigs I tend to haul a lot of stuff so prefer the backpack arrangement;  Mooradian's straps are well-padded and quite comfortable, for me anyway (BTW you can also get the cover with a padded sling strap instead of the backpack straps).  I hope I'm not sounding like a shill for Mooradian; I'm just very happy with their product; it's well-designed and well-made. -Steve

Offline rcc

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2005, 12:31:51 AM »
Nah, you're not sounding like Mooradian shill anymore than I'm sounding like Musafia shill :).  I agree with you about the straps.  I did quite a bit of looking and found only one shoulder/sling strap that was comfortable -- made by Eagle Creek.  (Brother, I'm shilling for yet another company, maybe I can work Nike, Coca-Cola, and Home Depot into this thread, too :)).

Do you know if Mooradian sells the straps by themselves?  It'd be useful to have comfortable backpack straps as opposed to the cleverly designed torture devices masquerading as backpack straps that come with every case I've seen (including/even Musafia).

- Ray

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:03:40 PM »
I think they sell the sling strap separately but I don't know about the backpack straps.  They're sewn into the case cover so I sort of doubt it. -Steve

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal