Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Negri cases  (Read 8171 times)

Offline guta

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    Eighth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
Negri cases
« on: Nov 21, 2005, 11:17:35 PM »
Does anybody own a Negri case, Diplomat or Milano? Pl. let me know what you think. I would like to find something comparable to the look and quality of the W.E. Hill cases of yesteryear, but am thinking there's nothing that good being made any longer.  What would you recommend?

Offline corien

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
Re: Negri cases
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2005, 11:23:28 PM »
I will buy a Musafia case as soon as I will have some spare money. They have a good reputation.

stone

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2005, 11:30:48 PM »
EDITED.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 03:09:42 AM by stone »

Offline violini

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 Eighth year Anniversary Super Combination
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:43:58 AM »
I think I like Negri a little bit more than Musaffia. I can't remember whether it is Diplomat or Milano, the entire interior of which is padded with soft leather. I've seen Kreisler's shaped Hill case in DC Mall. Inside the case, there are 2 Hill bows and the famous 1733 del Gesu. I own 2 Jaeger cases, one is covered with top grain cowhide and is still "brand new", the other one is for regular transportation. You know German made these cases like tanks. One time the airline forced me to check in my violin with the luggages, the case and the violin survived intact, but the case cover was torn.

Offline guta

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2005, 05:00:25 AM »
Thanks for the input you all. I also admire the Musafia cases, and want to see more. Right now they seem  almost too ornate, but I'm sure there  are quieter options that would show the violin more than the brocade. The negri attracts me because of the high grade leather covers, and the understated look of elegance. There used to be a maker called Christopher Gordge or something similar, but I can't find them on Google and they are probably out of production.

Offline Nfkfiddler

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2005, 09:02:02 AM »
Just wondering why anybody would want to carry four bows with a single fiddle........

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2005, 09:18:34 AM »
Just wondering why anybody would want to carry four bows with a single fiddle........

To distract people from my playing.

Gordge are here:

http://www.violin-cases.com/

Musafia are built like brick out-houses. Very solid but, very heavy.

Offline simon

• Total Badges: 28
    Apple User Search Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2005, 10:19:14 AM »
I've had a Gordge for about twenty years. Heavier than a lot of other cases, but you could probably drive a tank over it.

Offline natnot

• Cupboard Dweller
  • Mini Bree!
    • Natnot's homepage

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2005, 01:22:24 PM »

I keep all my bows, including the cheapest junkers, in my case with my main fiddle purely to avoid bow bugs. It makes sense to keep spare bows in the case that is most often used, so that the bugs don't settle.

Online Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2005, 01:26:30 PM »

I carry 4 bows also:
My Raposo, which is the bow I use 90% of the time.
My LaSalle, in case I somehow mess up the Raposo
Adam's CF Bow in case I get to do some fiddlin'
My Incredibow because I like to have it handy.

Back on topic...

I don't see the big deal with violin cases. Maybe that's because I spent 23 years touring as a rock musician. IDGARA (I Don't Give A Rat's butt) what the case looks like, or the color: I want it to protect the instrument. All of my keyboards were in Anvil Cases - not the prettiest things on the planet -, but even the time my Prophet-10 synth accidentally slid down 18 steps to hit a concrete floor, I wasn't overly concerned about damage: I knew the quality of Anvils.

Steve will attest that when I bought my fiddles, I told him or Gianna to pick out the color: I just wanted a good case that will protect the fiddle. The Musafias seem to knock other case manufacturers as they praise their own merits, and I don't see the justification in their higher cost.

I ended up with a Concord and a Core, and I see no reason to get a higher-priced case. They do everything I expect.

..Joe
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2005, 01:37:40 PM by Joe Gerardi »
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2005, 01:35:52 PM »

My 300 year old French pernambuco no-name
a green P&H composite with green bow hair - you guessed it: for Irish music :)
A TTCG Fiddlers
The new TTCG violin bow (going into Beta mode this January)

Offline corien

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:06:31 PM »
I carry just two bows: my main one, and a spare one in case the main one gets unusable. No need of more bows for me.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2005, 02:16:34 PM by corien »

Offline Nfkfiddler

« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:19:36 PM »
I actually find it quite difficult to change between bows taking several tunes (say 15mins or so) before I get back into my stride.     The only exception I've found is a change to the Incredibow.

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:20:54 PM »
I also have just 2 bows... no wait, I have 3!  I have my main one--still just a cheap one ($300), my old student one (even cheaper!) for emergencies or if I get the other one rehaired,  and a broken one that I use when it's "V week" in Kindergarten and I show my violins to the little kiddies.  I let them touch the broken bow with their grimy little fingers.  The broken bow my DH found in a trash can and brought home to me.

Offline Nfkfiddler

« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:30:33 PM »
Oh dear.   I've mutated this thread beyond recognition :-\

Offline guta

« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2005, 03:10:57 PM »
One aspect of the suspension cases intrigues me. The case wear on the violin is different i.e. instead instead the violin being rubbed in the center of the beck as it has been for hundreds of yrs, there is now a bar of wear across the top of the back and another across the bottom.  Years from now we will be seeing violins with non- traditional wear patterns, quite different in appearance from what we are used to.
Does this matter?  Maybe in 200 yrs  experts will be using wear patterns to date old fiddles, i.e. pre-suspension, post suspension, approximately 1990 being the turning point.

stone

« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2005, 04:30:12 PM »
EDITED.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 03:10:07 AM by stone »

Offline guta

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2005, 05:07:07 AM »
High Ms. Stone, thanks for the honorary degree in physics. I think I'll start working on a Nobel nomination.
I gave this highly important issue more consideration. We must remember that luthiers antique their instruments with traditional wear marks, and that will likely not change. When it comes down to it, all wear is interesting, especially if it takes place over time and in a natural way. Just my op.   Cheers,   Larry.

Offline rcc

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:23:13 PM »
Speaking as the owner of a Bobelock case and 2 Musafia cases, I think that with Musafia cases, you get what you pay for.

From what I can tell, Musafia does more testing of their cases than any other major manufacturer that I know of.

The Musafia Aeterum is a wonderful design -- lighter than a standard oblong case but with a lot of storage space.

And Musafia cases are no longer extremely heavy.  Musafia continually upgrades their designs and materials.  Their newest cases are all lighter than their counterparts that were manufactured even 3 years ago.

The other nice thing about Musafia is the range of customization you can get.  On the practical side, things like waterproofing, a more water-resistant closure, improved insulation, and frame strengthening are standard orderable options and if you ask, they'll also do things like bow tip cushion on the interior and who knows what else.

On the cosmetic side, you don't have to get one of their more garish/ornamental cases.

Both the Aeternum and double case I have are solid dark green silk velvet on the inside.  Very elegant and for Musafia, understated.

From what I gather, Negri and Gordge also have top-notch reputations in the world of expensive classical violins but I don't think you can go wrong with a Musafia.

And Musafia does use leather on the interior now in one of the high end cases so I bet you could custom order any case with leather.

- Ray Chen

stone

« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:59:14 PM »
EDITED.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 03:09:02 AM by stone »

Offline guta

« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2005, 06:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the info Ray.  The idea of a custom Musafia the way I like it sounds pretty good. From what you say they most likely give the best protection. The insulation option is also good, because I do a lot of driving around with the case in the trunk. Trying to play on a warm fiddle is not fun, as the pitch changes for the first 10 mins as it cools.
Ms. Stone - I also have a Bobelock, and see it as simply a utility case, no great shakes.
                    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!

stone

« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2005, 06:30:43 PM »
EDITED.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 03:09:16 AM by stone »

Offline apollonike

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2005, 07:02:18 PM »
I do a lot of driving around with the case in the trunk.

I think I just had a heart attack.

stone

« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2005, 02:52:27 PM »
EDITED.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 03:10:39 AM by stone »

Offline guta

« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2005, 05:40:59 AM »
"I think I just had a heart attack" - Not quite as bad as it sounds. I cover the case with a towel to insulate it, and leave  car windows partly open when I'm not in it.
Warm is O.K., Hot  not O.K..
BTW, Jascha Heifetz transported his violins in the trunk of his Mercedes. I observed him taking his case out and putting it at U.S.C., when I sat in on his class.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal