Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Peg Paste  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Nfkfiddler

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
Peg Paste
« on: Nov 08, 2005, 12:25:12 PM »
In another thread I see that several people carry peg paste in their fiddle cases.
I have good fitting pegs, and all my fiddles hold the tuning well, and I see no need for this stuff.

Does it work, and when/how often do you use it?

When I see people with slipping pegs etc. I always want to refit them.   I suspect that many believe that buying new pegs is enough to solve their problems.    They need fitting using the right tools which, quite honestly, are too expensive for occasion use.

Offline Mnfele

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
Re: Peg Paste
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2005, 01:21:13 PM »
Didn't reply to the other post but I have peg paste & compound in my case pocket. I haven't used either one in a very long time but like to have them "just in case". The only time I have used the paste was weather related. A very dry winter when the instruments were "drying out" during our 3 - 4 hour rehearsals. (I cannot keep a dampit humidifier in this violin during playing) I used the hiderpaste to help secure the pegs  long enough to get past the concert and then cleaned the pegs. Since the pegs fit correctly 99% of the time, refitting isn't really required. I would not recommend using the paste as a substitute for poorly fitting pegs. Haven't used the compound yet but might use it on my hardingfele drone pegs next summer when they swell. Humidity is so variable in Minnesota!

Offline ruadhan

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2005, 02:08:53 PM »
My pegs fit perfectly, but humidity changes a great deal and frequently here, often within the same day.  It can make the pegs swell and stick.  A little peg paste applied once every few months just keeps this from being a problem.  I just remove the pegs and lightly coat them with Hill Peg Compound whenever I find them sticking.  Maybe once in a six month period.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2005, 02:35:05 PM »
I keep the stuff around because every so often a student shows up with less than perfect pegs. There usually isn't time to fit them (or fit new ones) what with rolling back the carpet to keep the ebony shaving mess on the hard floor and all, so on goes a goodly smear of Hill's lipstick and off they go.

Even freshly fitted new pegs get a liberal doping with Hill's compound. Then they get a vigorous cranking in their holes, to get the sinking-in process well started before trimming and finishing the ends.
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:03:09 PM »
I put on some -- just a little -- at every string change.  It seems to keep everything turning smoothly.

Offline corien

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:10:24 PM »
I put on some -- just a little -- every 2 or 3 string changes. I use it for smoothness too.

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:14:36 PM »
I use it every time because it's so incredibly dry here.  Isn't Rome more humid?

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:54:31 PM »
so on goes a goodly smear of Hill's lipstick and off they go.

On the students?  :laugh:

Offline corien

« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:55:56 PM »
I use it every time because it's so incredibly dry here.  Isn't Rome more humid?

More humid than what? Than there? Hm, I don't know.

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2005, 04:04:32 PM »
Ooops....sorry, didn't give you anything to compare to...our average humidity is under 20% here. 

Offline corien

« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2005, 04:26:37 PM »
Ooops....sorry, didn't give you anything to compare to...our average humidity is under 20% here. 

Yes, more humid here. Could be 30-40% on average.

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2005, 04:42:17 PM »
In another thread I see that several people carry peg paste in their fiddle cases.
I have good fitting pegs, and all my fiddles hold the tuning well, and I see no need for this stuff.

Does it work, and when/how often do you use it?

When I see people with slipping pegs etc. I always want to refit them.   I suspect that many believe that buying new pegs is enough to solve their problems.    They need fitting using the right tools which, quite honestly, are too expensive for occasion use.

Proper application of peg dope evens things out; it keeps pegs slip- and stick- free.  As ruadhan said, with good-fitting pegs you don't need much; one sparing application every few months is plenty in this climate for my 2 best instruments (the 3rd has poor-fitting pegs but it's not worth putting much money into, so I use it more frequently on that instrument).  I think the stuff is somewhat abrasive, so it's probably best to use as little as possible (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  -Steve W.

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2005, 05:11:22 PM »
Mine ended up in the case with my old pegs, which were old and narrow and tended to stick/slip while tuning.  Since I got new pegs fitted last year, there has not been a problem, though are are getting a little sticky now so maybe it's time for a smear.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2005, 11:55:28 PM »
On the students? 

With experience I've learned to keep most of it on the shiny parts of the pegs. A fair amount crumbles off onto the table as well. Usually while I'm doping the pegs, the student is off in the other room playing my wife's teaching fiddle, so I've not had the chance to try direct application. Is there a particular spot on the student that works best for you?

I'll have to explore this some more before getting back to you with the results.  ;)
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:40:14 AM »
I think the stuff is somewhat abrasive, so it's probably best to use as little as possible (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
The W.E. Hill Stuff is ("A composition for pegs that have ceased to run smoothly", "to be applied sparingly") is, Hidesine Hiderpaste (looks like a hockey puck made with black candlewax) is not.

Hiderpaste literally looks like you drew on the peg with a black crayon, and vanishes as soon as you put the peg back in the peghole and turn it. (I keep a Bic lighter handy to melt the stuff in *very* sticky cases.) I use that for the "hard to turn" pegs, and the Hill stuff for the pegs that slip. I have a peghole reamer and peg shaver (from Elderly) and find I don't have to use them very often.

If you have a sacrificial fiddle that you use strictly for outdoor or strolling gigs, I'd recommend putting on a set of the guitar-style geared tuners... it can't be a fiddle you care too much about, as you do have to drill some extra holes in the pegbox to mount them. (In addition, a Glasser carbon bow makes you humidity and temperture impervious, or nearly so!)
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:51:24 AM »
If you have a sacrificial fiddle that you use strictly for outdoor or strolling gigs, I'd recommend putting on a set of the guitar-style geared tuners... it can't be a fiddle you care too much about, as you do have to drill some extra holes in the pegbox to mount them. (In addition, a Glasser carbon bow makes you humidity and temperture impervious, or nearly so!)
Better I think would be the Pegheads or a Caspari type in that case.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:00:22 AM »
Better I think would be the Pegheads or a Caspari type in that case.
If you're doing an expensive fiddle, sure... but the ones I get are $22 a set, and don't require a luthier to install (not that I couldn't). For the Peghedz you're looking at least $100US, plus the cost of having them fitted; that's more than some of my fiddles are worth.
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline ruadhan

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:58:51 AM »
Our Perfection Pegs look like ebony unless you look at them closely, and they are very tough.  No special adjustments to install them in your instrument.  You might need to slightly ream the peg holes if they are narrow.  Then you cut the tips off the pegs and sand them so no extra end sticks out.  Stick them in the peg box and give it a good turn.  Not much more to it than that.  But I've installed a lot of them, maybe I just think of it as too easy.  But those pegs are $129, so yes, they cost a bit if you just want them on a cheapy violin.  However, we don't charge much at all for them if you get them at the time you purchase a new violin.

Offline Nfkfiddler

Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2005, 09:24:55 AM »
Does anybody stock Perfection Pegs in the UK?   I have an associate interested.   Perhaps we could 'sort' something ruadhan..................

Offline ruadhan

« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2005, 09:46:53 PM »
If you would like to get them, I can ship them to you at very little cost.  Canada has excellent trade privileges with the UK, being a Commonwealth country.  And the pegs are so small that I can put them in an ordinary bubble envelop with the cardboard sandwhiching and send them quite affordably.  Off hand, I would guess S&H to be around $6. 

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal