Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: cushion tubing for shoulder rest feet  (Read 13316 times)

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Badges: (View All)
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: cushion tubing for shoulder rest feet
« Reply #25 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »
Yup. My teacher buys slingshots at WallyWorld, throws away the handle, and cuts the tubing for replacement feet.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline ApK

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #26 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »
Shouldn't have much trouble finding surgical tubing of the correct size.  Model shops around here carry it on big spools. 
However, when mine crumbled, I call Kun, and they send me out replacements for free.
Maybe just suggest your students call.

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #27 on: Oct 09, 2007, 10:01:12 PM »
Old thread.  Must have missed this one in my archive wanderings.  Anyway, I made a few slingshots and a device called a water weenie(or water willy) out of surgical tubing, many moons ago.  Purchased at the local drugstore off a big spool.  There were at least two different sizes available.  With a few cents of tubing, a nice y shaped branch, a piece of suede leather, and 4 rubber bands or so any kid could be a real Menace. 

Offline FiddleDoug

• Total Badges: 28
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2008, 04:46:21 AM »
Beeswing,
Don't know if you're still looking for tubing, but I just got some from 4fishin for Kun rests. Size is 3/16 ID, 1/16 wall, 1 1/2 inches per leg.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2008, 04:51:55 AM »
Thanks, Doug!

I had sorta let this one lapse, not hearing a lot of noise from the other room about it, but that looks perfect.

:D
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline Nick2

• Ape of scrape

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »
I've seen windings of old fashioned (cloth based) medical elastoplast used as a temporary fix. In fact I've got one shoulder rest that had a temporary fix done that way in 1972 and is still awaiting the permanent fix!
I'm finding the little rubber "humps" (that keep the claw off the base of the fiddle) seem to go most often on the Wolf rests.
Now ear this!

Offline Patrick Brown

• Total Badges: 17
    Sixth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:37:10 PM »
This reply is about 2.5 years late, from its inception, but, what Kun and the others use is the old tan/yellow latex surgical rubber tubing(not the clear stuff) that is exactly 5/16 inch (like the post above says, 3/16 inch inside diameter, and 1/16 on each wall, adds up to 5/16 inch) in diameter. I don't know what size they call that, because just last week I went to the Cashway Pharmacy here in town, where one of the fellas that works there, a friend, is also a sound man by trade, and we talk music and recording alot, and I brought in my old Kun Super with the feet kinda rotting away, but still enough there to see what size it was, and he walked over to a roll, took a look,,no, too big, wait a minute, went to the next roll, and there it was. He said '.90 a foot,' and cut off about 18 inches, and told me to take it,,wouldn't charge me. I went home, took the old feet off, one at a time, put some vaseline on the the metal part of the foot, worked it on, and then made the cut with some scissors. I've still a tad over a foot left of it. The shoulder rest looks new, at least for that part,,,the padding is a bit old.

Maybe the new big city chain pharmacies aren't so helpful, but it's still mom and pop enough around here in some respects to get stuff.

Pat

Offline martyn

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:48:10 PM »
put some vaseline on the the metal part of the foot,

I wonder if soapy water would do the same trick, that way the water dries out and the tubing stays fixed. With vaseline would there not be a tendency for the tubing to remain lubricated and therefore slip? Just a thought.

Offline ApK

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #33 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:51:34 AM »
The instructions that come with the Kun replacement tubing warn against using vaseline or any kind of lubricant.  Doesn't specifically say why, though.

Offline Don Stackhouse

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #34 on: Feb 25, 2008, 02:02:43 AM »
Vaseline is likely to attack the rubber over time. Soapy water should be OK, similar techniques are used in a number of applications with similar materials.

Note, you're not supposed to use Vaseline with latex condoms because it will attack them, with obvious potentially life-changing long-term consequences.

For lube for rubber motors on rubber-powered free-flight model airplanes, we used a 50/50 mix of glycerine and "tincure of green soap". The tincture of green soap came from the drug store, but then we would heat it on the stove until we drove off all the alcohol, then mix the remainder with the glycerine. Leaving the alcohol in it would have attacked the rubber.

Plain soap ("Ivory" brand would be best for this) doesn't significantly attack rubber. The water will squeeze out of the areas of greatest pressure fairly quickly, then evaporate over time.

Offline Patrick Brown

• Total Badges: 17
    Sixth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:18:46 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about the vaseline. At least I have more than a foot left of the tubing, and know where to get more of the same,,,very cheap. good to be in the know, though.  :)

Sadly, I got the Kuns so long ago, I'd have no idea where to find any instructions, though I'm usually good about saving that sort of stuff.

Pat

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal