Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Short neck Washburn Mandolin  (Read 2388 times)

Offline PeterG

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Short neck Washburn Mandolin
« on: Aug 19, 2005, 12:08:55 PM »
I bought a mandolin about 20 years ago, before I knew anything about them. It is a Washburn, made in Japan, I forget the model. It is the standard curved top and bottom, teardrop shape without the curls or corners. It has f holes. The big difference I have found is the neck is a lot shorter than any other mandolin I have seen, like a violin neck. Is anyone familiar with this type of instrument. I should add that this was not an expensive instrument although it is well built and still serves me faithfully.

Offline jessboo

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: Short neck Washburn Mandolin
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2005, 04:11:57 AM »
most mandolins of that era were copies of gibsons. gibson didn't start using a 15 fret neck on their a models untill they brought out flatiron in 1987.

Offline PeterG

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2005, 11:43:36 AM »
Thanks for the info, Jessboo. Most of the mandolins around here are patterned after the Gibson F5. I've never seen one like mine. All the A style ones have the longer neck. I thought mine must be some kind of oddball.

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2005, 08:22:41 PM »
I think mine must be similar to yours, Peter; it's an early '80s A model Washburn.  Like Jessboo says, it's more or less a copy of an old Gibson A (looks very similar to an early-1960s A-40).  Considering how cheap it was it has a decent sound, although in my opinion the action could be better.

Offline jessboo

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2005, 04:40:16 AM »
Washburn made some nice mandolins in the early '80s. They were Japanese but nice mandolins anyway. one of my first mandolins was 2 point Lyon and Healey copy. that was one of the loudest mandolins I ever owned. it was all hand carved and great wood. I just hated the short neck.

Offline PeterG

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2005, 12:16:57 PM »
I am not a great mandolin player. I don't have very fast hands. Since I started playing fiddle I have really neglected it but I still get it out once in a while to accompany a guitar. The neck on this mandolin feels a lot like a fiddle neck. When I play someone elses mandolin the neck always feels bulky to me. My mandolin playing friends all seem to like this instrument. I set the action down low so it plays easily but doesn't buzz with me playing as hard as I want to. It has a sweeter, more mellow tone than the F styles and I have gotten so used to it that I think I would buy another A style if I was ever in the market.  I seem to have gone fiddle crazy at the moment. I had my banjo out for the first time in 3 weeks last night and played for 3 hours at a jam. I still couldn't resist getting the fiddle out for a few minutes. I haven't had the mandolin in my hands for a month. So much music, so little time.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal