Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: wOOhOO New Eastman Mandolin  (Read 5320 times)

Offline farmerjones

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Search Linux User Mobile User
wOOhOO New Eastman Mandolin
« on: Aug 16, 2005, 04:17:16 PM »
Last Friday got me a MD614.  If you know what a F4 looks like. . . . An F pattern, but with an oval sound hole.  I love the mid-range and rich low registers that an oval seems to bring out.
There was an 815 hangin there to compare with.  IMHO an extra $1000 does not get you a better tone.  But these are individuals.  A month prior,  i played the same 815 for an hour and was trying to fenagle the bucks but held out for the oval. Very happy, glad i did.  The 614 had better release and tone to me than the 815.  This thing is set-up half as low action as my other two.  Maybe Steve P. can tell us what strings come on these things. The next time i pass a set of J74s I'll pick 'm up. It's just a lot of fun knowing something that sounds so good can only get better. 

Ok, the bragging lamp has been extinguished.

FJ

Offline WildFiddler

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
Re: wOOhOO New Eastman Mandolin
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2005, 04:35:54 PM »
Congrats on the new Eastman.   ;D

I found a link to your's:

http://www.eastmanstrings.com/eastmanmandolins/models/md614.html

Very, very nice.   ;D

After much fussing I also bought an Eastman. The sound quality per dollar is just the best.  I compared mine against 50 other mando's hanging on the wall.

I bought a 605, it's F holes, no scroll - A style body. Still very happy with it.  Same family as your 614.

Here a factory picture of my 605:

http://www.eastmanstrings.com/eastmanmandolins/models/md605.html

Mine has the scooped finger board at the end. I like that.

Don't take this wrong, but I'm not sure the extra $650 is worth it for a scroll. They do look pretty though and are handy to hang the strap from.  Of course I'm sure you picked your's out based on sound anyway. I did also. ;D

I use my mandolin mostly to get violin idea's.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2005, 04:47:12 PM by WildFiddler »

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 24
    Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2005, 04:46:18 PM »
They seem to be coming with J74 strings.  Advanced acoustic adjustment does very well on them.  www.mandovoodoo.com

Offline David M.

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2005, 08:08:10 PM »
Don't take this wrong, but I'm not sure the extra $650 is worth it for a scroll. They do look pretty though and are handy to hang the strap from.  Of course I'm sure you picked your's out based on sound anyway. I did also.

Shame on you!   ;D

Yessir, Farmerjones, this one's sweet.  Beautiful and nice sounding to boot.  Very nice looking mandolin.  Thanks for lettin' me pick on it some Saturday.  It's always scary to let somebody pick on one that's so new, so I appreciate it.

Offline farmerjones

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2005, 10:07:42 PM »
yes, scroll envy is a terrible thing :D

Y' never know Steve, i might come by some day for some voodoo. And i fully understand that this little mandolin road clear over here, all by itself in it's little case. Now i've adopted it, i'm not keen on sending it off. Insurance or not.

Offline WildFiddler

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2005, 11:04:37 PM »
yes, scroll envy is a terrible thing :D

Well, yeah. The scroll is very cool looking.  8)  Maybe someday I'll have spare cash for a scroll.  Scroll envy is not so terrible though.   ;D  My scrolless mando saved me money for more musical toys.  ;D 

Shame on you! 
  Shame on me.  ::)  Bad, evil Wildfiddler scroll envy.   ;D

Banter aside for one moment, someone reading all this may not know that the scroll, while extremely cool looking, does not enhance the sound of a mandolin. That was my intention ... I certainly did'nt mean to bust a bubble.

You have an awesome mandolin. In fact, our mandolin's are related.   :)

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2005, 12:18:02 AM »
The extra mass of the bigger neck block and additional "horn" block indeed effect the response and tone.  Probably not the original intent, but the effect is there.  F mandolins seem to benefit more from tuning the ribs than A mandolins for this reason (at least that's my hypothesis).

Offline WildFiddler

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2005, 12:46:08 AM »
The extra mass of the bigger neck block and additional "horn" block indeed effect the response and tone.  Probably not the original intent, but the effect is there.  F mandolins seem to benefit more from tuning the ribs than A mandolins for this reason (at least that's my hypothesis).

Wow, I stand corrected.  :o  I sure couldn't hear the improvement when I tried all those mando's out. I mis-thought it was understood among mando player's I've spoken with that the scroll was great for hanging the strap.  ;D I've joked with many mando player's about that. Guess I'm wrong. 

I even compared my A style Eastman with a few F style Eastmans, and indeed bought based on sound, not looks. Got lots of opinions in the store. 

Yes, some of those Eastmans are gorgeous. Had I bought on looks they had a b-eautiful natural wood F style. Cost over $2K more and didn't sound better to my ear.

One thing I noticed during the try-outs was that mando's didn't differ as greatly, as say, violins.

I sure couldn't tell the improvement response wise between and A and an F. But, thinking on it, you'd thing that mass of wood would make some difference - maybe with intellect but not to my ear.

Now my scroll envy is worse than ever ... ;D  I can always trade it up at Buffalo Brothers, but I'm happy with my scrolless ...  for now anyway ...

Perhaps scrolls have ancient wisdom ...  ;D

Anyway, farmerjones, you're a wiser man than me. Enjoy that mandolin. Hope to hear a recording of it someday.   ;D

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2005, 02:57:48 AM »
I didn't say the scroll improved things.  Just affected them.  I think the A mandolins generally sound better to me with less work on my part, but the F models often have a more chunky "chop."

Mandolins may well not differ as much as violins.  Mandolin players think they differ a large amount and that violins all sound the same. 

Offline David M.

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2005, 02:38:45 PM »
I went to Elderly Instruments recently and played most all their mandos on the wall and was VERY surprised how they differ in tone, volume, playability, tightness/looseness, etc.  Interesting experiment.  I wanted to buy something awful, but just left real depressed.

Offline farmerjones

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2005, 04:42:39 PM »
This will sound like i'm stroking my ego again and bumping this thread etc. But last nights jam i let our hostess play my mandolin. What struck me was how it sounded from the front. I won't go on about how much better it sounded etc. But it started me thinking.  I remember what Steve P. said about the fiddle under the ear. So when i was shopping and comparing fiddles i let someone else play it and i walked around listening to the projection.  It should indead be done with mandolins as well. Sometimes mando fever overcomes and this doesn't get done. It did not in my case. There was not another mando player about, buthtere should have been.
 In all fairness, scroll envy did get me too. Before this unit, i bought a $250 unit that should have cost $125. All that's in the past now.
I'm taking medication to prevent HD28 (Martin) fever  ;)
I hope the medical world comes up with something soon for banjos.  :o

FJ

Offline WildFiddler

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2005, 05:40:33 PM »
But last nights jam i let our hostess play my mandolin. What struck me was how it sounded from the front.

Yep, I know what you mean. If only we could hear ourselves, as others hear us.   :)   Short of amplification.

I hope the medical world comes up with something soon for banjos.  :o   

Sounds like you'll be farming a jones of instruments...   ;D  Ain't it fun though ...  I love getting new instruments.

Offline Traci

• I can't be bothered to edit my profile...

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 Eighth year Anniversary Super Combination
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:39:39 PM »
I have an Eastman 515 mando and just love it.  So I can completely see your excitement about your model...

Cheers,

Traci

Offline susiakasinead

« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2005, 03:49:41 PM »
That's a very nice looking mandolin.

Offline WildFiddler

« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2005, 05:29:42 PM »
I have an Eastman 515 mando and just love it.  So I can completely see your excitement about your model...

Cheers,

Traci
  The Eastman is incredible. When ever I play it, people wonder what the heck it is. It's got lots of volume and great tone.

Met another Mando picker at a jam. He had a $7,000 Collings with him. He really liked my Mando's tone and volume. His jaw dropped when I told him it cost $700.   ;D

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:30:37 PM »
They really are quite remarkable.  The MD505 "A" model at $520 - completely hand carved.  Very nice.

I sort of accidently slipped into being the world's biggest dealer in them.

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:42:49 PM »
I sort of accidently slipped into being the world's biggest dealer in them.

Have they figured out what they're doing as far as representation in the Northeast yet?  You know how small this world is.  I hear rumors all the time.  Latest is that they're scrapping their sales force and forming a deal with Paesold.

I've seen the line and I must admit I am very impressed.  I've yet to go to the Eastman factory in China (have not been invited, although I've asked).  I would love to go there and compare notes with what I have seen at the Sojing and Daewon factories (both make mandolins for American companies).

I have been to Sound to Earth (Weber) in Bozeman.  I was there in '97 when it was still Flatiron.  An old friend of mine, Chris Mills, worked on the line carving necks and backs.  Chris came down with kidney cancer in '98 and had to stop work at the factory.  That has nothing to do with anything except to say that Bruce donated a Gallatin F5 prototype to Chris' cancer fund auction.  I was the top bidder and I had it for a few years.  Very cool.  It was mahogany, brekke bridge, beautiful instrument.  Sweet sweet sound, more suitable for classical and jazz than bluegrass.  Great action, though. 

Offline WildFiddler

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:47:03 PM »
I have a 605. It's A style, with a brown Violin finish. Friend of mine has same, but with the scroll. His sounds similiar to mine. As mentioned earlier, that scroll is handy to hang the strap from.  ;D

I put a wire grid on the back to help it resonate freely. Made it even louder.

Avoid Michael Kelly's. Same price range, poor, thin tone. They look real fancy from 10 feet away. On close inspection the workmanship is very lacking.

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2005, 07:48:39 PM »
I don't know what Eastman is up to.

I like Webers fine.  Very different.  Quite stiff when new, which isn't bad.  One can loosen almost anything up in a torture box.  I have a mandolin humming away in mine right now.

I regularly get MK mandolins in to improve.  See www.mandovoodoo.com.  They come up a bit, but not as much as I'd like.

Offline PeterG

Windows User Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:32:08 AM »
Torture box???What is that? And how long do you torture the instrument for. Specific type of music played in it or just vibration?

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2005, 12:25:38 PM »
Just vibration.  And for a while.  Depends on when I need something.  I usually do a basic setup, then vibrate, then mandovoodoo things.

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2005, 12:45:23 PM »
a friend of mine, luthier also, has something similar.  it's basically a converted dremel tool that he clamps onto the bridge, and then hangs from a beam in his shop, allowing it to vibrate at a certain speed for a period of time - it helps convert a "green" chinese fiddle into something with a little bigger sound. 

Offline PeterG

Windows User Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2005, 12:24:58 PM »
How about just setting the instrument on top of the washing machine. ;D

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal